Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi-OT: Car sale conflict; opinions anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do decide to let him send the car back at his expense and then refund the money, make sure that he undestands any damage incurred during transit is his responsibility. And get it in writing. I think refunding it is fine, although I wouldn't if this was me, but you didn't do anything wrong and you should not be penalized at all.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently the seller received a letter from the buyer today. The buyer has suggested two possible remedies for the situation:

1. The seller refunds the purchase price of the car and pays to ship the car back to Maryland.

or

2. The seller pays the buyer $5,000 to keep the car.

In an effort to maintain some degree of objectivity, I will refrain from making any of the various comments that come to mind.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Sports Car Market is based in Oregon. Jim Schrager is a world renowned Porsche Guru everywhere but this board. He held/holds a position in the 356 registry.

Since no good deal goes unpunished I suggest you try to contact someone from the 356 registry and pay a few hundred for an appraisal. If a 356 expert looks at the car and confirms it is authentic I would tell the purchaser tuff. If the appraisal comes in at significantly more than he paid I would contact a consignment house out there, refund the money, and let it sell out there.

This is too big for us, you need an expert. He may have a 45k car, you dont know if it is an S etc.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:58 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I think Tom has made some worthwhile suggestions above.

The two options the buyer has offered are unacceptable in my opinion. The buyer seems to have demonstrated knowledge of these cars by methodically pointing out how he knew it was a re-paint, and his intention to show it in National level concours suggests he would be more than a casual enthusiast. Accepting this, I find it extremely puzzling that he is surprised by the turn of events. If he wanted to risk a percipitate decision and buy without verification that was his choice. I agree with everyone here that you have done nothing wrong.

And, as suggested above, the car may still be worth more than he paid.

Best of luck in resolving this quickly in a manner that is fair to you.

Allan
Old 10-22-2004, 07:27 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on, the guy bought an old used car.. He doesn't hold a candle in court if that's where this is heading. Just ignore him.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:44 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Im at the point where this buyer is just being a turd muffin. There HAS to be some sort of absolute BASELINE expectation of due diligence when purchasing ANY car. I dont care if its a Honda. You still need to to a little homework, and yet this guys in the market for a national level concours restoration class 356 which is about a specific and potentially pot-holed full of landmines as they come, and this guy wants to buy the car blind.

To me, the buyer refused to perform the baseline necessities in a used car purchase that carries no implied or explicit warranty. Asking if the car is "good", does not meet that criteria. Im sorry but people who are not willing to help themselves cannot be helped.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Wait a sec...did the buyer tell you from the start he was looking for a "National-Level Concours car" or did he bring that up after he recieved it. That could be another mark against him.

Thats like saying the guy bought a car thinking it was a track car and being pissed cause it came with stock suspension. If he did not disclose such a specific use for the car, i think its all his fault and you owe him nothing. If he said i need this car specifically for this and this purpose, does it cut it? And you said, "as far as I know it does" when it didnt, then you would have a problem on your hands.

I dont like either of this guys suggestions. Pay him 5000 to keep it? Please. Thats rediculous. Why dont you just refund him AND let him have the car! WTF?

If he is really displeased with it and wants to honestly return the car, at most ide be so generous as to split the cost of shipping. Dont be stupid though (not saying you are in any way!), deposit the money in an Escrow account until the car is back in your hands and you have inspected to make sure its exactly the way you sent it to him.

Dont you hate falling into situations like this?
Old 10-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sweanders
Come on, the guy bought an old used car.. He doesn't hold a candle in court if that's where this is heading. Just ignore him.
Who pays the attorney the seller has to hire to defend the seller in court before it gets thrown out?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Countersue for the cost of the defense

*shrug
Old 10-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Apparently the seller received a letter from the buyer today. The buyer has suggested two possible remedies for the situation:

1. The seller refunds the purchase price of the car and pays to ship the car back to Maryland.

or

In an effort to maintain some degree of objectivity, I will refrain from making any of the various comments that come to mind.
My response would violate the forum rules.

Tell him to go kiss a duck.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley

or

Mark,

Unbelievable. Hopefully the seller has already cashed the check. Please keep us abreast of the situation. This buyer seems to lack
a. common sense
b. decency
c. both a and b
Old 10-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Questions guys:

What if the car was in fact repainted, and what if the repaint reduced the value by closer to 10k?

Why is everyone deciding what is "right" or "wrong" without full knowledge of the facts?

Isn't this how countries go to war? C'mon, save judgment until the facts are at least gathered. Maybe the purchaser is right and the car was repainted.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

This sounds funny. If he was really unhappy about the car, then wouldn't he just want his money back? If he can't show the car, why has he offered to keep it at a slightly discounted price?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Even if the car is repainted, the buyer should have verified. What I "believe" is what I believe and should not be taken as a fact. You have the expert opinion Tom, how would this hold up in court?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:59 PM
AlexE
Pro

AMAZING............ This buyer took a chance that you had no clue that it could possibly be a concours level 60K car and that you would be brainless or naive enough to let it go for 30K............... and NOW realizes the car may not be worth even what he paid.

HE GAMBLED and LOST. Too bad.....

I would not send anything back in writing.

I would call him and tell him... sorry for everything but you have two options.

1. keep it or
2. keep it.

Quick Reply: Semi-OT: Car sale conflict; opinions anyone?