Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start -interesting symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004 | 09:27 PM
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member

Default no start -interesting symptoms

o.k. fellas, here goes - car starts but wont restart till next day or so . when it starts it takes alot of cranking. all the usual culprits have been checked or replaced. ALL! when cranking it wants to go but doesn't. there was a good amount of oil in the airbox as well as the afm and throttle body. (smoking from airbox while cranking.) have not swapped dme yet. the fuel pmp runs, coil has 12.3 v's and i have good spark. did the thump test on dme rel. and dme itself. car sounds good when it runs. starter is new but seems to crank the flywheel easily, but sometimes struggles to spin it, then at that point, it really feels like it wants to light off. when it does this it almost seems like the battery is about out of juice, but i turn the key off and go for a restart it cranks easy and strong. the battery is new. going crazy and broke. this is so diff. than my 928s4 which i have always worked on. appreciation for any help is an understatement! thanks kevin. enjoying your forum, by the way
Old 10-05-2004 | 09:38 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Michael
o.k. fellas, here goes - car starts but wont restart till next day or so . when it starts it takes alot of cranking. all the usual culprits have been checked or replaced. ALL! when cranking it wants to go but doesn't. there was a good amount of oil in the airbox as well as the afm and throttle body. (smoking from airbox while cranking.) have not swapped dme yet. the fuel pmp runs, coil has 12.3 v's and i have good spark. did the thump test on dme rel. and dme itself. car sounds good when it runs. starter is new but seems to crank the flywheel easily, but sometimes struggles to spin it, then at that point, it really feels like it wants to light off. when it does this it almost seems like the battery is about out of juice, but i turn the key off and go for a restart it cranks easy and strong. the battery is new. going crazy and broke. this is so diff. than my 928s4 which i have always worked on. appreciation for any help is an understatement! thanks kevin. enjoying your forum, by the way
You did not mention speed and reference sensors. Try wiggling the connections to see if that helps to start the car.
Old 10-05-2004 | 09:48 PM
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member

brand new! thanks andre
Old 10-05-2004 | 09:53 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

HTML Code:
brand new!
But, are they gapped/mounted correctly?

If they were just replaced and not set correctly, that will definitely cause a No Start condition.

Just my .02 worth since you asked......
Old 10-05-2004 | 10:40 PM
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member

installed per wsm instructions. thanks for helping! keep it comin'
Old 10-06-2004 | 12:12 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Questions.

Has it always done this?

Did it start (no pun) doing this after some other work had been done?

Does it start right up the next day, or do you have to crank it a lot then as well?

I might think fuel related. As in the pressure regulator or damper... or... how does the ground from the battery look and connections at the starter???

Always fun to track these down ....keep us posted...
Old 10-06-2004 | 12:19 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

sounds like fuel delivery issue. Have you checked the fuel pressure yet? I have seen problems with the in tank fuel screen in the early cars, take the fuel line off the pump and see if there is a nice steady stream of fuel running out. Also possible for the FPR to stick and send the fuel pressure sky high, try disconnecting one injector and see if the car will start like that.
Good luck, Mark
Old 10-06-2004 | 07:19 PM
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member

mark pulled an inj. plug- no change. fuel pressure is a possibility. i'll check that tonight. thanks, kevin

Quick Reply: no start -interesting symptoms