Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was going to sell it, now I want to keep it

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Was going to sell it, now I want to keep it

I bought my 944 (as seen in my avatar) as a summer project. It was really cheap and needed a lot of work, so I figured I could fix it in a few months and then sell it to make some bucks - every college student needs more money. Well... that was 5 months ago, and there are a few reasons I think I should keep this car, and a few reasons I think I shouldn't. Let me know what you guys think, the opinion of other 944 owners are the most important opinions to me.

Keep it:
1. I've replaced the headgasket and all assoc. gaskets, timing belts and rollers, FPR, cleaned injectors, CLUTCH, and a bunch of small things. I'm about to change the motor mounts, water pump and ALL front seals.
2. The whole project has cost me about $2500 so far for parts and the car itself, so if I keep it I have a well sorted-out 944 for just $2500, and I know the car's exact condition.

Sell it:
1. I don't like the interior colors (I know, I know, BOOHOO). Its interior is brown vinyl... I don't think changing all the vinyl is gonna be very fun.
2. I was originally supposed to just fix it and sell it. Nothing wrong with keeping it, but I wanted to sell it, buy more projects, sell those, make more money.

I just thought since this car is so well-sorted out now, I should keep it as my daily car (and sell my benz diesel), then continue with my project car "job". Opinions? Comments? Advice? Slaps in the face? Tomatos?
TIA
Old 11-15-2004, 09:28 PM
ODUporschegurl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KEEP IT or you'll regret selling it later in life. coming straight from a college student with a 944.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:39 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a for sale sign on it with a high price -- a little more than what you're really willing to sell it for. If someone bites, great -- on to the next car. If not, you still have a car you don't mind driving. The only reason not to sell it is if you're somehow attached to the car, otherwise, it's just a car.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

Learn to drive it then I'm sure the decision will be much easier.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Sometimes this forum reminds me of the people who cant have kids and obsess over dogs...and buy "my doberman is smarter than your honors child" bumper stickers.

Set your priorities straight, and base your decision off of that. The 944 is a very gratifying car, but it's not cheap. Ask yourself if its worth it to you.

What really gets me is when someone needs to sell a car, for whatever reason, and everyone states, "keep her, shes a beaute." Don't want to sound hypocritical, but cars are not everything. If you think otherwise, then you are a very limited person.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:27 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. My dad also suggested the high sale price, guess thats my plan. I think I'll keep it, at least for a while - it's not like 944s can depreciate any more anyway. I agree that cars aren't everything; it's a hobby and maybe even a sport, but I don't think it should be one's way of life. I just like 'em, and I try not to let it take too much of my time or thought... But when it IS on my mind, I come by here to discuss / read about them. All we talk about here is cars since its a car forum.
What I was wondering though was that, is all the work I've done to my 944 a big reason to keep it? About $1600 into it, and like a month of labor if you put it all together. I think I can make like $900 selling it... I'm thinking it's not worth that measley profit to give up a well sorted out car, but I'm not sure.

Lawn Gnome: I once tried to "learn how to drive" my mom's 944, and I fishtailed and ended up smashing the rear into a parked Range Rover. My first and last bit of showoff driving on a street.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Lawn Gnome: I once tried to "learn how to drive" my mom's 944, and I fishtailed and ended up smashing the rear into a parked Range Rover. My first and last bit of showoff driving on a street.

By learning I mean go to a driving clinic or try out autocrossing if it is not too late in the year where you live. You can't learn how to drive on the streets, you have to be in a safe envrionment where there is no possible way to hit anything. You may realize the 944 is a very fun car to drive and decide to keep it. Or, you may decide 944's aren't your thing and want to sell. Thats what I would do if I were in your situation. Just my $.02
Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way. I think I'll try autoX next year/season, with whatever Porsche I may have then. For now the car isnt even driveable...
Old 11-16-2004, 01:30 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

It sounds like you will soon have a solid, nice driver. The real deciding factor for me would be just how badly I NEED the money. I read a short story eons ago about a man who had (apparently) a Stradivarius violin (from an inheritance). He set it up on a place of honor on the mantle. Eventually, the man's family became short of money. His wife conviced him to sell the violin for cash. The man left and returned with his violin. When asked why he had not sold it, he replied "I was just about to, but then I thought for now we can still make do (even though it is very tough) and it is better to keep the violin on the mantle so it will be available when we really NEED the money..." This sounded like a good strategy to his wife, and they kept that violin on the mantle for years and years, always confident that they had a back up for the really rainy day (which never came). (Well, the epilogue of the story was that the man had actually tried to sell it and found out it was a fake...)

