Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter beaters.. Saturn that smokes white.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter beaters.. Saturn that smokes white.

I'm looking at a winter beater. 95 Saturn SL1, auto. everything works, even the AC. It runs fine.

But- it smokes white like a mosquito fogger? any ideas? is it worth 500 bucks?

Water cooled question, technical, OK- It's non Porsche related- Just fishing for feedback.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Besides the fact that it was a POS from day one that it rolled off the line (you already knew that), I'd say it's worth $500. Thankfully, GM flooded the market with those damn things, so even if for some reason the motor went south, you could pick up another one cheap at the junkyard and replace it in no time (if you cared to save the car).

Could just be a HG? Does the sellar have any insite to the problem?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:51 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blown head gasket most likely, check for oil/coolant mixing. As far as being worth $500 depends on how much you like GM products.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are also known for oil problems. POSs but good for beating around in the winter. Just wait till you do a window motor and have to split the door in half
Old 11-10-2004, 03:20 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Saturn that has issues? Thats like saying a Mini is small...

Look for a late 80s Toyota Tercel. My buddy just picked one up for $300CDN as his beater. We have officially named it the "Crapcel", we were debating "****cel" for a while as well.

Over 200k miles and starts on the first crank. Its a hilarious little car, due to its ugliness However cheap parts, cheap insurance, cheap on gas, everything. And prolly a lot more relaible than a Saturn.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saturns are very cheap for parts, at least as far as I know. A few of my friends drive them, with very few problems. If properly maintained, they are just as reliable as most any car out there, but if not maintained, they are probably far more problematic.
I'd say go for it, do a compression test, it does sound like a head gasket to me. A friend of mine has a 94 SL1, and he had some head gasket issues. The dealer did it once, it went again in 2 months, so him and I changed it the second time, been a couple years, and no problems.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:43 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saturns are easy to fix. My brother's fiancee had one that started to burn oil and had many little issues. They aren't meant to last a long time though. They just don't seem safe to me - it's like driving tupperware on wheels.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:51 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason I have a 944 is because someone stole my 95 Saturn SC2 with 180,000 miles on it. In 9 years and 180k, I only needed to replace the alternator, an engine mount, one of the headlight retracting motors and the radiator (at 179,000 miles). I would consider it to be a very reliable car. The SL1 has the SOHC engine... no experience there... but $500 is very cheap for that car, at least in this neck of the woods. The insurance company gave me $4,000 to replace my SC2.

-David
Old 11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A good friend of mine has a '95 SC2 with about 120k miles on it. This car has been beaten to death between teaching 4 people to drive stick on it, multiple reverse 180's and countless other things you would never do to a car that you cared about. Frankly im surpised the car still runs at all. And ill tell you now, i dont think i have ever seen a Saturn do the things i have seen this one do. My buddy is a pretty impressive driver with alot of skills (and no fear to boot). This lead to me witnessing some pretty impressive feats of peformance when following him.

The only issues he had with the car were a bad engine mount, headlights almost as dim as the stock 944 setup, a broken fuel gauge sender and a pain in the *** to reach oil filter. If i had to look into a cheap beater, a Saturn would defenetley be up on the list.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:56 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

rings.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I learned a lot about Shaturns when my mom's former '95 SW2 turned into a steaming pile of donkey excrement. They seem to be rather hit and miss... if yours makes it to 90k without problems, it'll probably last another 300k miles. My mom's, on the other hand, needed new rings, timing CHAIN and transmission by 75k miles.

In any event, the SOHC engines of that vintage are also knows for cracked heads. So I'd guess it's either the rings (massive oil consumption issues), head gasket or the head.

BB.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:18 PM
speedracing944
Advanced

I have had 2 saturns. The first was a 95 SL-1. the second was and is a 2000 SL-2. The SL-1 had 156K on it before it got crashed and totaled and the SL-2 has 103k miles on it and I use it for my daily driver. The SL-1 only needed an alternator and tie rods. Overall it was a reliable car. My SL-2 has also proven to be reliable with only a clutch change at 95K miles. One thing I have noticed with Saturns. They all burn oil!!!! both of mine went through at least 1 quart every 1000 miles. I have never had any running problems because of it but just remember to check your oil at every fill up. One thing I have found about both the cars is they are very light weight. 2300-2400lbs. They make for some fun corner carving. Put on some super sticky tires and suprise your friends because they can't keep up on the twist roads. The Saturns are front end heavy so you have to use heavy trail braking inorder to get through the corner quickly.

hope this helps
Old 11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
I learned a lot about Shaturns when my mom's former '95 SW2 turned into a steaming pile of donkey excrement.
BB.
Absolutley the funniest thing I have read in quite some time..

I'm thinking it's a HG- I looked at a replacement rebuilt head, 495$ plus 100$ core.

It seems the Saturn owners always buy another- but before 75K click on the odometer.

Here's the story..

The local detailer got it from a mechanic next door whose owner didnt like the thought of a 350$ estimate to fix it (I suspect HG, new HG bolts AND PROBABLY TIMING BELT and the TB positioners, I havent talked to the wrench yet.)
This guys wants it "gone for what he's got into it" . It's been out front for a day- it's right across the street from where I work.

I have heard about the heads going south- I figger if I get the winter out of it I can start bleeding some past due PM cash into the 924S AND the next P-Car candidate so Spring will be setup for 2 autox cars (The 924S will be undergoing a sex change as well- the CV's are clicking again and the auto tranny moans and whines loudly)

I can insure it for nickles, and if it's not too major , give it to my other kid next year.
Anyone know of a 200K mile Saturn? I thought these were designed to be a "recyclable" type of vehicle..and 5 years and 150K was about the limit in the early days of manufacture.

Then there is the 68 beetle I have also looked at- I feel pretty comfortable dumping a grand on an old bug- it's all about rust. But no heat in the winter is an issue..

If I get a winter POS I sure will miss the blast furnace 924S heater..

or do I just let the 924S clack along until the CV falls out..

EDIT: when it came into the wrench it did not smoke, but was 3 quarts low on oil.. maybe this will shed some light.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:23 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

"Anyone know of a 200K mile Saturn?"

Mine was at 180k and I had no intention of letting it go. It was in honest-to-goodness like-new condition. Whoever stole it got a really nice car. You could eat off the engine, it was so clean. I guess like any company, Saturn builds Monday cars and Friday cars... mine was a Wednesday.

On the oil... I remember reading about a TSB regarding use of aftermarket (Fram) PCV valves resulting in higher than average oil consumption.

-David

Quick Reply: Winter beaters.. Saturn that smokes white.