Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear ended by someone without insurance!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:05 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear about this.

As another NOVA driver who's been hit three times by uninsured motorists, I know your pain all too well. The pisser is that all three times they claimed to be willing to play along but made things difficult. While I don't fault you for giving them the chance to take care of it themselves, I suggest you do everything to cover your ***. Contact your insurance, file police reports... hell, while it won't help you this time, next time I recommend you call the police regardless. It's easy enough to justify since I think they are supposed to be called if the total damage exceeds something like $1,000.

Of course, I'm also now paranoid to have a camera phone and a disposable camera in each car because I'm tired of getting screwed by these jerkoffs.

As far as insurance increases, you should probably be ok. I had to file three claims in a six-month period (two of the hit and runs and then the car was broken into while in the shop for the latter one) and my rates never went up. I don't know if that's a USAA thing or a VA thing, though.

If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to ask!

BB.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Johno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn they were spanish werent they? sike lol( im spanish, but with insurance )

well i have some taillights if you need them i have a 83 porsche 944 non turbo though
Old 10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
next time I recommend you call the police regardless. It's easy enough to justify since I think they are supposed to be called if the total damage exceeds something like $1,000.
Couldn't agree more. Call the police no matter how small the damage or how symathetic/trustworthy/wealthy the other person might appear.

You try to be a decent person and work things out but some people will just try to weasel out of their responsibilities.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately give the hatch floor a good check. Kinks there = bent frame = BAD NEWS. Since it hit so high up, you might be in for an unfortunate surprise.

Too bad to hear about all this trouble, I hate un-insured drivers.
Progressive should be pretty good about settling this claim, I've heard good things about them in the past, and they don't seem to jack up rates for un-just reasons.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:40 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't feel sorry for them no matter how cute or not cute they are. Those kind of people need to be taken off the road. They're the reason why good citizens that do the right thing and pay for insurance have their rates go up every year. Show no mercy!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:57 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I agree about needing to get people like that off the road. Once I found out she didn't have insurance I called the police to make sure I had a report on file. I was planning on doing that anyways, and her saying she had no insurance or license just made me do it that much faster. The main reason I don't really want to get my insurance to cover it if I don't have to is that I've got a ticket they still haven't found out about. I'd rather not give them reason to take a closer look at my file and notice the ticket. Of course if the other guys don't pay up I'll call them and have my car fixed that way.

So I did get two quotes today, and will get another tomorrow. The down side is that it looks like there is a bend in the hatch floor near the spare wheel well. The center rear part will have to be cut off and a new one welded in and the hatch floor straightened if possible. Neither of the places seemed to think there was any frame damage but neither of them are porsche places either. Tomorrow's place is a porsche specilist, so I'll see what they think. As it is, the two quotes came in at $4400 and $2400, a pretty large split since they mostly differed in parts and labor costs.

I'll give the girls step dad a call tomorrow and see what he thinks about the quotes. At lease he said he's a bit of a car buff who knows how much it costs to fix a porsche..... Idealy I'll get them to write me a non-bouncing check or put the bill on their card before work is done. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Johno
Damn they were spanish werent they? sike lol( im spanish, but with insurance )

well i have some taillights if you need them i have a 83 porsche 944 non turbo though
I remember that word!

I'm sorry to hear of your incident, i hope legoland ios not right, but he is very knowledgable of the 944 series cars, and he's probably purchased quite a few totaled, or damaged cars to part.
~Eyal
Old 10-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenL
Just went through, no still going through, with an uninsured driver. Won the conciliation court case (she no-showed) and next it's the "Sheriffs Lien" so I can seize money or property.

No insurance usually because they're broke. Now try and collect.

To Anders' questions: If the car is covered by "comprehensive" insurance then it will cover the damage and take on collecting. With the legal minimum "liability" you're on your own.
To add my 2 cents... Comprehensive coverage for a teen costs more than maintenance on a 400 hp 951 dragging weekly. I hate the insurance system...biggest bull ever.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenL
Couldn't agree more. Call the police no matter how small the damage or how symathetic/trustworthy/wealthy the other person might appear.

You try to be a decent person and work things out but some people will just try to weasel out of their responsibilities.

Fight fire with fire. Im not endorsing any of this activity...but coudn't you just report a "hit and run" if the person tries to weasel out of a previous agreement. If you were good enough with conning, you could get the person arrested. Id never do somehting so low; although, i wouldn't be surprised if i showed up at the guys house with my good friend, 2x4.

Without question, gather ALL info at the scene.

Quick Reply: rear ended by someone without insurance!!