Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate my new clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:26 AM
unsigned
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an ACT 2200 and a Fidanza Al. flywheel in my '92 Maxima. (yes, Maxima, its been a fun project) I'm also of the opinion that I may not do that again. The revs drop soooo quick, starting in first is a pain, and there is a bit of chatter in first, when rolling through parking lots and such. Bill's list is nice, but the only possibility for my chatter is maybe not knowing how to drive... I did the install myself, and it was right. I love the Max, but it is a a harder car to drive now.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use an ACT Xtreme with a puck on the RX7 and I love it.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:53 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dam, I was going to use a LWFW and spec stage 2 clucth on my 87 924S, I am doing some mods and a nitrous kit, but from all the bad things Im hearing maybe I wont go with the SPec clutch. I think I could learn to like the lwfl
Old 11-20-2004, 02:05 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect that the balky starting and stalling has more to do with the lightening process and is complicated by the dragging/chatter.

You guys, I really like my centerforce unit. It chattered a little, but nowhere near the degree your describing. It's a good clutch. I've heard bad things about centerforce clutches on these boards too so go figure. I have problems w/ stop and go traffic, but usually it's because I get sloppy with my clutch inputs because I hate driving a 951 in traffic.(HATE IT) I cant say I have any real complaints w/ mine at 3000 miles on it, though. Just the same, may I recommend Paragon next time you need a clutch? This just plain sounds like up-selling. It's 150 at the flywheel, 175 w/ all the Lindsey bolt ons you can throw at it, why the gnarly clutch? I guess there are reasons why there is a statement on every invoice that says "these parts are for off-road and racing applications only" - or something like that. Thanks for speaking up about it you guys.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:35 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I usually like a nice, smooth, easy clutch with not much effort. I dont know but I'm a pretty lazy driver. After a while of driving I just get tired of all the effort it takes. But I know exactly how you feel like. On my RX-7 it was god damn embarrasing driving the car because the clutch was meant for the dragstrip. Chattered as it engaged, stalled with ease didnt take much. Constant rocking from shifts. After a while you just get tired and want effortless driving.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:11 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

With all the bad press the Spec II's get all over these boards I don't know why anyone would take the chance. I love my KEP PP w/lightened OEM FW.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill: The flywheel was a new one, not resurfaced. Same goes for clutch plate, pressure plate, t/o bearing etc basically everything 'while your in there' clutch job. Chattered since car first started with a new clutch till this day........
Hos,

Just because parts are new, does not mean that they are not damaged, incorrect, or can cause problems.

New flywheels usually have an anti-oxidant coating on them, was this cleaned off? This coating would imbed itself into the friction surface of the clutch disk and could cause chatter.

If a new pressure plate is installed incorrectly, ie; not tightening the bolts in the specified sequence, the new pressure plate can be warped.

I have seen brand new parts that were bad. Been given incorrect parts.

If careful inspection, cleaning and installation methods are not followed, a brand new installation easly could require removal and replacement.

A clutch pedal is meant to be hard as a rock, toss away that girly pressure plate
Girly....maybe. If I wanted to build up my left leg muscles, I'll do it in a gym and not every day in rush hour traffic, thank you!

Kinda like the waitress that has one boob larger that the other, because she always carries the coffee pot in the same arm.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, that last line is classic. I hate the feel of the stock clutch. I like them solid, then again I like the puck setups that most people hate. To each his/her own.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:33 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is any comfort Ken, you are not alone, I know of at least 6 people that had similar advice and are in the same position as you. I have just bought a KEP PP and cup disk and lightened stock fly... this was after Lindsey suggested I get the Stage 3 Spec... which I said had all these issues according to people opinions, they said those people didnt know what they were talking about and the clutch is ideal for a street application with my power. Seems LR have not been listening to their customers about their products, which is a shame really.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

One thing that can cause some of those symptoms is a sticky pilot bearing. I doubt that is the cause, but they might not have replaced it.

I did the lightweight flywheel and clutch on my 964. It behaved somewhat like yours as far as being pickey about engaging gears and maintaining engine speed. The gear issue is simply the way it is. You need to hone your shifting/clutching skills as these systems are less forgiving to bad shifting techniques.

The engine speed issue may be related to the fuel maping curves of the engine. As the rotating mass is reduced the deceleration time increases and the engine fuel mapping processor can't keep up. At least that was the issue with the 964.

The 964 also made more transmission ratteling, too. That is the nature of the beast. Check out a new 996 GT3 RS and listen to the noise that makes. I am told it rattles, too.

Marv
Old 11-21-2004, 03:19 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Bill,
Yes, I totally agree with you. In my case besides cleaning
the surface of both the flywheel & PP, I even install a diy
pointer so that I could check for run out of the flywheel
as well as the PP during the install. I think lots of people
make the mistake of assuming that if the surface is flat,
bolting anything to it will be flat as well. Which is a big
mistake.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:24 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
The 964 also made more transmission ratteling, too. That is the nature of the beast.
Mine does the same after the LWFW and Stg. II were added. Your chattering should get better as the miles add up, so just go driving with lots of match revving, downshifting, double-clutching, etc...have fun!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:01 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

v944god stated: "After a while of driving I just get tired of all the effort it takes. But I know exactly how you feel like. On my RX-7 it was god damn embarrasing driving the car because the clutch was meant for the dragstrip. Chattered as it engaged, stalled with ease didnt take much. Constant rocking from shifts. After a while you just get tired and want effortless driving."

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL...WELL SAID!
IT HAS MADE UP MY MIND TO SELL MY CAR. I AM GOING TO DRIVE IT FOR THE WINTER AND SELL COME SPRING, TO GET AT LEAST SOME $$$$$OUT OF THE RECENT WORK I HAVE HAD DONE TO IT (CLUTCH, SHORT SHIFT KIT, ALL BELTS, WATER PUMP, MOTOR MOUNTS, "THE WHOLE WHILE YOUR IN THERE THING")....IT RUNS SO GOOD, LIKE A NEW CAR. BUT I WANT A SMOOTHER EFFORT FREE CLUTCH AND CAR!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ducati clutch rattle is like music.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:03 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KenC
THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL...WELL SAID!
IT HAS MADE UP MY MIND TO SELL MY CAR. I AM GOING TO DRIVE IT FOR THE WINTER AND SELL COME SPRING, TO GET AT LEAST SOME $$$$$OUT OF THE RECENT WORK I HAVE HAD DONE TO IT (CLUTCH, SHORT SHIFT KIT, ALL BELTS, WATER PUMP, MOTOR MOUNTS, "THE WHOLE WHILE YOUR IN THERE THING")....IT RUNS SO GOOD, LIKE A NEW CAR. BUT I WANT A SMOOTHER EFFORT FREE CLUTCH AND CAR!
Why not just change to a less agressive clutch setup ? I am about to change my clutch for the 3rd time this year !! distroyed a cup clutch the current kevlar disk slips under power, now have a six puck waiting to install.

So... I know your pain, just change the clutch and enjoy you car

Quick Reply: Hate my new clutch!