Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the oil filter without mess

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 05:44 PM
RennBod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the oil filter without mess

Someone out there must have discovered the way to remove the oil filter from our 944's without making a big mess?... please say you have!!

At the moment, all I do is pack around the oil filter with lots of disposable towels... but there must be a better way... no matter what I do, I always end up with oil all over the anti roll bar and another black patch on the ground to explain to the wife!

So whats everyone here's tips for this?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i always have newpaper or something worthless that can get dirty underneath the car besides my oil catch pan..for removing the oil filter i do the same thing with packing towels around it...but while im removing it i'll tilt it up slightly and then immediately turn it upside down...i've only changed my oil twice before without having a mess to deal with (ive spent more time fixing it than driving it in the past year i've owned it..but hey i love her more and more every day)
Old 11-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

honestly.. if you dont want oil spillage when you change the oil filter and you dont want to do any fancy "bag trick" etc.. then what you really want to do is jack the front of the car up unevenly.. so that the drivers side is one notch higher on the jackstand than the passengers side (maybe 2 notches.. maybe 3.. youll notice the oil coming out way faster when its higher) and let it sit for a few hours. Once ALL your oil is out of there, it wont leak when you take the filter off.

others have mentioned this as well... so it must be true

ive only changed my oil twice.. and the first time i let ALL the oil drip out and there wasnt one drop around the filter. the second time i was impatient and had a little leakage...
Old 11-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Danno had a great method involving a plastic bag. AKA the infamous 'Incredible Hulk' oil change. Trying to find it now...

Edit - https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=53635
Old 11-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link Duck,that is a classic. Green hands in the pictures and the one comment is a hoot.
"I've removed my cylinder-head to get a better photo for you"
Old 11-25-2004, 07:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im calling it quits and moving towards a remote mount oil filter setup. The best spot I can see is where the power steering fluid tank sits, so I have to decide about that. But after that, oil changes will be as simple as maybe undoing a hose clamp, holding the whole assembly over a bucket and changing the filter. No mess at all.

I think ive done 6 oil changes so far this year since purchase in March.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I'm considering a remote filter mount as well, but it looks like I'll be out about $200-$300 to do it, not worth it IMO.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

Never tried it, but I read that it's a 911 trick to punch a hole in the filter can and use compressed air to blow the oil back into the engine before removing the filter. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:55 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a plastic ketchup bottle with one of the wide flat sides cut away. now it is a spillway that will fit up under the filter mount the you can point the nozzel down into the pan. i use it all the time and dont spill a drop.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:16 PM
painkiller
Racer

I have been using this proceedure for a couple of years now and do not have any oil spilling out or filling the cavity where the oil thermostat lives.

Take a sharpened metal punch or screw starter and punch a small hole in the center of the filter. Open the drain plug and let the oil start draining with the oil cap off. After most of the oil has drained replace the oil cap and use a rubber tipped blow gun with your compressor or air tank and apply 40-50 psi through the hole in the filter. After this remove the filter and complete the service.

Others may have more knowledge but with the oil cap on the pressure and the oil will be forced to the pan drain blowing most of the oil out of the filter and not into other areas or a galley within the engine.

PK
Old 11-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, that bag method seems kind of interesting. Has anyone else been able to do it. I would like to find a clean way to change my filter too. I just use the good old stuff the area with paper towel methods but may give this new one a shot.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

It works, been there done it. BTW, you have to have geen skin to do this correctly.

Now next on the list, how to drain the oil without making a mess.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Giantviper
Wow, that bag method seems kind of interesting. Has anyone else been able to do it. I would like to find a clean way to change my filter too. I just use the good old stuff the area with paper towel methods but may give this new one a shot.
You betcha it works! I do it this way from now on. I like to run the engine to normal operating temp, drain the oil taking just a little extra time to let things cool around the filter area a bit, loosen filter a little first, then BAG it. Everytime I change my oil now, I think of green hands and Danno!
I've tried a few other methods of doing it, like the tin foil ramp, but find it just easier and quicker to do the, bag it trick. I do it on both cars in my sig, and it works with both the power, and the manual steering cars of mine real well. Do it a time or two, you'll get the hang of it real good.....but I think beab951 is right about the green skin...........at least it makes a heck of an impression!
Old 11-26-2004, 04:09 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive attempted the bag trick, maybe im just more of a klutz than I admit but it never seemed to work for me...
Old 11-26-2004, 10:55 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Thumbs down

Jeeeze, why would anyone pressurize the oil filter to drain the remaining oil? What side of the filter are you pressurizing, the dirty or the clean side?

Quick Reply: Removing the oil filter without mess