Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler leaking coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:50 AM
RennBod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, can we have a bit of a poll... Who here hasnt got a heat sheild between their oil cooler and exhaust headers??? And with what effect?

I am just wondering that as my 944 only does lots of short journeys, if it may actually be beneficial not having the sheild there as it may help get the car up to tempreture quicker (never tracked, never driven hard on long journeys)
Old 11-27-2004, 09:59 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a thread on the whole heat shield subject about a week or so ago. My '89 has one but there are several who do not. I've decided to keep mine on after I do the oil cooler fix.

Heat Shield Rattle

How did everything work out with your oil cooler? Did you end up taking off the mainifold?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:56 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

renn bod, what kind of oil filter does your friend's car have? I have seen several such problems with cars that were fitted with Mecca filters, the check valves do not work and allow the filters to drain when the engine is turned off. Once you start the engine, it takes several seconds for the filter to fill up before you have pressure.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:46 PM
RennBod
Instructor

MHT, Oil filter on the turbo was a knecht/Mahle filter, even tried a MANN filter on it, but with the same results. On thursday I hope to pull the OPRV and replace the o-ring (assuming its a single part item)
Old 11-30-2004, 07:59 PM
RennBod
Instructor

Oil cooler reseal completed yesterday!!!!!!!

I didnt want to report back until I was sure I had not done something wrong which would see me doing it again... But following test driving the car today, I can report that the cooler is no longer dripping coolant, I have no milkshake in the coolant tank.. I did not have any milkshake in the coolant tank before I started the work anyway, but I was so sure that I may have damaged an o-ring when fitting the cooler, that I almost expected it now!

Anyway... didnt take off the exhaust manifold, but if I had to do this again I possibly would next time, just to see how much easier it makes it.

Apart from that, it really was reasonably easy... but having said that, its a royal PITA as far as workspace or access goes.

I now feel very proud of myself!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:04 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

I'm going to do mine this weekend pending parts arrival.

Did you put the car up on jack stands or just drive it up on ramps? How long did the total project take?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:14 PM
RennBod
Instructor

I had the car up as high as I could get it on jack stands. (about 2 feet 6 inches I guess)

I guess I spent about 2 days on the project... actual working time was probably around 3 hours, with the rest of the time spent researching on the internet, worrying, examining parts, worrying, drinking coffee, looking at parts and finally worrying some more!

If I was to do it again, you could cut out the research time, the worrying time, and a good part of the examining parts time.. so I would expect it to be done in around 3 hours, but would probably still spend a lot of time worrying.

One thing I did, that some people dont do... I not only used the oil cooler housing gasket, but I also used a quality gasket sealer too... I was going to assemble it without sealant, but decided to use some because my block had some pitting around where the rubber secion of the gasket sits.. I scraped it all clean with a razor, still had some pitting, then used a block and some sand paper, still had some pitting, so decided to use some Wurth RTV (?) sealant... I just put a smear on the cooler housing face, and some on the block about 15 mins before assembly... then fitted the gasket to the cooler housing and spent some time trying to squeeze the housing through the gap between the steering rack, chassis rail, power steering pump bracket (I unmounted the pump), which is a tight squeeze.

I think the RTV was mainly for my own piece of mind and I just used a very light smear of it, I was paranoid that on the one hand I might get a leak due to the pitting... on the other hand I wanted to make sure that I didnt use too much and the excess may end up floating around the cooling system.

All in all, I could not have done it without rennlist!

Quick Reply: Oil cooler leaking coolant?