Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident...totaled

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 04:33 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, my daily driver is an SUV. If someone pulls out in front of me and I cave in their door, is it my fault?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Glad you're okay, seriously that could have been ugly. G-damn SUVs. You're lucky you weren't killed by that monstrosity. Good thing it wasn't on the driver's side or you probably would caught the bumper with your skull. . .

Be careful out there people!

Now, when can I send you my parts request list?

Good thing it was an SUV that hit the Porsche instead of some lesser car. If it was a lesser car the driver may have been killed from the impact against a car as strong and solid as the Porsche. Then Blood would have a lawsuit from the decedent's family, and orphaned children on his conscience all his life. Thank heaven for SUVS.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:54 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that, i'm sure your bummed out. the car has always seemed to cause you pain over the last year. Anyway, start thinking of another plan - gather those good parts and start selling them. If the fuchs are in good shape that will be a start. use the money to get a cheap dependable daily driver and start saving for another p-car.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:08 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Stuff like this happens, glad to hear you are ok...

Some of you guys need to chill before accusing the other driver...geez.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh well. I thought speeding thorugh the neighborhood was a crime. I know my neighbors get pissed when kids race down mine.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:24 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Ha, my mom was pulling out of our hidden driveway on Seven Hills Rd and pulled in front of a Explorer doing about 65+ over the crest of the hill. My mom pulls out as its blind and bam here comes a speeding truck that has to swerve and ends up flipping into the ditch.
Explorer is totalled, minimal damage to my Moms car. Totally our fault, insurance wrote them a check.

There are hidden driveway signs everywhere and a posted speedlimit of 40 or less I think, still it was my Moms fault for pulling out.
Im not complaining, just pointing out that even in that sorta similar situation it will be hard to prove the other driver at fault.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
Oh well. I thought speeding thorugh the neighborhood was a crime. I know my neighbors get pissed when kids race down mine.
Who was speeding? What is the speed limit on the road Blood was entering?

You should be in politics!
Never met who? How many billion?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:32 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blood, sorry to hear that, man. I know EXACTLY what you're going through -- they finally declared my car a total this week... The sad part is regardless who's at fault, the insurance won't compensate you for all the sweat you put into the car. It's a sad day, but I'm glad the accident didn't take your life -- no insurance covers your for that.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer your question, no - you're not at fault if you're driving an SUV and someone pulls out in front of you and you hit them, but you do have to live with the fact that if you happen to injure or kill the other driver, your choice of vehicle might have prevented it.

An SUV is an inherently poor and rather insensitive choice of vehicle insofar as it attempts to protect its occupants by killing the other guy; the things are rolling safety hazards - they have huge blind spots, awful CGs, you can't see around them and the mass of the vehicle is right about where the glass of most "normal" car drivers (including 944s) is - to say nothing of the heads of the drivers. The braking action sucks as well - it's a lot easier to stop a 2,500 or even 3,000 pound car than a 5,000 or 6,000 pound SUV.

It just seems unnecessary to me to go out of your way to endanger the lives of your fellow motorists so you can pretend to be part of the "Eddie Bauer" crowd while the truth is you're probably a cubicle rat and will probably never take the thing on a dirt road, much less off-road. Poseur wagons. Bah!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Unfortunately I think the term out here is "failure to yield to oncoming traffic". 99% of the time the driver pulling out will lose. Then again how many times have you been the one who has to slam on your brakes, safe speed or not? Those blind driveways are the worst. I hope no one was seriously hurt.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:25 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang guys leave the man alone and quite guessing on what happened.! Seesh, like a bunch of school kida arguing about who goes first in the lunch line.

He came here to tell us of his misfourtines not aking us who was right or wrong. Give the guy a break he just wrecked his Porsche for chirsts sake.

Vultures... geez. They are getting real bad as of late. When I wrecked my car a year ago (which should of be totalled) not one person asked me about parts.

Blood, Sorry to hear about your accident, let us/me know if you need anyhelp with anything.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:46 PM
bpp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, sorry to hear about the accident I hope everyone is O.K.

I hope your run of bad luck is over and you'll find yourself in a much nicer p-car real soon.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:31 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Yeah, everyone is ok, I am just really sore...

As far as who was at fault, I will not hesitate in saying that I am 100% at fault. The sun was in my eyes, it was glaring down on a red truck that I didn't see, and I pulled out in front of it. She was doing 5 over the limit, but the point is, it was still my fault. I am not going to try to fight anything, it was no one else fault but mine. My car is gone now, and let it rest in peice. As far as the vultures go, it is actually quite amusing, kind of brightens the mood a little bit. I will probably part it out, knowing that I may be able to get enough to buy another one, and yes, I did have full coverage. I am soon to find out how much I will be getting in the check, and a list of all undamaged parts that will probably be for sale, but I will tell you this much....FUCHS ARE NOT FOR SALE!!! In less I find a turbo that already has Fuchs on it, I am not parting with these beauties....
Old 10-06-2004, 08:22 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Glad to read you and the others involved are ok.

I've pulled out in front of cars before, but I was lucky enough not to be hit. I suspect most people have done the same. And there was only property damage, that's good.

Anyway, I went through this when my 83 NA was totaled a few months ago. I won't bore anyone here with my experience dealing with the insurance company, but feel free to PM me if you want to know details.

Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:32 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

well i'll say it again, glad to hear you're ok... as for the fuchs... i had to ask, you know how it is! i've been trying to find a set of cups for heaven knows how long, but i'd really like some 8" fuchs... i figured i'd ask anyway, as i'm sure you could use the money.

for now, i'll say, good luck finding a righteous car to put those fuchs on...

-Mike-

Last edited by ERAU-944; 10-07-2004 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Accident...totaled