Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over tonight - stupid jerk cops

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:09 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try 3 inch from the downpipe out with a 7dB resonator and a divorced wastegate, no baffle at all. I could roll a friggin queball all the way through my exhaust. Now my NA, is dead stock except the cone filter, it's not really loud, but louder than your average new car on throttle. Yeah, if I though the local judge was any better than this cop, I'd say contest it. Just comply, grin and bear it. I agree about it being BS. My buddie had that faded smoke tint, it's mirror at the top 3 inches or so and fades to like 40% or so, whatever is legal. They tested it at the very top. Heck, you could read a newspaper through his tint. Still got the ticket.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:11 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Better than hearing "You're going down" just because he had a tiff with his wife and his panties are in a bunch. Be polite, swallow your pride and hope the donuts take him out before your kids learn to drive. My exhaust in the 951 is a bit rumbly, never been pulled over, my yougest son in the N/A is like a po-po magnet, I can't even hear the car with the stock exhuast...that never stopped our local PD from doing their duty though. Age is a blessing, when you are pulled over by someone half your age, you have the hammer, you just have to know how to use it. Trust me, one ticket out of at least 7 stops in the last 30 years. Youth is cursed in their eyes.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttwirz
I have an SFR 2.5 test pipe and cat back. Loud is an under statement. When ever I see cops I coast and hope I don't have to throttle up. That does sound like a lame ticket, sounds like he just wants to make you dance for the man because he had nothing else on you.
Amen to that. I'm all for enforcement of laws as well, but the majority of traffic cops that I've come across act like they're the only people who are upstanding citizens. I don't buy the intimidation gig at all.

What ever happened to "to serve and protect?"

If a person is doing nothing wrong, yet is pulled over and harassed because of their profile: young white male with sports car, it's ludicrous.

That sucks, Devon, but be happy you at least didn't get a full ticket! My buddy and I got tickets in Orlando a few months back that were total hack jobs. Following my buddy to a hangout spot on a Saturday night, an unmarked car slid to a stop coming from the other direction to pull us over. Since I we were doing EXACTLY the speed limit, as my friend had recent speeding tickets and didn't want any more trouble, I figured he was going to run the tags and check our registration. I kept a smile on my face and answered "yes sir" and "no sir" to the questions he asked. He came back from his car and asked both of us to sign our 20mph-over speeding tickets. Two 20y.o. guys driving one red Porsche and a modified Integra... he couldn't find anything wrong with us except that we had prior speeding tickets, so he added another on.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:58 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Personally, where i live the cops have nothing better to do than raz you. Not to mention the majority of them are racist so i really don't like THOSE cops. I have a few stories about them...
Abridged version: My friend and I, (he's black and i'm mexican), finish playing footbal in the park. we are covered in mud and headed back to his house. A cop suddenly flips a u-turn flashes his siren and lights then cuts us off. Procedes to question us, ID us, no legal ID, i was 15 and so was my friend. Then he REACHES for his handcuffs but sean's mom walks out of the house and asks what the problem was. Stopped neing an @$$ after that. Reason for puling us over, suspected bank robbery!!!! Now if this cop in your situation did go by the book and had a decibel meter, then ok. HE just has nothing better to do than eat donuts, pick his nose and harass people!! end rant.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

See, its stupid incidents like these that get me pumped for my big day! Oh yes, that day is coming baby! I CAAAAAANT wait! Im gonna go pick up my Lambo with Tubi Straight pipes and I am gonna let the the whole world hear that banshee-style scream! Please, a normal inspection station wouldnt even be able to FIND where the tail pipes connect on a lambo! Its as stock as i know of officer! How many times have you seen one of these up close? HA NEVER! GET OUTTA HERE!!! RRROOOOOOAAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!

Its understandable though, i mean... think... they are REQUIRED to drive an issued american car! Ide be sore too.

(oh and by the way...im not quite sure what day i will be picking up my Lambo. I figure each day that goes by, i DO get closer to that day. Since we arent getting any younger, its gotta be coming soon! Hows that for a crazy way to look at it?)
Old 10-11-2004, 01:33 AM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Serge944
Wow, isn't that a nice wish! Good intentions; executed terribly
Why not? That would have the police too busy to be checking mufflers or the speed limit. That seems to be what every one here wants. Drive like an a$$ clown. no need to follow any laws, the cops are bad.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:48 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

I got pulled 14 times in 3 months and 3 times in the same day for loud exhaust. The best one though was when I was coming down a hill and saw the cop about 1/4 mile away. I shut off the engine and just started coasting. Bet my wife 20 bucks that I would still get pulled over. Sure enough cop gets beside me and on comes the lights. She pulls me over wlks up to the window and says that the reason she pulled me over was because my exhaust was to loud!
I just started laughing..............at least she let me off with only a warning though.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I'm surprised I haven't been pulled over for loud brakes! My wife can tell if I'm home when I've nearly 1/2 a block away!

