Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Wishbone, and a happy ending.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:24 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts
Exclamation 944 Wishbone, and a happy ending.

OK guys, here is a pic of a 944 wishbone. You know the one hooked to TWO tow trucks being ripped apart. The tow truck driver with the bigger half gets his wish..

OUCH!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2004, 11:27 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ouch....that is sad...so who got the wish?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Lol, thats pretty funny. And what was the wish?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:38 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts
Talking Now for the happy ending..

Actually, those are the extremely helpful tow truck guys loading what is left of Brian's 89 on to my trailer. To make a long story short, Brian got a VERY fair settlement from his insurance company. I won't go in to details but I don't think he has any reason to be unhappy with the settlement. Thanks to all of those who offered info on how to fight for it.
Much to the agent's surprise, YES, someone was interested in what was left over. The company released the salvage to Brian for the towing and storage costs. Brian saved his rear rims and the leftovers are here at my place for the grand sum of $320. Obviously, there is some good and a LOT of bad. Here's what I see so far:

The bad. The entire engine compartment is toasted, and the plastic melt blobs over everything. I'm guessing the only salvage up there may be a head, a block, and all the engine internals. The turbo may have a fair core and some exhaust parts may be salvageable. It is a huge, messy job to extract parts from it. The inside is GONE unless someone needed heat-treated seat frames. Every piece that once was aluminum is molten lava. The A arms, and parts of the front rims MELTED. This is sitting on my trailer, in my driveway, weeping fluids.

The GOOD: I think the LSD trans is salvageable. It wasn't leaking any lube and all seems in tact, including the cooler. I'd say with a rebuild it would be A1. The gas tank didn't pop, so a lot of the rear stuff is OK, like rotors, calipers, CVs, axles, and a nifty turbo rear valence.

Those rear rims in the pic are my spares, the originals were very discolored. Man, this is going to be a nasty job but for the price, I think I've got some great parts! I have no plans to sell any of them yet. I'm not sure what is useable for sure. If I can sell a few parts to pay for the 944fest, I'd say this beatiful girl was not lost in vain! Now go order your Fire Extinguishers!
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Getting my halatron tomorrow. I am going to get a mount for inside the car etc... Did you watch the mid-ohio runoffs on Speed? My pops + mom like they are every year. He is pretty excited about me doing SCCA racing when I get out of school, which will be never. My friends were calling me the MD, JD this weekend. Whatever. I am only going to law school. Those kids are in med school and they are taking out like 50k/yr in loans. Makes my loans look like a joke. At least I used my freed income for car parts :-). We are definately doing the same event next year like this summer @ the mid. Late

Quick Reply: 944 Wishbone, and a happy ending.