Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw something that intrigued me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004 | 01:17 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I owned a 924 and 944 when I was younger, I spent so much money on them it was unbelievable, and that was just in breakdowns. Now at 28, and on my second 951, I still spend a huge amount of cash (easily enough for a 964 or average 993 in the last 2 years), but it gets spent on mods not just maintenance. I will never sell my car, I will add to the Porsche collection though... 964/993 is next.
Old 11-27-2004 | 01:42 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I'm one of the people that 150 dollar repair hurts my bank account, but i've grown to live with the fact that I can't spend my money on anything but keeping my car running. I've grown to accept the fact that all my money will go to restoring / keeping my car running.

I have like 1.5k to my name.. and thats about what i need to rebuild my engine this winter... hwg!
Old 11-27-2004 | 02:11 AM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

I'm a Jeep guy, were so cheap we build our own bumpers, fenders, and suspensions. I do it because it give me something to do, a hobby. If I wheeled it and then took it to the mechanic to fix it, it just wouldn't be fun, just rent one at that point. Anyhow it's good to find a group of Porsche owners that are DIY just like my Jeep friends.
Old 11-27-2004 | 02:16 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

LOL...i just pray nothing will break anymore. She isnt getting a nickle out of me.
Old 11-27-2004 | 02:39 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

I can't afford it, i have like, 2k to my name, and that is all going away tomorrow...well, today actually...heh...anyway..I can't afford to fix somethign the moment it gets broken...not all the time anyway (going to be a lot better this go around...the writing is starting to get noticed and *gasp* I am starting to get paid for it)...but hell, i am lucky if I make around 10k a year...so...:P to all of ya'll j/p of course. But yes, i am young. And no, I don't have much money, but does that mean I love these cars any less? No, I just have to accept the fact I can't go out and buy video games, or go to the movies all the time. I have to save my money up so that when something does happen that requires my attention, I can tackle it no problems...
Old 11-27-2004 | 04:52 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

The socks thread (both of 'em) was the mother of all Pelican threads. To this very day, I carry a pair of socks in my glove compartment. No kidding. That thread taught me that socks are as potentially useful for emergency 944 repair as a towel is for. . . well. . . anything else (according to the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy").

They're red too - so there's double-meaning, being a Red Sox fan and all. . .
Old 11-27-2004 | 06:27 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
You know, for guys running around with 996's, it isnt a big deal for a lot of them to drop $30-40k in mods on their car.....could a 944 (and for the sake of my rant, when i say 944, i mean 951/24/etc) owner do that? A 944 is a 20 year old $5,000 car, it is going to break, and it is going to be bought by people that can only afford a $5,000 car. Is it the smartest decision to make? Nope, but people are still going to do it. And how quick the so called "911 mentality" will come out and say "Well, then they should wait before they can afford the repairs to buy a PORSCHE for god's sake." Maybe we should have car buying police....."Hm, lets see son, you only have $4,500, you can only buy a 1993 honda accord or nissan maxima, they are reliable and don't need many repairs." "Yes son, i know that 944 for sale for $4,000 looks nice, but you need at least 10k in the bank to be able to buy that beauty....too bad, i hear they handle like a dream." But in the real world these cars will be bought by people such as college students, grad students, hell even high school students, mechanics, new grads, all of who are trying to get on their feet, and sometimes you have to fab something up until you can afford the real part. I doubt anyone out there that is making $150-200k a year will be caught bitching about paying for a $40 shifter. For someone who can only afford a $5,000 car, a $150 repair item is going to hurt their bank account a bit. Some of these guys have a lot more time than money, and if they can spend 4 hours fabbing up a $40 part for a few bucks that works, then good for them. Maybe it is worth it for them, so that they can take the money they saved and take their kids to a movie. People on here act like "Oh my god, it is a porsche, it must only have top of the line brand new parts put on it." A 944 is not the greatest vehicle on the road by any means, yea it corners good and a turbo has decent acceleration, but come on, i got my *** handed to me by a maxima today. A 944, even with a turbo on it, is still a disposable piece of metal with 4 wheels just like every other car out there. I use to try and fab my own parts, such as doing a shifter fix, and yea, i found out that for ME it wasn't really worth it (mostly because i suck at making things), but if someone else wants to try it and can pull it off, then great good for them. It's great that some of the guys on here can afford to buy their car, and then dump another $10-20k in mods on them, thats awesome, i will soon be in that category too, but not yet. If you guys are sick of people trying to fix their own parts, fabricating something up, then go buy a higher end vehicle that costs more than 5 grand, which has a warranty, so you don't have to hear about people doing what they have to do to get by. I've got a hard head (my mother use to drop me when i was a baby alot), flame away.
I realize that these cars are purchased and maintained by enthusiasts, and as Martha Stewart would say, that is a good thing. There have been some innovative ideas that have surfaced because of that (well, and some not so innovative ideas).

