Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84' axle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Francesco944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84' axle...

Well, after 300,000km my rear axle finally gave. The left side rear makes a clanking noise, while driving I heard something snap bang a little and low and behold now a proiblem. So does anyone have a price range to kfix my ordeal? I am thinking I have to replace the whole axle assembly? Wait, there's more! I was checking my oil and while adding a litre my gas cap had a smelly yellow pudding on the underside. Is that the coolant in the oil? I am thinking so, (still hoping not but I know it's silly), because also my coolant level seems to be so ever slowly going down every 500k. I also know that i need a clutch bad, and the rattleing sounds so bad especially while I am in first or second. I need new rear brakes and a major tune up to boot. Not to mention tires. My cousin owns a bodyshop, so my paint job would be cost of the materials only, I would be doing most of the sanding and stuff. WHAT WOULD YOU DO??!! Is it possible I can do most of the work myself if I had access to a garage?? I'd be happy to hear your response....
Old 10-28-2004, 11:05 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Yes,Yes, Yes, do it yourself. A small bit of foam on the underside of the oil cap is not a major concern. It could be some condesation that formed on the cap with the weather getting colder and wetter. Mix some heavy oil vapor in, little bit of foam. The clutch isn't as bad as it sounds, just very time consuming. Check out
www.clarks-garage.com
He has a ton of great info in the shop manual area.
If you need anymore help, post here. Drop me a e-mail if you like. I have a ton of used parts.
toddandcharity@peoplepc.com
Old 10-29-2004, 04:06 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding the clanking rear axle, it sounds to me as though it's the CV joints gone bad. Relatively easy DIY job. Lots of write ups and info on the procedure in the archives, besides the Clarks site Todd mentioned.

Another possibility is that the rear wheel bearings are worn out; a chronic problem on the early cars, especially if you have rough roads. OTOH, on the early cars both the CVs and the wheel bearings are are all VW parts, so they're relatively inexpensive to buy from aftermarket vendors.

Don't give up just yet!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:28 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering if this will work...I came across it in the classifieds:

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Old 10-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Francesco944
Advanced

thanks guys! i also think now that it is the CV joints. i had to work all day/night yesterday.., so today i will inspect further and i do appreciate your replys!!

Quick Reply: 84' axle...