Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo vs Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 AM
DANNiE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerbay
Is the 2.7L block the same as the 3.0L block?
I would think it is... the Bore is the same... the crank has a longer stroke in the 3L S2... A 2.7L block would probally need different rods -shorter- and the edge of the block inside casing clearanced to allow the long stroke crank to pass... Not sure what would need to be done to make a 3L crank fit in that block...
Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

2.7 8v and S2 have the same block.

the 2.7 was a 104mm bore with the 2.5L crank (78.9mm stroke).

adding the 88mm stroke crank brought it from 2.7 to 3.0L.

an 88mm stroke crank will go straight into a 2.5 block, taking it to 2.8L, however you will need special rods to make it work.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default turbocharger vs supercharger estimating the hidden costs/break even point....

how far off might i be on a cost-comparison if i sourced a good number of used turbo parts....

for a true low-boost turbo vs supercharger shootout on paper ?

can you all help me adjust the numbers ?

i was posting on the "crack house" thread about the fake e-ram supercharger....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ercharger.html

where we concluded that NONE of these FAKE/scam products will ever increase horsepower under any circumstances...

i came up with some estimates.... first, that superchargers work well in:

1. economies with strong currencies (cheap fossil fuels).

2. drag racing / racing where burning 12 gallons of fuel in 4 seconds / or a few minutes is politically/economically feasible.....

3. commercial automotive applications running 5~8 pounds of boost. (see # 1).

there was a comment made in THAT thread (see link above) about superconductors (far and away, the highlight of the thread)..... emphasizing that it would require "superconductor" levels of battery and wiring efficiency on the order of multiple X times current practical limits to be able to store the massive, electrical power required to make a high-efficiency, centrifugal supercharger that works on demand, running an electric motor — workable.

if it was "workable," we'd have seen electric "NOS" a long time ago....

my conclusion is simply, that you have to go big....

(and not-only, because we lack the cheap superconductors/super-batteries required to make an "on demand" product work).

superchargers (centrifugal superchargers) require a delicate balance and are the sum total of several compromises. they can be made to work reasonably well making say, 6~12 pounds of boost, in small to medium displacement engines missing a few cylinders — but even here, it is extremely difficult to hide their glaring flaws in a daily driven car.

in recent years, automobile manufacturers have surely produced some very nice tangible, junior supercars, ranging from the small Lotus' to the Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru WRX and similar competitor's cars, to the Nissan 350 ZXs and Corvettes of the world — and they all deliver reasonably well in the "bang for the buck" context.... but you have to ask yourself one question: how many superchargers do you see running in these same, recent, production cars.

they all run high output n/a engines and turbochargers....

the cars running intercooled turbos are more efficient, and are especially attractive in banana republics where 5, or 6 dollar-per-gallon gasoline may soon become a reality—

of course, turbos require greater up-front costs.... but, if you run a supercharger, the hidden costs keep adding up, and before long, there's a break-even point. and it's likely to happn sooner than you think — maybe, 18~35 k miles down the road — and by the time you get there, you'll have laid out as much $$$$ as just going "turbo...."

here are some estimates i was able to come up with:

low boost turbocharger parts & install (w/out engine blueprinting): $11,500 (this number can vary by $1000s X)

low boost supercharger kit & install........................................... $5,500

difference.............................................................. ..............$6,000

difference in gallons of premium pump gas.......................... 1,900 gallons

turbocharged 968 vs supercharged 968:

fuel mileage with turbocharger: 25 MPG (highway).

fuel mileage with supercharger: 16 MPG (highway).

difference (estimate)................9 MPG

X 1900 Gallons = 17,100 Miles / the break even point ($$$$).

Old 12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

That post is nonsense IMO.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:04 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....how do u know gas mileage with supercharger is that number?

my acura rsx is epa mpg 21/28. combined 24. i currently have eaton roots blower on it with no aftercooler. (very inefficient from boosting point of view) the blower has a bypass valve when you're not heavy on the throttle.

i used to average 26-28 before i put the supercharge on. i now average 26mpg doing 80% highway. i maybe lost 1-2mpg going from NA to supercharged....so economics of consumption isn't significant. but economics of fun is definitely significant
Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the supercharger. With a roots type mileage will go down, because its always working. On a centrifical charger it won't be since it operates similar to a turbo. its just belt driven.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by odurandina

how far off might i be on a cost-comparison if i sourced a good number of used turbo parts....

for a true low-boost turbo vs supercharger shootout on paper ?

can you all help me adjust the numbers ?

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
That post is nonsense IMO.