Track pads are great for stopping, but they squeel like a greased pig in a butcher store!

As mentioned above - swallow your pride, go through the inspection, and you'll be clear. Keep the records in your glovebox for the next time you get pulled over for a loud exhaust. I think this is due to all the aftermarket 'fart-can' exhausts that just make a lot of noise (but don't help much in the way of performance).
-Z.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:57 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Man, that sucks. Memphis doesn't even care. My magnaflow is pretty loud, and I'm probably going to buy the SFR cat back and their high flow cat soon. The truck only has a header, then a straight pipe with a 4" glasspack about 3 feet long, then it turns down (and thats ignoring the loud hum of the tire's lugs). It's a loud beast, but hardly ever sees the street. Cops simply don't care down here. I guess they have enough "real crime" to fight.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is BULL. I'm pissed off right now, I really don't need this... I went to the place i got my inspection, they are closed today. just great. I had my gf's dad call teh guy he goes too, and he said he'd stamp it for me no problem. He gets all his work done with this guy and he does foreign cars like MGB's and stuff all teh time so i figure i'm set. I go over there, hes like "it is a little loud, i already lost my license once for someones license plate light, I am not going to stamp it unless i'm sure, youll have to go somewhere else." Theres noowhere else around here open today. My school is a fricken hour away. I'm going back tonight and am probably going to have to drive home right after classes tomorrow and go to the place I got my inspection done. I figure i have the best bet with them since they passed me a month ago and it is the same as it was then, so they shouldn't have the right to not stamp it.. should they? Obviously they can, but its not right if they dont.

I'm about to hit something or someone right now. I don't need this!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheMonkey
Why not? That would have the police too busy to be checking mufflers or the speed limit. That seems to be what every one here wants. Drive like an a$$ clown. no need to
follow any laws, the cops are bad.

Drive like an a$$ clown? is that referring to me? I didn't do a single thing wrong. I have a universal cat, and the stock muffler. It's not overly loud in any way. All the ones i've heard on videos and such from the list all sound the same or maybe even louder. I was below the speedlimit, accelerating on a large road to get up to the speed of traffic basically. Flooring it in the NA doesn't do crap as far as being wreckless or anything, flooring it in my mom's cherokee is a lot worse.

I don't knock cops for speeding tickets, as long as they are just and whatever. I'm not saying i shoudl get away with doing something i'm not supposed to be doing. But I wasn't doing anything I wasn't allowed to do. The cop was just bored or something. So yes, he's a bad cop, and I have other experiences with this specific one in the past couple months to back that up (my mom driving was the last one).
Old 10-11-2004, 04:20 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I love Green Bay - there are so many Harley's with wide open pipes and mud runners with no mufflers, no cop bats an eye when I'm at 6k with no mufflers on my 928.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

This sucks man. I wish I was there. thing is, we got bikes like that all over here too. Cop just felt like giving me a hard time, now its already taken at least 3 or 4 hours out of my time and at least 10 bucks in gas so far, and ill have to do about 2 hours of driving tomorrow because of it.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:37 PM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Drive like an a$$ clown? is that referring to me? I didn't do a single thing wrong. I have a universal cat, and the stock muffler. It's not overly loud in any way. All the ones i've heard on videos and such from the list all sound the same or maybe even louder. I was below the speedlimit, accelerating on a large road to get up to the speed of traffic basically. Flooring it in the NA doesn't do crap as far as being wreckless or anything, flooring it in my mom's cherokee is a lot worse.

I don't knock cops for speeding tickets, as long as they are just and whatever. I'm not saying i shoudl get away with doing something i'm not supposed to be doing. But I wasn't doing anything I wasn't allowed to do. The cop was just bored or something. So yes, he's a bad cop, and I have other experiences with this specific one in the past couple months to back that up (my mom driving was the last one).
Sorry Devon,
I wasn't suggesting that there was anything wrong with your driving. I also agree that there are some bad cops out there. I was just generalizing a bunch of posts where people get tickets and what not and are pi$$ed at the cops. It's funny cuz they usually don't deny doing what they did to get the ticket but just think that the cop should have not bothered with them. If the cop is really out of line, there are usually ways to lodge a complaint. That way if he is bad he will be held accountable.
Good luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:30 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

don't feel bad , I got pulled over the other day as well 66 in a 55.

As I see it the best way to reduce the problem is to quit voting for improved police protection. Every year or so I always see something on the ballet to provide increased funding for the police. If people would quit voting yes we'd see less cops hiding behind the radar gun, hence, less speeding tickets.

Quick Reply: Pulled over tonight - stupid jerk cops