Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replace and mirror trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:46 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Windshield replace and mirror trouble

Got the windshield on my new '87 944 replaced today. Took a few extra days and phone cals than planned.

Called up the Safelite 800 number last weekend for a quote. They said $283 for the windshield. After a few more calls it was clear they were cheapest so I called back to schedule. Before hanging up I confirmed the glass and it turned out they had not quoted the antenna windshield. "Sorry" they said, "We'll give you that windshield for the same price."

So it comes to Tuesday, it's raining so then it's put off till Thursday. The guy shows up then with an invoce for $930. Guess that was the insurance rate. He does hold firm at $470 as that was "what it was worth." My wife refuses the job.

I call back that afternoon and they re-approve the job, this time for $272! Saturday they show up and do the installation for the quoted price. It look great. I like Safelit...except they haven't put the mirror on.

The mirror had fallen off with the base attached when one of the cracks ran right behind it. It was hard to get that round base out and they can't get it on. I go back to my painting to learn that they busted the mounting tab off. THey promise to come back with a new one, we'll see.

I had previously got one off eBy to replace the mirror in my 928 as the plastic backing had cracked. The glass was really cloudy and I didn't install it. (Didn't get my $ back either) Looking it over the housing is sealed around the glass. Must be molded that way. (?) What I do try is popping out the ball from the housing. A bit dicey, but it comes off both mirrors. Gently increasing pressure while torquing the arm down works. Then I forced the good mounting arm into the good glass. Put some packing peanuts under it to brace the glass. Hard to get going, but it pops in.

Run the "new" one out to the 944 and it sgoes on. A bit of wiggling and pushing. Folks have shattered their windshields by tapping them, or so I've heard.

If they come back, I'm going to have them throw the new mirror on the porch for me to install. On the 928.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:15 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

And...

Safelite showed up today to put in a brand new mirror. Case closed.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:52 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar experience where they were incompetent but eventually got me a nice product for a low price. I had an oem sekurit put in for 200 bucks, but I wasted a lot of time fighting them.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:44 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to offer another opinion, I had Safelite put a new windshield in my car in January and they did a fine job. They even called me into the shop to point out that my dash was cracked. I kinda knew that but I realize it's a liability thing.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:11 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Lemme be clear: I'm not unhappy at all.

A bit of hassle, but the windshield fits well, looks good and I got a new mirror to boot. For $272.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:45 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's my Safelite story. Needed a new windshield for the 83. Turned a claim into AAA, they said they would hook up me with Safelite and they would call me for mobile install. Quote was $272 + $50 deductible. They call for appointment. I explained it was an 83 944 with the 3-piece metal trim, the rep checks with their shop tech with 25 years experience and they say "no problem". Safelite shows up on Saturday, I had the car in the garage like they asked. The guy pulls up in his truck, leaves the motor running in the driveway and proceeds to tell my wife he "hates these things because of the metal trim, he works on the car for full 3 minutes tops and says he can't do it and it has to go into the shop and leaves. Needless to say I called AAA and Safelite to cancel their "recommended shop". Gave a call to Porsche dealer, spoke to service manager, he tells me they only send their cars to one place and that's who finally put it in. My safelite experience seems to be the exception.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:22 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first windshield replacement for my 84 (no antenna) was $198......second one after deer hit was $154....these prices are with installation and mirror replacement, too.....two different companies...Diamond Auto Glass and A1 Auto Glass (locals)....
Old 10-12-2004, 04:37 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my glass put in by some place here in SF; they charged me $225 for Sekurit with installation. They gave me the three pieces and said that I could put them back on myself if I wanted. I was more than happy to put the pieces back on myself. A week or two later I was behind a pickup truck belonging to a construction guy on the freeway and a rock fell off his truck and hit my glass, cracking it, again.

Quick Reply: Windshield replace and mirror trouble