Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kudos to GeoB on Pano article

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 11:50 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Kudos to GeoB on Pano article

George Bueselink (aka 944Ecology) wrote an article for Panorama that should be mandatory reading for any 944 owner. If you aren't a PCA member, track down someone who is and check it out. Good stuff!

Regards,
Old 10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which Pano? Whats on the cover? Is it the latest one, or the one coming next?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:22 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Oct 2004 issue, sorry, I should have mentioned which issue...

Regards,
Old 10-28-2004, 12:40 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

it's "ten things you should do for your 944"

like scott said, good stuff
Old 10-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh i have that one! Yeah!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:58 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Damn, I should renewed......
Old 10-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,218 Likes on 458 Posts

oh boy...(no comment)!!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:16 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here's the article, sans pix...
============================================
The Ten Nice Things You Can Do For Your 944
by George Beuselinck, PCA National Tech Committee

The 944 has assumed the position of the affordable Porsche, especially in the under $10000 category. While being fairly reliable, there are still several procedures that you can do yourself to help keep your 944 working for many years. Here are my top ten things to do.

1) Change the transaxle fluid.

Perhaps the most neglected fluid in the vehicle, the 944 transaxle fluid can be easily changed with the car on jackstands. You will need a 17 mm allen wrench (they are available as L-wrenches or as 1/2 inch drive sockets from various sources) and a drain pan. Remove the upper plug (the fill hole) first, so that you are not left stranded without fluid in the transaxle. Then remove the lower (drain hole) plug and let the fluid run out into the pan. Use a siphon pump (you can find them at most auto parts stores near the grease guns) to refill the transaxle fluid to the proper level, about a quarter inch below the bottom of the fill plug hole.

2) Preserve your clutch.

If you haven't figured it out yet, replacing the clutch on a 944 is a time consuming process. Some might say that the clutch is suspended in midair and the rest of the car is built around it. For a normally aspirated 944, it takes somewhere between eight and ten hours for the job. On a 944 turbo, because of the additional plumbing, it takes between sixteen and twenty two hours for the job. Think the cost of a new kitchen for your spouse. So, be nice to your clutch. When you're coming away from a stop sign or a stop light, be gentle and don't really floor it until you've started moving and the clutch is fully engaged. Not only will "jackrabbit starts" cost you fuel and moving violation points, it will eventually cost you a clutch job.

3) Condition your leather.

There are quite a few 944s out there with leather interiors that are drying and cracking. Use a high quality leather preservative to keep your leather supple. Take the screwdrivers and wrenches out of your back pocket before you take your car for a test drive. Lift your butt up while you're sliding into the seat and your (Porsche's) seat will hold its shape longer. Vacuum and clean the seats once in awhile to remove the abrasive grit that collects there.

4) Fix your electrical problems early.

The perfect time to diagnose and repair any electrical problem that you notice is the first time that you notice it. There are too many little problems that become big problems when two or more situations interact. Of course, the worst time to diagnose a problem is at night, when it's raining and your headlights (or fuel pump, or ignition system) has decided to not work for you anymore. It's been my own observation that most things don't fix themselves, they just wait for an opportunity to cause you the most amount of aggravation to resurrect themselves. So, fix the little things before they become big things.

5) Clean your engine compartment.

Now, I know that all of you concours types already know how to keep this area clean. This is for the rest of us, the track junkies and the daily drivers. Yes, little leaks and bits of flotsam and jetsam collect under the hood over a period of time. The problem is that this makes working on your car, um, err, - work, and less pleasure. If you keep your engine compartment neat and tidy, chances are that you will enjoy the little bit of time that you spend under the hood, and, as an added benefit, you might be able to finally figure out where that evasive little drip is coming from.

6) Service your brakes.