Jfrahm,

in the opening lines of my post, where exactly do i state "this" is anything even close to the "final word" on the matter ?

in fact, the entire post is actually a question. completely expository post.

you remain "mum" on MPG numbers, even after being asked for your estimates.

we don't have a lot of data on centrifugal superchargers for 2.5s, 2.7s, variocams, etc...

feel free to enlighten us.

and one more thing to everyone. my post was talking "centrifugal superchargers."
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
It all depends on the supercharger. With a roots type mileage will go down, because its always working.
Not necessarily, roots type superchargers often have built in bypasses which drop their parasitic loss to 1-2HP when not in use, some are even setup with electric clutches on their pulley to eliminate that loss as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

pros and cons to each

more power for a given boost for a turbo
it uses exhaust Q/heat to power the compressor
a sc used engine power (it is generating) to drive it
losses may be 20-25% more with a sc

much less lag on a sc
more proportional boost (depending on type, positive displacement vs centrifugal)
sc may have a wider operating range
Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

here are some estimates i was able to come up with:

low boost turbocharger parts & install (w/out engine blueprinting): $11,500 (this number can vary by $1000s X)

low boost supercharger kit & install........................................... $5,500

difference.............................................................. ..............$6,000

difference in gallons of premium pump gas.......................... 1,900 gallons
where are you getting these random numbers? the 5500 i assume was like a SFR kit but what the hell are you looking at for an 11k turbo setup?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

am i high or low ?

Powerhaus will do a low-boost turbo for any 968 (adding a stronger headgasket ?) for about $14 or $15 K.

btw, forced induction threads, the world over, seem to get "heated." thus the need for more intercoolers.

anyway, the crack house got busted.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

btw, forced induction threads, the world over, seem to get "heated." thus the need for more intercoolers.

anyway, the crack house got busted.
in the thread you like to all a "crack house", it turned out that electric turbocharging is indeed a viable means of adding horsepower, according to mark kilbort. apparently he has had lots of experience using them and even supplied some dyno charts.

electric turbochargers are not a shameful source of technology to get greater power, and neither is NOS. neither of these options should be ignored if you are presented with the appropriate scenario that might require them.

weight reduction is the best way to get more "power" IMO, though it is obviously limited.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

bonus: i am the second person who posted "it's viable," in that thread....

frahm beat me to the punch by a couple of minutes.... DAM ! (as i was writing).

we were posting the same basic idea, independently.... i had never really thought of a serious, on demand/electric supercharger before, (i'm sure there are many on this forum who have)..... so as i was sort of "gaming" a system as Jfrahm was posting, and estimated that about 3 to 4 X the generating power of your typical alternator and on about the same order of battery capacity could be workable...

with automotive engineers fitting many workable options into cars nowadays, my instinct tells me that if such a system was workable using current battery technology.... we'd have seen it already. (not counting hybrid cars)..... but, our current batteries and alternators are at the mercy of considerable parasitic losses, and as a result, fall several orders of magnitude short on the multiple kilowatts of electricity that would be required....

when i see a stand alone device that adds 15~20 hp, and doesn't destroy your battery stamped on the cover of HotRod, i will be the first person to congratulate the inventor, and i would love to install one on my Ford Escape for all those hills in the war-zone where i love to surf....

so as to the question of such a system being viable.... i said nothing less: it's viable.

but, i'm not buying an eram to install on my Escape.....from page three of the eram thread:

a 3 or 4 psi increase at the intake manifold would REALLY help the cause of any medium displacement engine.

a forced induction system on demand (a closed off system) that would shut down, and via a bypass, default back to your general intake system would be possible, and likely, workable. it would require a real supercharger on the order of say 80 % of the size of an ordinary supercharger, run via a large electrical motor that would require on the order of perhaps 8~12 X 1,000 watts of power AND SPIN VERY FAST.... maybe run for less than a minute, get VERY hot in the process, and run your battery down very quickly....

it could be done. would it be practical ? i say, "to some extent, yes." it would beat having to recharge a bottle any old day, not burn up your pistons, or destroy your head gasket, and might weigh perhaps, 35 or 40 pounds.

would it produce miraculous performance gains ? no. would it hurt the overall performance of the car ? a little (anytime you add weight)....

okay, maybe it turns out that a 6~7 thousand watts will get us there.

the thing that gets me is that the posters WERE UNUSUALLY KIND to the op.

amazes me being called names for tongue in cheek, harmless remarks, after it had been so clearly demonstrated by many knowledgable posters, why this particular system WIll NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED.

THERE IS TOOOO MUCH AIR TO MOVE for that little cigarette smoke fan...

nothing against the op, or using "crack" as an analogy... as far as i'm concerned we're cool.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you quote yourself all of the time, is it like those people who speak in third-person all of the time?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
If you quote yourself all of the time, is it like those people who speak in third-person all of the time?
Lol. I wonder if there is a phrase like "self propagated trolling"?

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Supercharger