So consider keeping the car (unless there is a specific new project you want to buy, or you NEED the money). Doing this will allow you to:

1) Continue to work on improving the car, making it even more valuable (so far it sounds like you have done very well from the financial point).

2) Choose to sell the car at a time (spring?) when demand is greatest.

3) And since you're in school, you don't want another heavy project NOW, right?

Just some thoughts. If you do put it up for sale, I would echo what has already been said and ask a good price.

Best wishes!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:00 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks like it's pretty clear I should keep it, at least until I can get some big bucks for it. I can keep up the project car stuff, and if I ever get a project 944 that better suits me I can keep that one.

amjf088: no, I can't be working during the semester, except maybe one Saturday here and there. Especially in the fall/winter when rainy weekends ruin my plans.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM
mahogany
1st Gear

Default question for 500_19B

I was searching the internet for the title and author of the story you mention in this 2004 post of yours.

Is there any way you can remember something else about this story (the family guy and the fake Stradivarius violin) - author, title, which book did it belong to ...? anything at all might help and I would be very grateful if you could let me know about it. I need this info for academic purposes (I study literature and it's been virtually impossible to track down this story, of which I only know the plot, which is what you described in your post).

Thank you very much!

ps - I realise this forum is meant to discuss a very different topic, but I couldn't miss this opportunity!

Originally Posted by 500_19B
It sounds like you will soon have a solid, nice driver. The real deciding factor for me would be just how badly I NEED the money. I read a short story eons ago about a man who had (apparently) a Stradivarius violin (from an inheritance). He set it up on a place of honor on the mantle. Eventually, the man's family became short of money. His wife conviced him to sell the violin for cash. The man left and returned with his violin. When asked why he had not sold it, he replied "I was just about to, but then I thought for now we can still make do (even though it is very tough) and it is better to keep the violin on the mantle so it will be available when we really NEED the money..." This sounded like a good strategy to his wife, and they kept that violin on the mantle for years and years, always confident that they had a back up for the really rainy day (which never came). (Well, the epilogue of the story was that the man had actually tried to sell it and found out it was a fake...)

So consider keeping the car (unless there is a specific new project you want to buy, or you NEED the money). Doing this will allow you to:

1) Continue to work on improving the car, making it even more valuable (so far it sounds like you have done very well from the financial point).

2) Choose to sell the car at a time (spring?) when demand is greatest.

3) And since you're in school, you don't want another heavy project NOW, right?

Just some thoughts. If you do put it up for sale, I would echo what has already been said and ask a good price.

Best wishes!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 PM
sillbeer
Pro

For what it's worth, I have changed over the color on 95% of the brown in my 83. I am using a flat black interior paint and it looks great!! I still have the passenger side sail panel and the carpet. Im going to replace the carpet but the rest of it is all paintable. I too, couldn't stand the brown.....
Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 PM
smokin_944
Racer

Just 2 things: 1) Do you really need the money? If so, the answer is evident. 2) The color of the interior can be changed over. Like sillbeer, I am taking out panels a couple at a time and revovering them in high grade Black leather. Got a whole hide to get a proper match. Works for me.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:27 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sillbeer
For what it's worth, I have changed over the color on 95% of the brown in my 83. I am using a flat black interior paint and it looks great!! I still have the passenger side sail panel and the carpet. Im going to replace the carpet but the rest of it is all paintable. I too, couldn't stand the brown.....
Originally Posted by smokin_944
Just 2 things: 1) Do you really need the money? If so, the answer is evident. 2) The color of the interior can be changed over. Like sillbeer, I am taking out panels a couple at a time and revovering them in high grade Black leather. Got a whole hide to get a proper match. Works for me.
Y'all guys realize this thread is 6 years old?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:39 PM
sillbeer
Pro

ahh crap!! lol.....I'm dumb

Quick Reply: Was going to sell it, now I want to keep it