Of all the systems on your Porsche, the one that gives you the biggest bang for the buck is your brakes. Your Porsche brakes are well matched to your car, giving you phenomenal braking for not much money. Change your brake pads early, before they are half worn. Change the brake fluid regularly, at least once a year. On a 944, that also means to bleed the fluid in your clutch slave cylinder at the same time, since the fluid collects water and it pools in the slave cylinder, causing it to leak prematurely. When you start to feel a vibration under braking, change the rotors with factory rotors, and don't waste your time turning worn rotors. It just gives you less material to absorb the heat and the rotors will warp again too soon.

7) Make your shifter unsloppy.

Ever feel like you're guessing at where the next gear is? It could be that the shift lever pin is worn out. When it's new, it is shaped like a cylinder; when worn out, it assumes the shape of a football. Replacing the shift lever is something anyone with a 13 mm socket can do. The part number for a new shift lever is 477.711.205D and the cost from the dealer is quite reasonable. Also, when you replace the lever, lubricate the pin with a little wheel bearing grease to help keep it feeling like new for quite a while.

8) Take care of your tires.

Don't hit curbs. Don't hit potholes. Inflate your tires properly and check the inflation weekly. Spend a little extra on good tires. I can't tell you the number of wrecked 944 cars that I have seen with terrible tires, causing me to believe that perhaps a better tire would have helped to keep that car out of an accident.

9) Maintain your cooling system.

The purpose of your cooling system is simple: to extract the extra heat from your engine and place it in the ambient air. Replace the coolant with a phosphate-free antifreeze and water mix every two years. Check the hoses for those that are too hard (baked) or too soft (boiled) and replace them. Clean the fins on your radiator to allow the air to flow through them. Make sure that both of your radiator fans are working properly. Have the cap on the cooling system reservoir tested.

10) Become a better driver.

A better driver will know what the car can and cannot do. PCA has quite a few options for learning to be a better driver, among them autocross, car control clinics, and driver education. One warning, though: some of these events are quite addictive, and can lead to many hours of driving enjoyment. Contact your local region driver education coordinator or autocross chair. Of everything on the list, my personal favorite is this one. When you become a better driver, not only are you good for your Porsche, you become good for every vehicle you drive.

These ten things are fairly simple when done on a regular basis to avoid your having to do major operations on an emergency basis. Your Porsche was designed to last for many years. Whether or not it will depends on you.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha-ha. That's funny, I just commented on the recent issue a week or so ago. I credited him for writing a good article (well, cute anyway) and then sassed him about one of his comments in the Tech Q&A.

No offence intend about that tech thing George, keep up the good work (usually).

Actually, it might not be to far fetched to stick that article into the first time posters thread stickied at the top of this forum.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:52 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Good Read! Also think he wrote one on the timing belt "issue" just recently and was excellent!

Really nice just to see some talk on our models in Pano. Thanks George!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, that was Bill Burris. But that timing belt article was a fantastic writeup that I think is a must read. A great line in that article is "If your repair facility doesn't recommend bringing the car back for a cam belt tension check 1000 miles after replacement, you're almost guaranteed to have an overly tightened belt on the way out of the shop."
Old 10-28-2004, 11:30 PM
faithless
Pro

...Change your brake pads early, before they are half worn.
Half worn?? Why halfway??
Old 10-29-2004, 08:03 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though I've only bought a few things from George over the years he's always been extrememly generous with his time when I've called with questions. Nice to see he's sharing this with all.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:41 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manning
No, that was Bill Burris. But that timing belt article was a fantastic writeup that I think is a must read. A great line in that article is "If your repair facility doesn't recommend bringing the car back for a cam belt tension check 1000 miles after replacement, you're almost guaranteed to have an overly tightened belt on the way out of the shop."

Hey thanks for the correction! Either author has my attention! Normally I just look at the pictures in Pano but these 2 have me reading it now!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, every now and then there is a glimmer of hope. I see articles about this series of cars for a couple months and hope that maybe it is a trend toward more coverage. Hopefully maybe this time it is.

Quick Reply: Kudos to GeoB on Pano article