Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been toying with this idea...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Been toying with this idea...

...for a few months - I am bringing the three window switches to the middle, instead of the doors. Over time, the door-mounted window switches seem to break free from the weak plastic mounts- requiring you to glue them back into place.

I think the center console is the perfect place for these switches, gravity-wise.

Mounting them horizontally, will certainly place less strain on the thin plastic tabs holding the snap-loc switch ends. Besides- it looks much better to fill the console with something that is functional, unlike the non-op plastic blanks!

If you have already done away with the factory Blaupunkt casette radio w/ fader, then all three switches will make the switching row complete. Just scoot the existing sunroof/rear wiper/mirror changeover switches down TWO spaces to the right- orientating the driver switch to the very left end. The passenger switch can either stay on the door, or better just move it to the far right of the console itself. In fact- even cars with the Power Locks, can now squeeze the central lock switch, staying in the switching group. All that would be lost... is the now seemingly-redundant second passenger master/driver window switch.

But, to do this- all window switch wiring MUST be lengthened by at least 12", in order to make it to the center console. Simply splice additional wiring from each harness end (color code if you MUST) then crimp the original snap connector to the switch accordingly. So how to deal with the new holes "found" on the door? If only moving TWO window switches- the blanks formerly from the console can now be moved to fill the door switch mount! The fader can now be retired, if no longer using the 80's-ish power fader feature. The OEM blanks still fit the door as perfect as they did the console.....which is great, because I am reluctant to take a drill anywhere within proximity of my 951....because If Porsche didnt drill it out already- I'd rather leave already ALONE. What are your thoughts? I think I can perform this upgrade task in 2hrs-if well-planned out. I have owned many e30 BMWs (1986 325/87'325is/90'M3/89'325i) that have the switching logically placed in the center console. Many times I still reach for the center, to open the windows...only to be reminded I'm in the Porsche now!

I'll post pix of this once complete. I will opt for the two-switch move. That way- I can now keep an extra switch handy. Chime in!

Zach

Last edited by Dilberto; 10-03-2004 at 12:05 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like an amazing idea. I might have to try this also.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

The middle is where Mazda put the switches on the RX7. Pre ezpass it was a pain having them there and trying to put the windows up and shift after paying a toll.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Variance
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,
That's odd, the switches are on the doors in my 7. That's odd that yours were in the center console. Did you have an S5? (You had a FC, right?) Maybe it was a S5-only thing.

Anyway, Zack,
It sounds like a good idea to me. It would the switches more quickly reached, and you wouldn't have to swap hands on the steering wheel, if you keep your right hand near/on the shifter. Good luck with this endeavor, and I look forward to seeing your results; I've been thinking of relocating switches in my RX-7 lately.

-=Kenneth=-
Old 10-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no room for them on my centre console.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:55 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I always loved the window controls on my Miata on the center console. I've thought of the same thing as you many times. Even the early 944's had a more intuitive switch, it was larger, but still in the wrong spot. The conversion on the later cars would leave room for a tweeter where the existing switches are. I would put mine behind the shifter though, not on the line where all the blanks are now in the console...call me lazy!
Old 10-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Whats more annoying is when you have a lazy motor. "Are the window's up yet," da kids be sayin.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:29 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are placed in the center console on the 928 and I didn't like it at all.

Where they are on the door now you don't have to look where your hand is going since you can feel the controls. On the center control it's not as easy finding them and if you do have to look you are taking your eyes far away from the road.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:47 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Someone on Rennlist has already done this. It was a while ago, though. Use the Search button.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a good idea,

If I were to do it, I would put small rocker switches in place if my unused ones by the ashtray.
This way, you don't have to lean forward to push them..

I've always hated them in the doors..
I have 3 unused yellow switches on mine, I don't know about other models
( mirrors ) ( blank ) ( blank ) ( blank ) ( rear wiper - inop )
well, it might just be 2, it's late, can't think

I think I'll get some rocker switches and do just that the next time i'm in that area working on stuff.

Good tip !!!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor FC3S
Tom,
That's odd, the switches are on the doors in my 7. That's odd that yours were in the center console. Did you have an S5? (You had a FC, right?) Maybe it was a S5-only thing.

Anyway, Zack,
It sounds like a good idea to me. It would the switches more quickly reached, and you wouldn't have to swap hands on the steering wheel, if you keep your right hand near/on the shifter. Good luck with this endeavor, and I look forward to seeing your results; I've been thinking of relocating switches in my RX-7 lately.

-=Kenneth=-
On the first generations they were in the console, on the second they were in the doors. the second gens were the first car to have a switch that you pushed down to go down, and pulled up to go up.

Quick Reply: Been toying with this idea...