Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first problem with the car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:09 AM
rads2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first problem with the car.

Hello,
Well today the car didn't start due to bad battery, so I charged the battery put it in the car and it starts no problem , I let the car run for 15 min, everything is fine, after about an agehour or two I went into the gar and my cooling fan is still on(the fan is on slow, but when i turn the key the fan speeds up), and battey almost dead. Is it the cooling fan relay or temperature switch? Is there any way to test them or do I replace both?
Thanks,
Rad
Old 11-09-2004, 03:17 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

usually its the thermoswitch
Old 11-09-2004, 03:31 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the car from the front it is located on the right top side of the radiator (from the drivers seat it's on the left). You'll need to take the airbox out prior to removing it. It's just a plug type resistor/switch that you can unscrew from the top of the radiator. There will have a set of wires that you unplug from it prior to putting your wrench on it. You'll loose a little coolant but no worries. They are about $30 at your local parts store. More than likely you'll have to order it unless you get lucky.

Cory
Old 11-09-2004, 03:55 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen, it's the thermofan switch. Easy fix, some say you can access it from the top; my hands are big, so all I did was unscrew the skid pad underneath, unclip the fan harness, remove the fan assembly, unplub the harness to the plug, and unscrew the switch. Loosen it til it's ready to come out, then pull it out quickly and put the new one in, and put the car back together. Took me an hour and a half, and that's me just dickin around and inspecting other stuff. Mechanic might charge you an hour's labour for it.

Edit: I was fortunate to have my buddy Randy_J live nearby, who has a bunch of parts lying around, and happened to have another thermofan relay. So I swapped them to see if mine was faulty. This saved me the worry of wondering if that was the issue. Doubtful that you have another relay, but I would start with the switch. An easy fix and a good thing to replace.
Tip: See if you can track down a low-temp switch, that's what I did, and my fans come on sooner and keep my engine nice and cool.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:38 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Replacing the fan switch is defiintely the most common problem in a 944 (in my opinion). If anyone ever tells you their battery is dying, you can sound like you know what you are talking about and just tell them to replace the fan switch :-)

Quick Reply: My first problem with the car.