Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant locate some of the grounding points...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
unreal_news
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant locate some of the grounding points...

This thread continues my plauge of issues, the previous one being that my 944 acts as if the battery is not connected. so, im checking the grounding points.

I cant seem to find a few of them

"Porsche 944 ground points:

-Front frame rail both left & right, M6x12
>>> havent looked, but what is is the frame rail, I assume its close to the wheel area?
-Behind the battery in the fire wall, M8x35
>>> got it
-Bell housing, M8 stud
>>> havent looked, im guessing under the car in the middle somewhere?
-Under dash, left side of steering column, 3-off(?) M6x12
>>> got it
-Under floorboard near DME, M6x12
ok, where is this? right now I dont have the dme/klr brace connected so its all open and I dont see any grounding point?
-Rear, in trunk, below left taillight, M6x12
>>> got it

-Ground bus under the battery box. Accessed by lying on your back, feet up through the sunroof. If memory serves, there are 7 circuits grounded there, one of which is the instrument cluster. This bus is a common source of problems if the battery box has a leak since the water will corrode these grounds."
I suppose I need to remove the glove box to see it, as i did the procedure but failed to find the point
thanks for any help,
-john
Old 10-26-2004, 12:41 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The forward frame rails are boxey frame sections on either side of the engine, up front. Pop up the headlight buckets and look down for a few brown grounds bolted into the rails on either side of the engine bay. You can't miss them. If you do you better give up on this project and see a mechanic. Would be a good idea to bolt a supplemental ground from the front of the engine block to the frame rail. Does a lot to improve grounding. I sell them for $20 but you can make one up yourself if you have some heavy cable, terminals and tools.

The bellhousing ground point is more difficult to find if you don't know what you are looking for. The easiest way is to just follow the main ground cable. On the early 944s the ground is a bare copper strap from the middle of the firewall to the bellhousing. On the later cars it is a insulated cable that runs from the battery post, through the firewall, across and down to the bellhousing. It will be on the rear left side of the engine and you can really only reach it from the top. You will probably need to unplug the reference sensors and bracket at the top of the motor and disconnect the heater hose and move them all out of the way to get down there.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:28 PM
unreal_news
Racer

Thank you IceShark, i appreicate that. I look forward to some of your parts during the holidays

neway, I think my actuall issue has to do with the dme, since last thing i did was open it up to look at the chips (i didnt remove them). so i musta screwed something up there.

outside of that, im driving 280w to my foglamps so i'll definatly have to upgrade my power system.

later,
-john
Old 10-26-2004, 03:38 PM
unreal_news
Racer

update

"Porsche 944 ground points:

1) Front frame rail both left & right, M6x12
Pop up the headlight buckets and look down for a few brown grounds bolted into the rails on either side of the engine bay - IceShark

2) Behind the battery in the fire wall, M8x35
easily visible, from (-) battery lead to firewall, < 1ft cable

3) Bell housing, M8 stud
follow the main ground cable - IceShark

4) Under dash, left side of steering column, 3-off(?) M6x12
easily visible, if you can get ur head in the footwell looking up

5) Under floorboard near DME, M6x12
ok, where is this? right now I dont have the dme/klr brace connected so its all open and I dont see any grounding point?

6) Rear, in trunk, below left taillight, M6x12
un-snap rear carpet, and to right of the drivers side turn signals

7) Ground bus under the battery box
I suppose I need to remove the glove box to see it, as i did the procedure but failed to find the point
Old 10-26-2004, 04:02 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned in the posts above:

Frame ground points: Look at the bottom-side of the pop-up lights, there are 4-5 brown cables (grounds) attached to ONE bolt for both lights.

Crawl under the dash on driver's side on your back, look up and to the right, you'd fine two thick brown ground lines.

Follow the negative battery cable, you'd find one ending inside the battery box and one leading to the engine/bellhousing near the heater valve and the oil filler neck.

As for the DME, that is new for me But dont forget the ground in the rear between the driver's tail light and the lincense plate frame. Pull the rear cargo bay carpet, look at the lens and you'd see it right there.....
Old 10-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be very, very careful about static electricity when working with the DME box. To get to it, you're probably rubbing your rubber shoes on the carpeting and building up a static. Best to ground keep the ground-terminal attached to the battery. Also leave the DME connected to the harness so that the case is grounded. Touch the body of the car to drain static, and keep one foot on the ground outside the car before you touch the DME.

Sounds like the ground-rules at the girls' dorm at Westmont college:

1. Door to room must not be closed if you have a guy in your room.
2. One foot must be on the ground at all times...
Old 10-26-2004, 04:19 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

Those sure weren't the ground rules at UCSB!

-David
Old 10-26-2004, 05:34 PM
unreal_news
Racer

5) Under floorboard near DME, M6x12

7) Ground bus under the battery box

those are the only 2 i got left.

Quick Reply: Cant locate some of the grounding points...