Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I sell the 944 for 13,500?
yes, sell it
90.24%
no, keep it
9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

should i sell my '89 944 n.a for 13,500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004 | 02:42 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by azndrvr447
basically i'm not in debt with my parents...they said they would handle costs of repairs since i agreed for them to cut my allowance since i have my own on campus job here...
You're in college and you get allowance?
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:51 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

...well they don't really have to pay much for tuition. i'm on a full ride here.
Old 10-04-2004 | 03:23 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by azndrvr447
...well they don't really have to pay much for tuition. i'm on a full ride here.
Oh, that's different. Congrats.

In that case, keep the car unless they really need the money for something. You're already saving your parents much more in school costs than you cost them in maintaining the car.
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:46 PM
JediAgent
Racer

If I were in your shoes going to school on your own free ride, with a job to cover all your other costs outside of the maintenance of the car I would offer your parents a deal.

You cant lose here, but they can. You can keep driving a wonderful 2.7L that you already enjoy, or you can roll the MAJORITY of 13.5 into another one, say a 951 or an S2 - whatever you feel like. You just need to play it like you cant lose, and that your parents have a good opportunity to gain some of their maintenance costs back and please one of mom's friends. At that point I would tell them that in order 'buy' those benefits it would only be worth the sale of the 944 if you were to retain a larger portion of the dividends that you could then purchase another 944/951 with, assuming the same agreement of maintenance costs being their responsibility. Something like a 9k share of the profits could easily buy you a nice 951 with some extra money to modify it - and still provide your parents with 4.5k of recouped maintenance costs, something they never even expected.

Being able to walk away from 13.5k simply because "the situation doesnt meet your needs correctly" and "money isn't everything" would turn my head if i were one of your parents.
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:54 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JediAgent
If I were in your shoes going to school on your own free ride, with a job to cover all your other costs outside of the maintenance of the car I would offer your parents a deal.

You cant lose here, but they can. You can keep driving a wonderful 2.7L that you already enjoy, or you can roll the MAJORITY of 13.5 into another one, say a 951 or an S2 - whatever you feel like. You just need to play it like you cant lose, and that your parents have a good opportunity to gain some of their maintenance costs back and please one of mom's friends. At that point I would tell them that in order 'buy' those benefits it would only be worth the sale of the 944 if you were to retain a larger portion of the dividends that you could then purchase another 944/951 with, assuming the same agreement of maintenance costs being their responsibility. Something like a 9k share of the profits could easily buy you a nice 951 with some extra money to modify it - and still provide your parents with 4.5k of recouped maintenance costs, something they never even expected.

Being able to walk away from 13.5k simply because "the situation doesnt meet your needs correctly" and "money isn't everything" would turn my head if i were one of your parents.
I know a little more about this situation, because I talk on aim with Jake a fair amount. This is waht I gather from the situation that he didn't state...

He was going to part his car out before, to make the money back that he spent doing a super rebuild of the engine. His dad came home, and told him he could not part it out, because he had spent so much time on it, and the car was going to be amazing.

So his dad told him he would just take it to a shop and have them fix it right, so that it is running and out of the garage.

I think teh point his parents are making, is that, if he would bail out of the car now, simply because of money matters, it would be kind of going against what they wanted him to base his values on during this whole project.

His dad apparently didn't want to see his work go to waste in him parting it, because of money matters, so he took it upon his own checkbook to pay for the finishing of his engine by the shop it is at now.

I think they are goign to stick with keeping the rest of the money other than the 4k, as well as not let him get another, because it shows a little bit of weak decision making on his part. They want him to put his time to good use, and do what he needs to to save money otherwise, without taking the easy way out - Selling the 944.

That's my take from what I know of his situation. He can correct me of course... But I think you have ot understand that to judge how he should approach his parents on this matter.
Old 10-04-2004 | 03:01 PM
JediAgent
Racer

If his parents are set on only letting him keep 4k and not letting him get another 944 than i wouldn't sell.

But it also sounds like his parents don't want him to sell either as it would belittle all the work he has done to it so far, regardless of the money. Yeah, so i guess my vote is don't sell. It's not worth it you, not just because of the money, but because you have time and hardship into this thing... hey wait... what exactly did you do to this car anyway... is this the built motor from a month or so ago that was being parted out, but never did?

It would make our decisions much easier if you posted pics again.
Old 10-04-2004 | 03:10 PM
JediAgent
Racer

WAIT!
I just figured it out... it sounded fishey. One of mom's "friends" offers waaay too much for the car at a time before your able to really enjoy all the work you've put into it... but right when you need money most, and really want to end the heartache this project has caused... SOUNDS LIKE A TRAP! Your parents are testing you...
Old 10-04-2004 | 03:39 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Hmm.. that's a good one Jedi. Like I said, they want him to put his values in the right place.

And that place is.. always wehre the porsche stays.

Quick Reply: should i sell my '89 944 n.a for 13,500?