Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:49 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterpump?

I moved the car foreward about 10 feet today and noticed a small puddle of coolant on the ground. I think this may be a failed waterpump? I still drove to and home from work (About 10 minutes each way) to see how the temp acted, but the temp never made it above halfway on the gauge...Any ideas if it is the waterpump or what is wrong?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:54 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Could also be a radiator or hose. You'll have to trace down the leak.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

All the hoses are fine. I replaced them all about 2k miles ago and checked for new leaks/cracks and found none
Old 10-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

*bump*
Old 10-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

See if you can "rent" a coolant system pressure tester from one of you local auto parts stores. Easiest way to find the leak. Just at note: If it is the waterpump leaking and it fails, and locks up, it could take the timing belt out with it. So better be sure before driving much. I'd hate to see you doing a head job. Also, on the early, pre-85 1/2, cars, there is a clearance issue from the passanger side radiator fan, and the lower hose. It is possible to have a small hole worn into the hose, that may not be readily visible.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Is a rebuilt from paragon a good choice? I think that's what I'm gonna go with. What all will I need to install the new waterpump in ways of rollers/tensioners?
Old 10-18-2004, 06:32 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it was from the pump? Have you gone through and checked everything for split hoses, cracks, etc? And are you sure it was coolant and not condensation?
Old 10-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

It was green, I'm sure it was coolant. I'm gonna double check everything for any sign of leaks tomorrow
Old 10-19-2004, 05:06 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Kevin. Get your hands on a coolant pressure tester. Pump system up to about 10-12lbs, and start looking at everything in and around the engine............you'll find WHERE its leaking out at. No sense in changing a waterpump *****-nilly like......ya know. You do this pressure test like this, you just might be amazed at where, and how many little leaks you might find.
Rebuilt pump? Well.........a lot of people won't do that, I know I won't again. It isn't worth the BS.
Good luck!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:13 PM
faithless
Pro

Copied straight off www.clarks-garage.com

3. Coolant Loss
  1. The head gasket may be faulty allowing coolant to leak into the cylinders. White smoke coming from the exhaust can be an indicator of a head gasket leak. Perform a compression check using the procedure provided.

2. A cylinder wall may be cracked allowing coolant to leak into the cylinder. White smoke coming from the exhaust can be an indicator of a cracked cylinder wall. Perform a compression check using the procedure provided.

3. The oil cooler seal may be leaking allowing coolant and oil to mix. Look for white frothy residue in coolant tank or on radiator cap (Only on early 944s with oil cooler integral to the block).

4. Check for an external head gasket leak. If the leak is small enough, it may evaporate before the coolant reaches the ground. This is especially true if the leak only occurs when the coolant system is pressurized.

5. Check for hose leaks, leaking radiator core, leaking heater core (strong smell of antifreeze in the passenger compartment), leaking system vent, and leaking radiator drain plug.

6. Check for leaking water pump seal.

7. Check at rear of engine near the fire wall for a leaking heater control valve or hoses to the control valve.

8. Check for a faulty radiator cap (i.e. pressure test the cap).
If it is the water pump, can you get a rebuild kit and just rebuild it yourself? Seems pretty straightfoward.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:16 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

If you're doing the labor to replace a waterpump, buy a NEW one , unless you're not going to keep the car very long.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed, rebuilt pumps sometimes arent 'rebuilt' very well. Its best to go with a brand new one. Figure you save maybe $100 on going with a rebuilt, but 5000k miles down the line something goes wrong, you end up having to take the car off the road again to change the pump. Now you just dropped the price of a new pump and the used. Basically just do it right the first time. Im not going to say all rebuilts are like this...but in the comparison i did between a rebuilt and a new when i was doing the belts on my 924S, i found a fair amount of play in the pulley that the brand new pump didnt have.

In the wise words of my friend, 'you buy ****, you get ****'.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:09 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

I saw the same thing on my "early" car yesterday. With the lower aluminum engine cover off, I saw that underneath the waterpump, small drips of coolant were forming and creating a small puddle. Water temp now is no different under "normal" conditions. I think I have gone through this before with the waterpump failing and disaster neatly and miraculously avoided. I have often heard that most people change their water pumps (only new) every other time they do their timing belts, as a "while you are there" option... My waterpump hasn't been replaced since 2002 and I am definitely ripe for a t-belt job. Unfortunately I am not exactly sure where the leak is, just yet. Could be gasket or hose. Previous advice a couple posts up is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Waterpump?