Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 06:00 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue?

Today while driving I noticed my temp. gauge was reading at the upper third tick mark and started going past it into the red zone. Usually it sticks near the second mark. While driving the temperature would go down again, but while idling it would seem to run hotter than normal. I checked the fans and they were on so that wasn't the issue.

I drove again a bit later on and noticed that everything seamed normal again. One thing I realized was that earlier I had my rear defroster on. (That couldn't be it!) But just for fun I switched it on and the temperature gauge goes up a bit. Then I try the lights, and it goes up a bit more, then the fog lights, etc. etc.

So what started as an engine issue, seems to be an electrical issue (maybe?) Does this sound like a grounding thing? My voltmeter did seem to read lower than normal today at 12 with a full load on (lights, defroster, high speed fan, radio, etc.). But I think it usually reads around 12 with everything on.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:33 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At times, I noticed that the temperature gauge would suddenly drop when the fans came on. I assume that this was caused by lower system voltage because of the current drawn by the fans.

I don't think it's a grounding thing. Probably more likely a battery thing or a voltage regualtor thing.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue?