Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I wrote off the 944 Today *@#$*%*$#

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:54 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I wrote off the 944 Today *@#$*%*$#

Heading eastbound on a 3-lane road (1 of which turns) I had a left-turn advance with 12 seconds of flashing green, 3 seconds of pause and then the westbound traffic (2 lanes) would get to go. Clearing the intersection in the yellow I get a guy who jumps the light, is late for work, and nailes the rear 1/4 of the 944 imbedding most of his front bumper into my wheel well area. My front bumper is nearly touching the pedestrian crossing on the far side of the intersection at this point. Soooo the cops come along, give me a ticket for a left-hand turn because it's my word against his. People up here have a habit of leaving instead of being witnesses to events like this. Pics will be posted later but the car is technically written off (80% of it's value in damage) and I wouldn't doubt it's more than that. He smoked me goin 20 kph and I was goin a good 30 and wham, my sis is banged up but no glass broken. Still pisses me off, second accident I've gotten into and this one no doubt will end up being a "50/50" just like the first one The car is pretty much immobile with the tow and camber wayyyy off on the rear passenger tire and a piece of plastic imbedded between the rim and tire, if i remove it no doubt the tire will leak down. on the plus side (if there is a plus) I saw the car WAS straight before all this and the metal underneath is sure shiney
Old 11-02-2004, 08:59 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

all this and I had the sway bars and the body kit ready to go in, now I get to bus to university and work for the next 2-3 months til I can afford to fix the car or buy a beater or something like that, and my job unfortunately requires driving to work and for the work itself I drive... so ummm ahhh, with 2 accidents and 1 speeding ticket, no doubt i'll lose that too
Old 11-02-2004, 09:05 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah dude that really bites. Of course witnesses just spontaneously wander off. Happened to me too some time ago. I hope everything works out ok. As far as insurance and all that goes.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:28 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, sorry to hear about your troubles.

You did have one witness, though -- your sister. Can't she testify and support your claim if it comes down to it? Left on yellow could be a tough fight though -- I hope it goes in your favor.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slowazzporsche
Clearing the intersection in the yellow ...who jumps the light, is late for work, ....the cops come along, give me a ticket for a left-hand turn
hmmm...many if not most places, going through a yellow is 'illegal'

you say he went through a red light...how do you know that?

prolly doesn't matter as in New York, oncoming traffic has the right of way...even when going through a RED light!

I don't know what the law is in Canada...but you must !!

although he may get a ticket...YOU need to yield (never 'assume')

Originally Posted by slowazzporsche
ummm ahhh, with 2 accidents and 1 speeding ticket, no doubt i'll lose that too
and you get the ticket, why?

because you are...
(fill in the blank with what you think the police believe is the REAL reason)

more rules of the road testing...
suppose in the middle of the block, someone steps off the curb to cross the street (you know...'jaywalking')...

the car in front of you stops...you signal, and slowly pass on the left...will you get a ticket if a cop spots you??? yup

now suppose that someone was not in the middle of the block, but at an intersection and
you have the GREEN. being extra careful as you cross the intersection you change from the right lane to the left lane...will you get a ticket if a cop spots you??? yup again

you can’t pass a car stopped for a pedestrian or change lanes in an intersection (but you know that !!)

there are a hundred other rules of the road you may not know.

when I was this age I had this same attitude…I knew older folks didn’t like me…measured me with a ‘different yardstick’…not fair !

now that I’m a little older I am guilty of judging the same way as those older folks

go figure.!

Last edited by Tom Carson; 11-02-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:55 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck with insurance. I am fighting state farm right now, because another one of their insured (i am also with state farm...but not for long) side swipped me (4 lane road, he was in the right hand lane, and didnt want to wait behind a guy turning right into a parking lot, so he changed lanes, only i was next to him). After the accident, i had to go file a police report etc, insurance couldnt get ahold of him for over 4 weeks, then finally he gives a bogus statement saying i was passing him in oncomming traffic or something like that, so now it is his word against mine. I didnt think about grabbing witnesses when it happened, as it was an older gentleman in a mercedes, i figured i could trust him to tell the truth, guess not. So now i am sure it will take months and a court settlement to get it settled. I hate insurance companies.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lesson learned. Don't just wait for the light to turn yellow or red when turning left. Wait for the cars coming at you to STOP.

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was 19. I appealed the decision of the insurance adjusters ( she said it was 100% my fault because I was turning left and the onus was on me..) and I had it overturned to only 25% my fault by the appeals group.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

the oncoming cars were stopped, they had a red, no pedestrians were crossing the crosswalk on the light I was going thru and the opposite intersection (where I was turning to) had a hand saying do not cross, the silver ram making a right off of the avenue (opposite direction) onto the street where I was going yielded but the echo did not
Old 11-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Wait for the cars coming at you to STOP
cuz their RED light may not be working
Old 11-03-2004, 02:41 PM
AlexE
Pro

Matt sorry to hear about that..........

Normally if you are in the intersection first the other traffic must yield (in essence wait until the path is clear before proceeding). Since he hit you in the rear quarter? You had tecnically the right of way. Cops are human and interpret it as they see it. Whats interesting the insurance companies in determining fault have there own rules! So don't succumb just yet. .................... Unless you ran a red.... thats another can of worms.

On a side note........I will be selling the NA in the spring (silve one) if you are looking for another 944.

Alex

Old 11-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Brutal. I know all about witnesses who don't stay. Got side-swiped by a guy who made a lane change in an intersection, right into my passenger quarter panel. He argues that I was on the wrong side of the road (on one of the busiest roads in the city, during rush hour), and tried to cut him off.... *sigh*.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:45 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

It seems porsches are ****-magents when it comes to accidents I'll post pics tonite so you guys can gawk at what a little toyota echo can do to our magnificent machines.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Do you want to keep those wheels? I'll still honour my "warranty period" if you want to return them. We'll just subtract any damage they sustained from the collision.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:51 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Glad you're all O.K.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a technical discussion? JOHHNNN!!!

Quick Reply: So I wrote off the 944 Today *@#$*%*$#