Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passed up chance for free paint job

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Passed up chance for free paint job

Do you ever have one of those defining moments when you reaffirm to yourself that you're an all-right person after all.

This morning I'm sitting in traffic about 5 feet behind a car-transport semi and I notice him motioning at guys in 2 dump trucks that he is going to let them out into traffic in front of him. So, they start easing out, one at a time and the guy in the transport decides that he's going to give them more room, so he starts backing up slowly, slow enough that I had time to check behind me to see if I had room to back up, and time enough to consider letting him cave in my bumper, nose panel, hood and fenders. I consider this since I want a turbo nose panel and a new paint job. I decided to pass on the freebie and the headache of messing with the insurance and backed up to avoid this idiot. I backed up 5 feet before he stopped. That means he backed up 10 feet without even noticing me behind him.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Billy W
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing that you did, I was sitting behind a tractor trailer one day waiting on him to turn left and he deceided to back up first to get more room and before I could get out of the way he buckled the hood, headlights, intercooler. and header panel. He then started to drive away, because he did not even feel that he hit me. I chased him down and called the cops but since we left the scene of the accident and did not have a witness I am stuck paying for the damages. One shop quoted me 2500 if I supplied the parts.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:11 PM
M@rk951
Instructor

WOW im sry man, thats such a load of crap
Old 10-22-2004, 12:56 PM
StupEd05
Pro

That is crap! What were you suppose to do? Just sit there and get his plates?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I know, what a shame! I hate it when i miss opportunities to take advantage of people. Why dont you just slam on the brakes in traffic. Please.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you let that guy back into you, think of all the things that could have happened because you wanted a new bumper. Lets make a hypothetical situation of the possible post accident events.
Driver gets fired and doesn't have enough money to make next months rent. His evil landlord kicks him, his wife and their 3 kids out of their 1 bedroom apartment and now they have no where to go. Now they have to live in the only thing they own, a 1972 station wagon. During the day the man takes the bus to look for work while his wife stays "home" with the kids. At night she is forced to walk the streets as a prostitute just so they can eat. They spend weeks moving their station wagon from one place to another so the cops don't harass them. At last the man finds a decent job but by the time he gets his first paycheck his wife is already hooked on crack and HRS is taking away his 3 kids. Finding himself without his wife or kids he turns to the bottle, looses his new job because of his drinking and winds up sleeping in a cardboard box behind a dumpster thinking about the way things used to be. How everything was just starting to turn around for them before he backed into that damn Porsche.

All that for a new bumper. Shame on you for even thinking it.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you sit there leaning on the horn after you started backing up? I would have done that for a good while, then yelled something along the lines of "Remove head from sphincter then drive". But I guess thats cause I already have a turbo front end LOL
Old 10-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

A few years ago, someone backed up at a stop sign so they could do a turn around in a drive way. That time, I couldn't back up because there was someone behind me, so I got a trailer hitch through the grill of my old cutlass.

So, I'm supposed to feel bad because these dumbasses think backing up on busy streets is ok? And if I decided not to back up to avoid his obvious negligence, I'm taking advantage of him? There is absolutely no way this even compares to slamming on the brakes in traffic, so save your holier than thou comments, Serge.

Here's a better hypothetical scenario Travis, the gubberment decides to implement a mandatory minimum-IQ standard for driver's licenses. The sudden 80% reduction in drivers ruins the automobile industry and insurance industry sending our economy in the crapper, even though the streets are tremendously safer to travel on. All because I decided to not evade a 50 foot long vehicle moving backwards so two dumptrucks can enter a 4-lane highway before their coffee gets cold. I end up riddled with such guilt I trade my Porsche for a horse and buggy, which I soon have to part out because I didn't tension the bridle soon enough.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Did you sit there leaning on the horn after you started backing up? I would have done that for a good while, then yelled something along the lines of "Remove head from sphincter then drive". But I guess thats cause I already have a turbo front end LOL
ROFL

Brett, sometimes theres a difference between the right thing to do, and the thing that benefits you most. I was just giving an extreme example.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

Yes, I gave him a good honking, or at least as good a honking as can be done with my pitiful horn.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brett Jenkins
Here's a better hypothetical scenario Travis, ....

I know. I dont care all that much, its just unbiased payback for the time I got bitched out for posting about "squeezing the lemon" and getting pulled over 4 miles later because the cop had to catch up to me.
All in good fun.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

I understand that Serge. That's why I chose to back up. But, with 3 teenagers, my toy budget is financially challenged and I had a moment of weakness. I appeased myself by stopping and drooling on this, which is for sale 2 blocks from my office:
Old 10-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, look at the fuchs on that. I have never been a fan of shiny polished lips on fuchs, but on that car they look amazing.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

They claim it to be the only one produced in that color.

Year Model Color Miles Price
1989 911 Speedster Grabber Orange 6200 $59,900

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only Grabber Orange Speedster Ever Produced, Perhaps the most exciting Speedster in existence
Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
mrmunky
Pro

No comment on the thread, but that is one sexy speedster. mmm.

Quick Reply: Passed up chance for free paint job