Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seriously dont laugh

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004 | 08:58 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Default seriously dont laugh

is there supposed to be just power steering fluid in the steering rack? i had tons of grease in the gear case, and that makes sense to me but.....the little plastic 90 degree-ers were clogged with grease. so is power steering a lubricant and a hydraulic fluid? basically? cause im about to bolt my rack back up and i hope nothing explodes. i unbolted the bolt on the side of the(?) whatever it is that is the pinion part or whatever the big twisty gear thingy damn it. there was only dirty power steering fluid in there. maybe the grease was just jammed in through my ripped rack boots? also, i WILL do a search, but just in case i cant find it, what ways were the wiper seals in? i drew some pictures for reference, but when i popped some out, it was too narrow to see/they went flying so i am not sure. please help so i can take my trans out and start on the rest tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2004 | 09:08 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Grease the gear a little but nothing else needs it. The grease in there was probably just road grime. You can also grease that little tensioner piston (with the spring behind it) if you like.
The lip side of the wiper seals face eachother. The one in the end of the tube faces the one on the metal shuttle. The one in the bottom of the aluminum gear housing faces (up) the one in the cap with 3 bolts. It is important they are in the correct way or the rack will leak. The lip side is the side where you can see inside the seal.. not the flat side.
Old 10-20-2004 | 09:22 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

thank you i think i got it, everythiung else im pretty sure i have drawings of. how about oil instaed of grease? my grease is at my garage with my car 30 miles away.....
Old 10-20-2004 | 09:57 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Kenny,
I tried to e-mail you back, but it wouldn't go. Drop me a line. I still have the parts that you need.
toddandcharity@peoplepc.com
Todd
Old 10-20-2004 | 10:28 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

It shouldn't be a problem. The gear part you can grease later. Just turn the wheel all the way to the drivers side and grease the part of rack that comes out. It will find its way to the gear. It should be fine for now without it.
Old 10-20-2004 | 10:41 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ok i emailed.
Old 10-22-2004 | 01:29 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

okay all of my seals are in, and im readt to bolt it back together, but i cant remember how something was....the white plastic washer underneathe the "flexible white plastic piece with slots in it, well it seems to move around between the wiper seal and the white slotted piece. this is all in the tube "body" piece. was there supposed to be some slack in there? or what? cause it sure seems like my seal is down all the way.
Old 10-22-2004 | 01:45 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Your seal is not down all the way. The seal needs to be seated just a bit more. It should sit on that flat plastic washer so it doesn't have any play. That's what helps it seal.
Also throw that white plastic slotted thing away. Don't even put it back in because it serves absolutely no purpose other than for you to worry about how to get it out.
Old 10-22-2004 | 04:42 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

no im in the process of putting everything back together.....i cleaned it and put that back in already. i got my new copper washers so i should have it done tonight. thanks for all of your help. ill be getting some pictures of my seat tonight. like i said before, the big sheet of extra vinyl i bought did it too, but im not using it for the dash anymore, so im not worried about that. my mom sews, but was kinda worried about just making some and having to sew them back together when the original sew holes might weaken it. so i dont know.

Quick Reply: seriously dont laugh