Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end seals compatibilitititlity

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 05:50 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end seals compatibilitititlity

the front end seals.....are they wiper seals? is the front and rear main/crank seals the same size? same shape? does anyone have some "domestic" numbers or a parts list that i can cross reference at work to come up with a set? do you people know that with a discount, a freaking oil pan gasket is about 140?!?!?!? thanks everyone. im just not sure what all i need to reseal for the balance shafts and other things...what else is there?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:12 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't have all this info, but I did try to source seals for a recent 928 rebuild. After figuring out the dimensions deciding what the material should be left me stumped. Did look like I could save a few bucks over Porsche seals, but not enough to matter.

I was left thinking that a person, or business, that was ambitious could buy a bunch and sell kits of the seals.They are just regular stock parts in the end.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:47 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

kenny - there is a heck of a lot of seals on the lower end of the engine. you could consider getting an entire lower end seal kit which would have:
oil pan gasket
upper and lower balance shaft seals and bearings
front and rear main seals (they are much different sizes)
water pump seal
oil cooler seals

ALONG WITH:
rod end nuts
a few crush washers
maybe a couple other things?

i bought an entire upper and lower rebuild kit from Zims for about $650 but you could probably find just the lower kit for half that.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:43 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

does anyone know of anywhere on the internet that i could find an exploded view or just atleast a parts list of these seals and bearings? i have an auto atlanta catalog showing them, but dont they use their own numbers instead of porsche part numbers?
Old 11-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey joseph what all was included with that rebuild kit...the things you listed?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:00 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
do you people know that with a discount, a freaking oil pan gasket is about 140?!?!?!? thanks everyone. im just not sure what all i need to reseal for the balance shafts and other things...what else is there?
What! Not sure where you're looking for your oil pan gasket, but mine was $60.00 from the dealer. And as for the front seals, I bought a kit from Paragon Products for $82.00. Not bad if you ask me, just a few bucks for each seal in the kit. They gave me awesome service, I will always go there if they have what I need. http://paragon-products.com Hope you find what you're lookin' for!
Old 11-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Trevor, you're talking about the upper seals I believe. He needs the lower.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:12 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Porsche numbers come in a few flavors. The most common are the 11 digit sequnces where the first three are the vehicle model, the next three are a part of the car, the next three are a specifics component and the last two are the version of the part. Like: 944 101 205 02

Then there are the 900, 999 and "N" series numbers which are nut and bolts and various bits available off-the-shelf. In our cars there's the 477 series which, I think, are related to VW/Audi numbers.

You can see the Porsche numbers here:
http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/944catalog.html

Pelican often uses them too but takes the first three digits off.

If you look in the PET the seals sometimes include the measurements. Sometimes not!
Old 11-27-2004, 12:02 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

since im doing this over time....do you think its possible to just take the individual seals and bearings to match them up? or are they freakish seals? maybe when i looked at the oil pan gasket, it wasnt with my discount. i work at napa, and things that normally cost 25 are around 10-15 for me and just pennies for bolts and that jazz. so im trying to keep the amount down as low as possible.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:09 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

I suppose you could, but the seals are all metric. As I mentioned, I looked into this and gave up as there are a lot of variations in materials and construction available so getting the right seal becomes a crap shoot.

I was looking at catalogs on-line. If you could go to a warehouse and compare head-to-head it would be easier.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:48 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by azndrvr447
hey joseph what all was included with that rebuild kit...the things you listed?
i purchased an upper rebuild kit in addition to the lower rebuild kit, which made a complete engine rebuild kit. it had valve guides and bearings (rod and main) as well, but i don't think you would get those in a simple lower rebuild kit. everything i listed comes in the lower kit.

oh yeah, plus an oil pickup seal (how could i forget that.......i forgot it the first time and had to redo the oilpan gasket seal.)
Old 11-27-2004, 02:54 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Strike-Force
Trevor, you're talking about the upper seals I believe. He needs the lower.
Ah. sorry.

I checked prices on my oil pan gasket at auto parts stores too, and it was about that much (130), but the stock part from the dealer was $55 and some tax. If you are close to one, I recomend stopping in.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:32 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not sure if we're referring to the same thing, but I've never seen an oil pan gasket list that high. They're $47 from Lindsey Racing here:

http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...44OILPANGASKET

Sam
Old 11-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are several re-seal kits available as it is. The truth of the matter is unless you're doing a complete engine rebuild out of the car on a stand, you're never going to do them all at once - there's just too much pulling stuff apart involved. Get a kit and do the ones that are appropriate for whatever other repairs you happen to be doing as "while I'm in there" sorts of things. That's my $0.02 on it.

For example, my recent belt job / water pump replacement gave me an opportunity to do the balance shaft & crank front seals, the water pump seal (obviously), the coolant elbow seal, and a few others. When the oil pan comes off to do the rod bearings in a month or so there's a chance to do the oil pan gasket, the oil cooler & pump seals, etc. . .
Old 11-27-2004, 06:47 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yeah i have the front end apart and im just doing it while im in there. i was hoping my leaks were only my oil cooler, but that didnt stop them all....i did that last may maybe. and i got what my price would be for the oil pan gasket>>44.68

Quick Reply: front end seals compatibilitititlity