Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I do?
take the money and walk away
42.59%
take the money, salvage, and repair
18.52%
take the money, salvage, and part out
31.48%
fight for a clean title
7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Looking like a total -- to repair or to walk away.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004 | 05:41 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

At 24.5k valuation, I take the money and run. The car will sell for about 4 to 5k at the salvage auction (my cousin bought a 968 cab with less damage and 59k miles for $5500 3 years ago). One option is to take the repair money to the maximum of what they are willing to pay ($17,218) before they total the car. Then take the car to a bodyshop that won't replace everything (most of the damaged parts including the fender and bumper cover can be repaired) and have it fixed for around 4k. I know bodyshops that will fix that damage and paint the whole car for 2.5k if I brought them the parts.
Old 10-01-2004 | 11:09 AM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Originally Posted by Legoland951
One option is to take the repair money to the maximum of what they are willing to pay ($17,218) before they total the car. Then take the car to a bodyshop that won't replace everything (most of the damaged parts including the fender and bumper cover can be repaired) and have it fixed for around 4k. I know bodyshops that will fix that damage and paint the whole car for 2.5k if I brought them the parts.
How would that work - can I tell them, don't "total" the car, but just compensate me for the damages? If I can keep the title clear, that makes the repair option a little more attractive -- I pretty much know that the any other shop will charge less, especially since I can do some of the work myself.
Old 10-01-2004 | 11:39 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Option #3. Part it, you'll make more off it. Truly sad that these insurance companies can do that to you. Then go buy a really nice 968 cabriolet and turbocharge the hell out of it

BTW how much for the engine, the wheels, and the transmission?

Or make a dedicated race car out of it. I've decided if someone ever totals my 951, that's what happens - blowtorch comes out and it becomes "track only". Then I don't care what the title says - it's not a collectable any more.
Old 10-01-2004 | 11:47 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

First off these cars are not collectible, and probably never will be. There are too many around.

Second, think about what you are planning on doing. Instead of taking a check for 25k and buying a perfect example (didnt somene from the board say his father has one for sale) you want to take a check for say 17k, spend say 12k and have a car worth say 15k. If one day later you decide you dont want the car and you sell the car for 15k and add the 5k you pocketed you have 20k.

If you buy a perfect example for 25k, you should be able to sell it the next day for 25k.

Now on the other hand, if you can get say 19k plus the car with a salvage title and you can part the motor blah blah blah and end up with say 28k, well, you know the rest. Theoretically you can end up with a nicer car than you started with. I ended up with two cars, each in better condition than the one I started with.

I personally would not fix the car. I don't believe it when people say it is as good as new.

Last edited by Tom R.; 10-01-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2004 | 12:42 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Completely agree with Tom! TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!! You are getting a GREAT price for the car, and you can walk away without having to worry about repairs, costs, mechanics not doing it right, paint that looks like a miss-match...etc, etc!

$25k?? I would be ALL OVER THAT offer in a second!! You can buy a SWEETER 968, AND a 944 with that money!
!
Old 10-01-2004 | 12:52 PM
jc22
Pro

Salvage title or not. If you repair the car and keep a clean title it will still be a tough sell due to the accident. Telling a buyer it was in a small accident and cost 17K to fix will be difficult. Part it out, go buy another.
Old 10-01-2004 | 01:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Look at what you can get for around 25k.

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

http://www.autotechnik.com/Merchant2...y_Code=Porsche

http://www.autotechnik.com/Merchant2...y_Code=Porsche

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

I know all seven cars are not "right" cars. I am willing to bet at least one of them is "right". Now that you got a chub from at least one of those cars, do you still want to drive a car that was put back together?
Old 10-01-2004 | 01:12 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have to agree with Andy and Tom on this one. The car may never be the same after it's repaired. Take the $25K and buy another one. Let that one help some lucky NA owner build his 944S3.
Old 10-01-2004 | 01:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am going to pick up a few lotto tickets today. I suggest you do it too Pete.

We agree on something, the stars are aligned!!

Seriously Joe, unless you can do the work yourself, and are willing to dedicate the time, it just is not worth it.

I've been "restoring" my Firebird for 27 (or is it 28? Nov 76) of its 36 years!
Old 10-01-2004 | 01:34 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944pete
I have to agree with Andy and Tom on this one. The car may never be the same after it's repaired. Take the $25K and buy another one. Let that one help some lucky NA owner build his 944S3.
I agree.

Actually, if you want to do a service to Rennlist, find someone on here that wants the engine and trans, and has the money (that's important). Then take the settlement, buy the car back for $6K, then sell it to that Rennlister for a future swap. Now that would be stellar! You get the full settlement, and someone here gets to do a swap.....
Old 10-01-2004 | 01:36 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I agree.

Actually, if you want to do a service to Rennlist, find someone on here that wants the engine and trans, and has the money (that's important). Then take the settlement, buy the car back for $6K, then sell it to that Rennlister for a future swap. Now that would be stellar! You get the full settlement, and someone here gets to do a swap.....

I think Matt H put a feeler out for a 968 drivetrain. I bet Ian has a few leads.

My brother may be interested in the wheels, and now we can all watch the vultures take off.
Old 10-01-2004 | 01:58 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Well, it's starting to sound as the wisdom of the board is to part out the car. I still haven't quite come to terms with it yet, but I can definitely hear the vultures already.... Even my GF has laid claims to the Cup IIs and the rear windscreen already. Sigh....

Parting out or restoring -- either way it'll be a lot of work (how the heck does one go about shipping an engine, for instance?) In the meantime, I got a garage space in Venice (which is really exciting b/c I've always wrenched on the sidewalk or in driveways!!!) -- just round the corner from Otto's. He's an incredible Porsche mechanic, but he hates water-pumpers...
Old 10-01-2004 | 02:01 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I was saying, if you don't want to mess with the parting, just sell the whole car to someone for the salvage price you pay for it and wash your hands of the mess.
Old 10-01-2004 | 02:02 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok...the white Boxster Tom suggested up in his search is an AWESOME car...I know it, and it's VERY fast....

Also, we've got a 92 968 Cabrio for sale if you're in the mood to stick with the 968 realm...we're lookin about $24,000.00 negotiable...PM me if ya want details.

Good luck man.
Old 10-01-2004 | 02:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Ok...the white Boxster Tom suggested up in his search is an AWESOME car...I know it, and it's VERY fast....

Also, we've got a 92 968 Cabrio for sale if you're in the mood to stick with the 968 realm...we're lookin about $24,000.00 negotiable...PM me if ya want details.

Good luck man.
I think your dads car is the one I was referring to in an earlier post. IIRC Gray?

Joseph,
Take Jeremys suggestion one step further. Sell/give the wheels and other parts to your G/F, sell the seats, mirrors & other shipable interior parts, then sell the rest to the person that wants the drivetrain.

If the car was gray I would want your mirrors. Out of curiosity (mine and the other vultures) what color is the interior?

Here is your ad slogan
Buy a drivetrain, get a body thrown in.

Quick Reply: Looking like a total -- to repair or to walk away.