Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tires or All Season?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tires or All Season?

For those of you that live in areas where it snows:

I'm thinking about changing my wheels and since I would be increasing the size, the tires as well.

I'm wondering if I should get summer tires for my new wheels and keep the old one's (15 x 7 PD's) and use them for snow tires. Or should I just get all-season tires for my new wheels and sell the old PD's?

I haven't driven the 944 in the snow yet and probably won't need to do it all that much (that's what the AWD Jaguar is for), but it'd be nice to have the option.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Dedicated snows make the car useable in the snow. I thought my $45k S2 had LSD like my $16k RX7, until there was one inch on the ground and I couldnt get up the driveway of the motel i was at in the berkshires.

If you plan on driving in the lousy weather definitely snows. I had a set of Alpin Pilots on my Legend Coupe and was doing better in killington than the SUVs.

I have M2s on the Z28 and as long as i dont push the gas too hard was able to go through about six inches before the road was plowed. My brother couldnt go more then 10 mph in his 944 with 245s on the back that day until we put the Pilots from the legend (on his CCs) on the 944.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 5 winters' worth of 944 driving, and would not even leave the driveway without snow tires.

Stick some 195/60 or 205/60 Blizzaks on your 15x7s and drive with confidence. Look up the actual dimensions ("specs" at tire rack) of the snow tire (not the size) and compare to a summer tire of the same size - the snow tires usually run .5"-1" larger in diameter for a given size. I think my Blizzaks are 195/60, but they might be 205; regardless, they are slightly larger diameter than the 215/60 Bridgestones that used to reside on the wheels. The narrower tread width is actually preferrable in winter, too, as it reduces the chance of the contact patch behaving like a ski and sending the car sideways.

Cheers,
Old 09-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I have M2s on the Z28 and as long as i dont push the gas too hard was able to go through about six inches before the road was plowed.
Six inches? That's not very far!

Seriously, though, the first year or two I had my 83 in the winter, I had all-season Bridgestones on it, and the car would just start sliding and spinning completely randomly and unexpectedly. When you start sliding on the snow and ice in a 944, it almost feels as if the car has no distinct center of gravity; it doesn't pivot around the engine like most cars do - it really just randomly slides and randomly rotates with a random, moving, or seemingly nonexistant axis, and normal corrective measures often don't do anything. With the snow tires, in addition to nice grip, it behaves and is controllable like a normal car. On all seasons, the 944 can do strange things in snow/ice at ridiculously low speeds, like 10mph.

Cheers,
Old 09-24-2004, 05:11 PM
boffam
Advanced

^Tony, do you have WS-50s or LM-22s?? We have LM-22's on the wagon and we were happy with them, even though they are not rated as highly for the worst weather. I am thinking for the S2 with wider tires and no TC WS-50s might be preferable.

To address the original question, it snowed the day when I took off the winter tires and put back on the original all-seasons onto the wagon. The difference in traction was huge. All-seasons are krap in real winter conditions.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:16 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

If you are going to do it go with snows/mud and go narrow. 195mm wide would be good. Then in the spring switch to fatter summer tires on your new taller rims.

All season is just a compromise to sort of work in snow but be ok on dry pavement as far as tread wear and noise. I was involved in a patent suit on all season tread patterns so have more than passing knowledge.

There is one big warning though. A 944 has such low ground clearance that you really have to watch out what you are rolling over. If a plow puts a tall ridge across a cross street you will lift the rear wheels off the ground and forget going anywhere without a push or pull. Even heavy snowfall will compress under the belly, lift you up and stop you dead. About a foot of snow would probably do it. I know 17" will do it for sure from personal experience.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I have the standard, Q-rated with the blocky tread, rated for the deepest snow and worst ice. Not the H-rated or directional. The non-performance ones. I believe those are the WS-50. IIRC they were the only ones available in 195 or 205/60/15.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IceShark
And chunks on the freeway hitting the underside of the car take a little getting used to...
Old 09-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LM22 is the more performance version, this year it is available in the LM25
Old 09-24-2004, 05:38 PM
boffam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tony K
I have the standard, Q-rated with the blocky tread, rated for the deepest snow and worst ice. Not the H-rated or directional. The non-performance ones. I believe those are the WS-50. IIRC they were the only ones available in 195 or 205/60/15.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately get snow tires. I've driven a few winters in different cars in both all-season's and winter tires, and I as well would not leave my house when there is snow on the ground without my winter tires on.

Speaking of which, I got stuck once with my pirelli's on, got about 1" of snow, and I got stuck on a hill in a parking lot....
Old 09-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will be my first "snow" winter. I am looking forward to driving on my Blizzaks. FWIW, you do not want to drive on snow tires once the sun comes back out.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I put Blizzaks on the old 15" wheels and the 944 would climb trees through 4 winters. I have M2's now waiting for my 968's first winter season.

Proper snows make a WORLD of difference. 944's are great winter cars (make heat fast, heated mirrors, etc.).
Old 09-24-2004, 08:59 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i would get high performance tires fr the nw ones, for summer use only.

fall spring and winter use all season tires like H4s's.

if you use snow tires in non sowey conditions they wont last as long..

this way you save the traction on your good ones for perfect weather, and have an all weather tire for ****ty weather and winter when you dont drive as hard (and spring when it rains all the time anyways).

my 2 cents
Old 09-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Since you are in New York - you might want to look for your nearest Nokian dealer. The Hakka 2 is probably the best winter tire you will ever own. The Nokian WR is a good all-round winter tire that can even get you through warm weather driving and then the new RSi is a step up from the Hakka Q which WAS the best studless ice tire available.
Warning: do not consider an "all-season" tire. They are good at absolutely nothing. Get a good set of performance tires for warm weather and a good set of winter tires for when it is cold.
You should go with the smallest wheel you can get. If 15 x 7 is what you have - so be it. A 195 or 205 section width and 65 to 60 (respectively) aspect ratio should work well. Blizzaks are good too - but since I am a Nokian dealer, and I have raced on both - I do know of what I speak.

Visit: www.nokiantires.com for more info.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires or All Season?