Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'87 944 with factory bondo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really related, but my grandfather (RIP) worked for Ford back during the 40's and 50's. He said cars would come off the shipping boats with DENTS in the doors, hoods, etc. The dealer would repair and re-paint and sell as new.

Maybe not today, but it WAS definately done in the past!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Tony - Manufacturing procedures in the 1960's and 1970's are not nearly what they were in the 1980's when our cars were made. The addition of robots and such have brought tolerances closer than ever before.

I too found some type of filler in the rear of my 951 when I stripped it for paint. I was the 3rd owner (first 2 were father/son). They disclosed information about a front end fender bender when I bought it, but nothing about the rear. With the minimal amount of filler that I found, I don't think it was in an accident.

Zinc dipped, 22-stage paint process, highest quality control... no matter what the process is almost every manufacturer in the 1980' used some sort of seam sealer.

The 1% that can't be properly filled or repaired will be scrapped and sent back to the melting pot.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I have never seen bondo on the roof seams on 944s from the factory and I have cut up over 50 of these things... I have one I can take pictures of the cross section of all 3 of the pillars or the roof if you like. Maybe German cars fit better than American or Italian cars of the past. I can take one door panel and switch from one car to the other and the drill holes line up every time where if I try the same thing with other makes (especially Jaguars, Rolls Royces), I have to drill new holes.
The 944 was put together with the seams hidden by the rain gutters, like modern cars. That should be obvious. I am referring to cars that had a seamless transition from the sides across the roof. The vynil tops so common on American cars in the 70s were an easy way to hide the often wavy rear pillars. Yes, "coachbuilt" and hand-assembled cars are a mess.

Here's another simple concept: The "bondo" junk at Autozone is the exception, not the norm. If a primer, sealer, and paint can all stick to metal and protect it from rust, what makes some of you think that a filler can't, too? We're talking shallow amounts here, like 1/16th of an inch. A grinder runs over a seam to cut down the high spots, and filler goes over it to smooth it out. You don't think they used body solder or lead on those Chryslers and Grand Prixs? You think someone spent more than a minute on something like that on a mass assembly line or that the Big Three used anything but the cheapest, fastest, easiest process?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Tony - Manufacturing procedures in the 1960's and 1970's are not nearly what they were in the 1980's when our cars were made..
Our cars are essentially products of the 1970s (924!), with gaping 1970s panel gaps! Still superior to American manufacturing. But nonetheless, line up any number of original, never hit 944s and compare the fit of the rear hatch and the closeness of the tire sidewall to the rear wheelwhell lip, and both will often be different side to side.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Our cars have some of the worst gaps of any car Ive ever owned. Worse than any GM product. the panel gaps on any 944 are double any gap on my 68 firebird.

Cmon guys, the seams are pathetic. With that said, I wouldnt be surprised if the zinc dipped body panel has a light coat of filler/bondo. Im with Tony on this one. This was a mass produced car after all.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For late 70s to mid 80s, you couldn't pay me enough to own a GM product other than a TPI engined Vette. My father's 77 nova had the door FALL OFF while driving for no reason other than a factory defect 1 month after he bought the car NEW. I guess that gap left from the lack of a door is larger than anything I have seen on any other make of car. I used to sell vettes and the f body camaro for parts and have taken my sawsall and torch to a quite a few of those before too. Believe me, they are very badly put together. I criticize anything if I see a defect and am not brand loyal. Tom, there are plenty of GM product that are worse than the 944. Buy a 83 skyhawk and drive it for a month and you will see. Before your 944S2 was stolen, I don't remember you making blanket statements like "worse than any GM product". What happened to get you to be so jaded?

BTW, I am cutting a 924S up for parts right now. If you want to see the lack of filler, I can cross section and take a picture of any piece you like.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Lego,
I mentioned my 68, not 70s Firebird. Look at the gaps between the panels of any 924/944. C'mon I'm not jaded, just pointing out the fact that the gaps are bigger on the 924/44s than just about any other car. Im not brand loyal either, just calling it as I see it.

If the panel gap is so large, I wouldnt put it past the factory to fill in a little here and there. But since you have taken apart numerous 924/44s I will defer to your experience/expertise when it comes to this.

Oh, by the way, we had an 85 or 86 skyhawk T type without a turbo in my parents house from 86 to about 92 when I was living in the city, then as a station car when I moved back to the burbs. It wasnt bad as long as you didnt try to top the 80mph top speed. for what we paid it was a good car. would have gone longer if the mechanic changed the water pump when I asked him to at about 98k miles instead of changing the radiator cap and adding water (in december). aargh! malpractice.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of cars get damaged coming of the boat, as someone else has mentioned. The drive them like absoute hoons as they are on a contract. My wife's panel beater always has new cars in for repair and that includes Porsches.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

American cars such as ford, chevy and GM and all made poorly, Poor enginering, poor build quality, they try to make up for it by stuffing monster engines and trannies in. I still dont believe that the factory would use bondo, Maybe a small layer of filler but not bondo. Im a toyota Tech and I know for sure that there is no bondo on new toyota cars

Quick Reply: '87 944 with factory bondo?