I was just trying to make a point, that, people can't have it both ways. People bitch and complain on here all of the time about the lack of available tuners/aftermarket products for these cars, and about the fact that mods for these cars cost so much money compared to the same mods for other cars (ie, that carbon-fibre hood thread recently comes to mind). What tuner is going to consider spending the money on r&d and production to come up with a product en masse (enough so that it is a decent price), when people don't want to spend even the smallest amount of money ($40) on a factory part that fixes a problem the right way (and has a far greater chance of NOT leaving them stranded when it breaks in the middle of nowhere)?

That's all my point was.

Last edited by tifosiman; 11-27-2004 at 06:40 AM. Reason: fat fingers, doh!
Old 11-27-2004 | 11:16 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

someone fill me in on this sock thing?
Old 11-27-2004 | 11:37 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tifosiman

I was just trying to make a point, that, people can't have it both ways. People bitch and complain on here all of the time about the lack of available tuners/aftermarket products for these cars, and about the fact that mods for these cars cost so much money compared to the same mods for other cars (ie, that carbon-fibre hood thread recently comes to mind). What tuner is going to consider spending the money on r&d and production to come up with a product en masse (enough so that it is a decent price), when people don't want to spend even the smallest amount of money ($40) on a factory part that fixes a problem the right way (and has a far greater chance of NOT leaving them stranded when it breaks in the middle of nowhere)?

That's all my point was.
That is simple business economics though. The other day a i heard a delivery guy asked a porsche shop "Y'all only work on foreign cars, ya don't work on american cars?" No, just porsche, mercedes, VW, audi, was the response. "What, ya don't like american cars?" And the response was: It is a lot easier to get someone to spend 30-40k in mods on their car, who has just dropped 120k to buy it, than it is to get somone who just bought a $20k chevy malibu to drop money into mods on their car." A 944 isn't even a 20k car anymore.
Old 11-27-2004 | 12:42 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i dont know, i liked my cobbled together shifter, it was IMO a better design than the original and gave me some adjustability. Of course, i have a welder, a bolt, a lock nut, and a drill, but at the time that $40. could have gone to better things like a timing belt. Some people say, hey, why dont you just buy a new floor pan for that car, its easier. Well, easier=$150. where for like $15.00 and some time i can fix it with some sheetmetal. Then i can spend that money on rear suspension bushings and what not. If i had the money to do everything the correct way...well i might, but fixed is fixed.
Old 11-27-2004 | 01:46 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah im interested in this sock thing too? Any links?
Old 11-27-2004 | 02:19 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Look up the phrase "Socks tensioning" or "tensioning your socks" over there. It was so funny it's actually in my sig line at PP forums. Which, I may add, I get to maybe once a month. The OT is out of control and the 924/44 boards are pretty dead. Better community here. I did meet a bunch of the 911 PP forums guys 2 years ago in Hershey- a bunch of really nice and unpretencious guys.
Old 11-27-2004 | 06:51 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Yeah im interested in this sock thing too? Any links?
I too have have a reference to socks in my info @ pelican " Sock Tensioner "

Anyway, here's the link that started it all
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=139717

Then it just spread from there

enjoy
Don
Old 11-27-2004 | 06:56 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Thanks Don- I was too lazy to spend any time at PPBBS to even look it up.

Yep- that's the one.

Quick Reply: Saw something that intrigued me...