Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRECKED GRRRR!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

True- the main thing, of course, is that YOU are OK.

I'd blame the older Michelin XGT's..

Really- if you need a hand with anything I'll be around this weekend- plans to go to Illinois Friday fell through last night.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:17 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, knowing you it will be better than before once your finished.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its sitting outside work right now, fender is crunched and nose, thats about it...i blame crappy tires...luckily he has a parts car sitting in the back yard w/ all the parts needed.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave
Sorry to hear it, I had my own incident today (my own fault for overdriving the conditions) so I know what was going through your mind at the time (I was waiting for the roof to smack me in the skull but got lucky and landed on all fours, nothing a carwash won't fix. OTOH I guess I have to stop reminding Z-man of his spin, at least his was at LRP, mine was on Rt 80).
Hehe.... na, you don't have to stop reminding me about my spin at Lime Rock, I just want to hear the DETAILS of your spin on Rt. 80 so I can dish it right back at ya!
Originally Posted by nine-44
I was thinking something like, why the **** am I sliding, I'm not into the brakes that hard, I barely even turned the wheel and didn't snap the wheel and nothing felt broken but traction?? ...
It's getting colder - colder = less grip for your tires to work with. You're used to the tires performing better for you, but now you've got colder ambient temps, colder road temps, and your tire's harder and less grippy. I'd say that had something to do with your slide.
Originally Posted by tifosiman
Maybe better tires, but heavier (front) springs would only exaggerate the understeer issue .
Totally agree. Completely true.

nine-44:
Hope your DD gets fixed soon! (I should be getting my S2 back this week - with a new head, valves, valve guides, springs...etc.... Hey, in the process I've lightened my car - my wallet's half as thick as it used to be! )
-Z.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:49 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Unfortunate circumstances. At least you got up this morning to tell about it.

A lot of times pavement thats just halfway wet gets very greasy. We had drizzle in the area last night. Usually a full rain washes the road grease away completely.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:51 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffman912
you mean he just up and split the case, and replaced the rod bearings, like that. didnt do anything else with the bottom end or have anything checked or magnafluxed before selaing it up?
Haha! Your aircooled roots are showing. No splitting cases here. You drop the crossmember and remove the oil pan from the block to change bearings. I think it only took him a few hours.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:48 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harry, I did rod and main bearings, inspected all journals, oil pan gasket, front bearings and seals, belts, inspected the oil pump and pressure releif valve. All in two nights after work, lol.

Well, I'm going back a little later after the car is done to get pics of the slide marks. I'm about 90% done with hammering the light metal around the headlight bucket right now, I need to hang the replacement pannels still, 1 hour into it now, about 45 mins to go I hope.

I can handle the car pretty confidently in all conditions, I just need to know whitch of them I'm dealing with. I think the dew slipped in on me, the temp dropped about 15-20 degrees last night about 1-2 hours before the wreck, I'm sure that has something to do with it too.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

WOW! thats pretty crazy. i guess you learn new stuff every day
Old 09-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, also let me know if you need any body stuff I have it all and will be up there on saturday... sorry about the accident, glad your okay!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Hehe.... na, you don't have to stop reminding me about my spin at Lime Rock, I just want to hear the DETAILS of your spin on Rt. 80 so I can dish it right back at ya!
Probably looked very similar to your spin, only with trucks on a highway
It was raining pretty hard (remains of Jeanne) and I was stuck behind a utility body doing ~50 in a 65 in the left lane (Rt. 80 East ~exit 30-31) he didn't move over when he had a chance to let my get by so I assumed he was oblivious to my presense. When an oportunity presented itself, I tried to get into the center lane to go around him but there wasn't enough room so I backed off and fell in behind him again (damn momentum truck). I tried a second time when there was a larger gap in traffic but as my front bumper got to be even with his rear, he started coming into my lane. I'm doing about 70 by now (so as to pass) but I probably shouldn't have gone above 60-65 in the conditions, I hit the horn and steer a bit to the right but the rear of my Ranger decides to stay where it was and then fishtails a little. I tap the gas hoping for a little traction but the rear started to come around, I corrected and thought I had caught it because it felt like it was coming back to where I wanted it. That's when I caught the expansion joint, it came around FAST the other way, next thing I know I'm riding (as oposed to driving) along in the middle lane, next to the truck I had been trying to pass,...BACKWARDS at about 50 mph, the only thing I could think of was "both feet in." As I slowed and the other truck pulled away, I realized I was still rotating a little and was headed into the left lane and beyond, I looked for a guard rail just in time to see it end and hoped that another section wasn't about to begin because it was clear that I was going off. At one point the truck leaned a bit to the left and I thought it was going to roll, fortunately that didn't happen.
Just like your spin, I picked up (or stopped losing) speed when I hit the grass. I came to rest pointed in the direction I wanted to go to get back on the highway. Due to the fact that LRP's tow trucks were not around I was able to get out on my own . The truck had stalled but it restarted instantly and in spite of having very little traction and even less visibility I was able to get back on the road and got out of there.
Once home I discovered that one rear tire has less tread left than I thought down the center, looks like the PO over inflated it for a while because it loks good (70%) at the outsides but its just about at the wear bars up the center. Guess new rear tires are in the future (third set of tires I'll be buying in 6 mos ). I also have sod stuck between the bed and the cab.
I got up early today to put the street tires back on the 944 so I could take it to work, I needed the change.

Last edited by Dave; 09-29-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
A lot of times pavement thats just halfway wet gets very greasy. We had drizzle in the area last night. Usually a full rain washes the road grease away completely.
I totally agree. On the way back from Pensacola a couple of weeks ago I saw two separate incidents of wrecks on the highway immediately after it started raining (when the road was just starting to get wet).

Glad to hear everyone is OK Andy.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, I am glad to hear you are ok.

Hopefully the damage is easily repairable and your insurance rates do not go through the roof!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:44 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I would say that oil/grease on the roadway is a good bet. I grew up in L.A., where this is a big problem because it rains infrequently. When it does rain, it gets very slick as weeks/months of oil float on top of the water. I actually learned about power-on oversteer and balancing a car in my '72 volvo this way when I was 16. It had a well worn set of oversized Riken tires (whatever happened to that brand?) that made sliding easy.

Of course, it didn't take too many storms before I found a corner that was slicker than I'd anticipated and understeered right off onto someone's lawn. Several cars almost did the same while I changed the tire that had blown out when I nailed the curb. A new a-arm, wheel, set of tires, and alignment later, and I was ready for more action. My folks were not impressed.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

man I know the feeling of having your heart broke seeing your baby smashed up Just be glad everyone was ok. I'm really sorry about your loss.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Stig-

Completely off-topic but if you ever change yuor avatar, they should throw you off Rennlist.

Quick Reply: WRECKED GRRRR!