Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over tonight - stupid jerk cops

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Pulled over tonight - stupid jerk cops

-- Made my title PG because of the recent thread about language.

Yeah so I got pulled over tonight, got a non fine ticket.. But heres the deal.

So a few roads away from my house, there is rt. 44. It is a 50mph road. Where I come out, i'm at the top of a hill. That's about the only place I ever hit high rpm's, so I usually hit redline in first there and about 5k in 2nd, just to air her out, the once a week or two i'm at that area. I always get to 50 and stop accelerating promptly, there is generally cops a few miles down it so I stay between 50 and 55.

Today i do this, am at about 4.5k rpms, or less in second gear, going about 45.. just about to shift ot third and then 4th to level off at 50. Right before i'm at my shift point i look left, in a side street a cop is sitting there. I am like ok, so i shift then and stay about 45mph. He pulls out i'm like waht the hell, I pull over and he stops behind me.

"Is that stock exhaust?"
me- "yeah"
"not custom?"
"nope, but it's a porsche stock exhaust and its louder than normal cars, its a sports car. and I was only winding it out because I just did some work and I was checking it out"
"you inspected?"
"yup, got it last month, so i don't think much wouldve changed"
"give me your license, i'll go check it out"
-walks back to his car, 5 min later walks back up the other side of the car, writes down teh inspection sticker down on a ticket, comes over and says "You have to go to an inspection station within 5 days and get a stamp saying your exhaust system is correct, and if you don't send it in in 5 days, your license is suspended. I know its a sports car and sometimes youll "romp on it" but its sunday afternoon and people don't want to hear it, so if you are going to do that go somewhere where noone will hear you."

This is bull. Cops from this town that I was in are notorious for being aholes. I'm sorry but when he sees I got inspected LAST MONTH, and I didn't change anything, and my exhaust is just as loud or QUIETER than those stupid rice mufflers, its bull. I'm at school, If any shops are open on Columbus day i'll be lucky, and hopefully tehy don't give me any trouble. I'm goign back to college tomorrow afternoon and I don't have time to deal with it once I'm there.

This is rediculous.....

/end rant.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Something similar happened to a friend of mine, he got a ticket for noise disturbance. That was mainly because the muffler fell off his Volvo stationwagon.

I considered buying the SFR catback for my car, but i think im going to pass atleast till im a little older. I dont want to draw any unncesary attention to myself.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Awww, poor baby! :'(

Seems like cops cause more trouble than good, no? Makes you wanna wish they'd only police everyone but you. Too bad you can't have your cake and eat it.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:33 PM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where the heck do you live?
Cops here are too busy with the city going nuts to worry about anyones muffler.
You need more crime in your area to keep the cops busy.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:37 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I know our exhausts are well made, and don't rust - but can't he see that the exhaust is not anywhere near new?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I live in the boonies. That's probably the problem. The cops have nothing to do but sit around and wait for people to do anythign so they can fill their quota for the week. And it's really annoying when they choose something like this. I'm at school and for some peopel that don't have time to sit around on teh side of the road all day giving peopel tickets, its hard to get this kind of thing taken care of.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:48 PM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Maybe you should drive around with a box of Krispy Kremes so that when Roscoe gets bored, you can feed him.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:49 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

And we need more homeland security money for so-called "first responders"?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMonkey
Where the heck do you live?
Cops here are too busy with the city going nuts to worry about anyones muffler.
You need more crime in your area to keep the cops busy.
Wow, isn't that a nice wish! Good intentions; executed terribly
Old 10-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Waitaminute.. do you have to PAY someone to do this inspection? Were you exceeding the local decibel limit? Did he measure it?

I'm all for enforcement and policing, but if he is going to do it, he should be doing it by the book. I can't believe they can just issue you an inspection order because you revved up the motor. that can't be right.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:18 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your exhaust stock? I can't imagine it being that loud that he'd pull you over.

Now, I had a cop tail me for a few miles when I was missing my O2 sensor. That was loud, had to do every possible to stay off the throttle and keep the RPM's low.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:38 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been driving the 954 since friday, I'm suprised that I don't have a ticket yet. Put it this way, it's atleast twice as loud as my dad's turbo, and he only has the cat pipe, no rear section at all! If I see a cop, I drop it straight to 4th and bogg it. I'm thinking about putting a header baffle in the tail section.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, see all the new GMC SUVs out there now? Chances are- if you see two males wearing shades during the daytime....those are Bush's Boys (Homeland Security) on the lookout for Bin Laden(sic!) types. I never saw more SUVs and black helicopters than on this Labor Day weekend.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

It is stock muffler, and a Universal standard (not high flow) flow cat that I welded in. Yes there are a few leaks, but What bout all those diesel pickups? they are WAYY louder than me.. and I could never see me being as annoying as those choppers either. No decible level, just "it sounded way too loud". ugh. just to avoid trouble with the shop I brought it to last time, I'm going to have my gf's dad call an inspection guy he's friends with to hopefully just stamp my ticket.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:54 PM
ttwirz
Racer

I have an SFR 2.5 test pipe and cat back. Loud is an under statement. When ever I see cops I coast and hope I don't have to throttle up. That does sound like a lame ticket, sounds like he just wants to make you dance for the man because he had nothing else on you.

Quick Reply: Pulled over tonight - stupid jerk cops