Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the DIY guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:45 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned from necessity and lack of trust in mechanics.

Take your time on disassembly. Take notes and pictures if possible. Clean everything before reassembly.
If you get stuck on something, post it here. Someone will help.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:19 AM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dad was a truck driver all of his life....when I was a teenager he had 3 or 4 trucks and he would wake me up in the middle of the night and I would have to go help him fix brake lines or change belts or whatever.....most of the time in the snow.....He taught me alot (as did my uncle)....changing engines, trannies, etc.....My Dad bought me an old '54 Chevy pickup when I was in highschool and it needed a transmission so he gave me the truck if I could put the tranny in myself.....He layed on the ground outside the truck while I wrestled it in (I was just a skinny little teen)....he told me what to do and I did it.....then he gave me the truck.....I painted it royal blue with a roller and put burlap on the door panels and found a set a baby moons to put on the freshly painted white wheels.....I thought I was so cool....

Get some manuals, get some tools, get some friends who are mechanics, get dirty, read, read, read,....
Old 11-19-2004, 11:30 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I started to think (not to insult any mechanics), but i have 8 years of post high school eduation. Most mechanics don't. Things come apart in a certain order, and go back on in the reverse. I figured, hell, i can probably figure that out. Throughout those 8 years of post high school education i was poor, so i had to do it myself due to lack of funds. So i just jumped in. And really i have only screwed a few things up, but again, you can always fix them the 2nd time around Before i did my first clutch job on my 951, i didn't really even know how a clutch worked internally, or what parts there were. So i went at it, and it wasnt too hard. When there are things like the field service manuals out there and resources like rennlist and clarks-garage's shop manual, it is pretty hard to get stuck. If you do get stuck, someone else has already been there and will usually tell you exactly how to get by it. If you need a picture of how something goes together, someone will probably post it. If you really screw something up, there is probably a rennlister that lives close by that will come help you out for nothing more than the cost of pizza and beer.

Last edited by Karl2bdc; 11-19-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:35 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And i learn new stuff every day about these cars. I will explain a procedure i have done, and usually someone will be like...that works, but you should try doing this part this way next time, it will save you a lot of time. There are a lot of expereinced wrenches on here with great tips that have been working on these cars for years. Read the tech posts that interest you, even if you arent doing that project, because when it come time, you will already have an idea about how to go at it.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started working on cars when I was about 10 years old. My first experience was helping my older sister (who is an AH-64 Apache/OH-58 Kiowa mechanic and Huey Med-Evac air crewman in the Virginia National Guard) rebuild the starter on my mothers '53 Ford.

My father was a boiler-maker for the Sante Fe railroad and he had a Ford Model T, and a custom '49 Ford that took up a good part of his (and my) weekends.

After I left home, I joined the Navy and got to play with Nuc power plants, and all kinds of neat mechanical and electrical stuff.

Since then I have owned a '60 Caddy, '70 Mercury "CHIPS" car, '69 Chevell SS 396, a '68 Mustang 289 HP, '75 AMC Matador (what a dog!), a '77 Chevy Nova, an '80 Renault Alliance, an '85 Ford station wagon, a '70 Ford Torino w/351 Cleveland, a Toyota Helix station wagon, an '89 Subaru XT GL, a '92 Chevy Tahoe S-10 Blazer, an '84 944, an '87 944, and an '86 951. And I have always done my own work when ever possible.

The main point here is that when I was starting out, I paid attention. I read the books, learned how to properly use the tools, and I always asked questions.

However, learning the tools and such is only part of the equation. You also need to have an understanding of the various SYSTEMS, like cooling, electrical, ignition, fuel, climate controls, suspension, drive train, and so forth.

To sum it up, a car is quite a bit more than the sum of its parts, and being successfull at working on cars is more than just swapping parts.

Since you are just starting out, I would recommend seeking out someone who works on Porsche or similar vehicles and then volunteer to be their helper/go-fer. Or take an automotive shop class at your local Community College. In fact, if you want to get some real "hands-on" training, you can join the military (they have LOTS of cool stuff to work on!), or you can move to Charlotte and go to NASCAR's training school.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:10 PM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

I learned because I enjoy it. Of course, without Rennlist, NSX Prime, or ZX-12r.org, I would be nowhere near as competent as I am (ha ha right there) STILL, I break stuff every time I fix stuff, which ends up making me spend more than I would have had I done it right the first time. Still get out cheaper than having someone do it though. Plus, the satisfaction of your clutch working properly after you spending 3 weeks under the car is incredible, and you get to understand things that you didn't before. I now fully understand how a clutch works, although the PS pump and rack, even repaired, is somewhat of a mystery to me..

Jump in with the simple stuff, build your confidence, and then try the big stuff. If you would have asked me a year ago if i could have done the clutch in a 944 I would have laughed and laughed.....

And FWIW, I never had any friends to help or was never around any car guys. Just the internet for guides and tutorials, and the Haynes manual for pictures. The guys at the Auto Zone know who I am now, as I still make weekly pilgrimidges (sp) for misc stuff. They are no help technically, but are great morale boosters when they congratulate you on getting something accomplished, and make comments when they see you drive up in what you have been working on.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:57 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Other than having welded together a bunch of custom bicycle frames and high school auto, most of what I've learned was (like many others) from experience of trying it out. We are so fortunate today with the internet and forums like this that bring people and knowledge together.

