Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic vibration sound up front - Heat Shield?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

With my friend reving the car in neutral, i found that the sound is actually coming from the rear of the car. Its present at idle, but you would only notice it if you were familiar with the exhaust note on the car. I crawled under neath the car on ramps while it was running...the cat. heatshield is firmly secured as well as the muffler headshield. I traced the sound to what appears to be the front of the transmission case, where the torque tube shaft enters. Basically around the area where there is a rubber plug you can remove off the transmission (what is this for). This would lead me to believe that the bearing in the torque tube is on its way out? Is this a typical item you would replace along with the clutch?

When accelerating briskly, i can hear a whine coming from the rear end, sounds almost like my buddy's SVT Cobra on hard acceleartion. It sorta sounds cool...but would this be attributed to the rattling sound?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:10 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a brave man to get under a running car using ramps! Too bad it's not the easier fix though...and I have no clue about the tranny/torque tube. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Metallic vibration sound up front - Heat Shield?