To me the most important points have been:

1) Get as much info as possible. In the case of the 944 this means (for me anyway) everything on Clarke's Garage, the complete factory service manual, the PET program and frequent visits here!

2) Always get the right tools. They are a great investment.

3) Try to get all the tools and parts together prior to starting the job, and try to give yourself lots to time to avoid working under undue pressure.

4) If you have another car (beater?) you may want to tackle some bigger jobs on that before trying lots of work on your pride and joy.

Like many here, working on the car is a lot of fun for me and it is a nice sense of satisfaction when you are done a job with good results.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found the web's how-to's to be the best source to start working on your car. The instructions are specific for your car so it's easy to follow. If you get stuck, you can usually get help on the forum.

I don't own any manuals since they are usually poorly written.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I'm like everyone else here.

- learned from necessity (no money)

- got butt-raped by mechanics $$$. Many bad experiences beyond money, too.

- learned mechanic stuff on GM and Mopar cars . . . so I had a good mechanical background/experience when I started on Porsches, etc.

- Just bought Chilton and Haynes manuals for American cars; always got factory service manual for European cars.

- I am more careful than I could ever afford to pay any mechanic to be, if such an amount of money existed.

Learn on a 924 if you've never done work before - mistakes are not as costly. Probably simpler, too.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I learned everything I need to know on the Internet!"

From a very early age, I was exposed to auto mechanics through my Grandfather's Fiats, my Dad's Morgan and MG and all the race car friends we'd hang out with in the Northeast circuits (never cover the velocity stacks on a Datsun with your hand while it's running - my first hickey) My first hands-on experience came when I spun a rod bearing in my first car, a 1980's Chevy Citation X11. My Dad kept warning me that if I revved it in the morning right after starting it I would do some damage. Well, what the hell did he know - I was 16 and invincible. After a few weeks of doing the stupid, Dad and I got to spend some quality time under the carport rebuilding the engine - in the snow, with no tools or shoes, only our bare hands and bailing wire... From there, I've left a wide swath of automotive destruction and reconstruction. Built, rebuilt and done-it-again on several Jeep 304s, rebuild my ex's Jeep 2.5l, rebuilt the engine and transmission on my Isuzu Impulse (I miss Joe), made the mistake of getting into race bikes and ended up rebuilding a Ninja 600 along with several V-Max and Shadow drag bikes, did a complete body and interior overhaul on a Jeep Cherokee, and then finally moved on to this Poorsha thang. School of Hard Knocks! And, I've ONLY been to the hospital twice (one burn and one I can't really remember but I woke up with cool stitches in my head.)

Working on your car with the collective wisdom of Rennlisters should be a piece of cake. Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I was lucky in that my Dad did some of his own work on the cars and was patient enough to let me help (from about 12 on). At 16, I got my first car - A 'Rustang' and learned quite a bit from fixing it up. Then I jumped in with both feet by buying an MGB... With an old British sports car, you HAVE to learn how to fix it yourself or you would quickly go broke. I would suggest it is better to start with something more basic than a Porsche but if the price is right... I also think it is a good idea to help out any friends you might have who work on thier cars. This way you get to make mistakes on someone elses machine... Helping someone disassemble a parts car would be a great introduction. As for tools, look for used ones if you have the patients. A lot of money can be saved buying used tools....
Old 11-19-2004, 11:20 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Like a lot of these guys, I started early. My mom and Dad divorced when I was very young so if I needed a toy or bike fixed or put together...I had to figure it out myself. I went to live with my dad (who owned 2 gas stations) when I was 15 so I spent a lot of time there. Auto and electronics shop in HS. My first car was a 1963 Fairlane POS that I hopped up with a 289 HiPo from a mustang.
4 years in the Marines as an Avionics Tech with building hot cars for a hobby. I built a Chevy Vega with an LT1 350, turbo 500 trans and a rearend from a Camaro..Killer car.
I ended up working in industry as an Electronics tech but really spent more time as a mechanic and machinist. Now I'm an Operations engineer...but still spend more time as a machinist and mech.
Its never to late to start and dont overlook the community college system. Depending on your level, take a few courses in basic mechanics, pick up good tools, I prefer Craftsman, and start slow.
Some of my best times are when I'm wrenching on my car or bikes. It also helps to have a spouse who understands your passion.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Necessity here. spun a bearing in Topeka. Was told "fix it yourself or sell it" by my parents. dad offered to pay for parts (bless his heart) so we ordered parts, and I built the engine that I'm running now... about time for a re-seal... but still good nonetheless...
Old 11-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

What would be the best option for a high school senior who wants to be an auto mechanic? Mechanical Engineering?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Hmm It almost seems to me like I was born with it.....I have rebuilt about 4 types of engines in my life so far, and installed so much crap on rice cars, that I have lost track...But yet It seems like Im still learning everytime I work on a car...But yet I couldnt tell you how to make chicken....Cant cook...But cars have just always been my hobby I guess...

DAmian

Quick Reply: Question for the DIY guys