Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tires or All Season?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott, it depends on the conditions in your area. Both the Blizzak and the Nokian have their plusses. You might be surpised who owns a substantial portion of Nokian Tire. If you have a mixture of ice and snow I would choose the Blizzak (amazing on ice, I have driven it around pro hockey rinks to prove it!) if you only had snow but a whole lot of it the Nokian is a damn good tire. Dont think you can go wrong with either.

Glad they make the Blizzak in a 255/35R18 though.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Boy, I don't know about the fast wear on the snows. I bought the Blizzaks for my 944 used (had 2 seasons on them already), drove them everywhere (my cars are daily drivers) for about 4 months x 4 years... They got sold with the car and will likely last another 2 years. If you are kind to them (and you'll have to be, they are kinda squishy), they seem to last a number of seasons. I also ran a half-track/half-street alignment, think it was about 1.8/1.2 negative camber front/rear.

I drove that car securely on roads that were hard to walk on. Snows are the hot ticket. Think mine were something like 215/65/15 on the phonedials, gave me a bit more ground clearance for the winter to boot.

A key issue with max performance tires is their inability to grip at low temps. Sure, it's nice to have grip in ice and snow... but I was always amazed how quickly those grippy tires turned into hockey pucks when the temp dropped below about 38 degrees.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Dave in the warm weather snow tires turn to crap quickly, the sidewalls and tread is very soft and has a tendancy to not respond well on dry, warm pavement.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:19 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

For whatever it's worth, I have ZR-rated anti-snow tires on my Jetta when it's not snowing, and will swap some el-cheapo Semperit snow tires on whenever the forecast calls for snow. Seriously... I will swap wheels several times over a week. It takes about 20 minutes (or one beer) and leaves me with the best of both worlds. I'm not sure if this helps you, but if you can do that, I'd recommend it.

BB.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Since you are in New York - you might want to look for your nearest Nokian dealer. The Hakka 2 is probably the best winter tire you will ever own. The Nokian WR is a good all-round winter tire that can even get you through warm weather driving and then the new RSi is a step up from the Hakka Q which WAS the best studless ice tire available.
Warning: do not consider an "all-season" tire. They are good at absolutely nothing. Get a good set of performance tires for warm weather and a good set of winter tires for when it is cold.
You should go with the smallest wheel you can get. If 15 x 7 is what you have - so be it. A 195 or 205 section width and 65 to 60 (respectively) aspect ratio should work well. Blizzaks are good too - but since I am a Nokian dealer, and I have raced on both - I do know of what I speak.

Visit: www.nokiantires.com for more info.
Better watch what you say before someone suggests a group snow tire buy

I bought a set of Caddy rims and a set of michelin arctic alpins off ebay for the aurora. the factory michelins were great when the car had 10k and i drove home from the hospital in a blizzard when the baby was born. but with 22k on the tires and tire rack getting 175 a pop i figured i would preserve them with snows.

its amazing what deals you get on snows in august.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Scott, it depends on the conditions in your area. Both the Blizzak and the Nokian have their plusses. You might be surpised who owns a substantial portion of Nokian Tire. If you have a mixture of ice and snow I would choose the Blizzak (amazing on ice, I have driven it around pro hockey rinks to prove it!) if you only had snow but a whole lot of it the Nokian is a damn good tire. Dont think you can go wrong with either.

Glad they make the Blizzak in a 255/35R18 though.
Matt - no question about it. Where you live does have a huge impact on what will work best. I do know there are other parties in the Nokian family. Avon/Cooper for example, are specifically involved with the Vatiiva line of tires. I know - can't remember - the other connection. (It will come to me in the next few hours, no doubt...)

Not to downplay your experience with Blizzaks on ice rinks - but I do have a fair amount of ice racing experience and I have competed in the Sno*Drift (Club) Rally for several years. There is no question, the Blizzak is a great tire. However, it is my experience, that the Hakka Q is slightly better on ice. Now that the Hakka Q is being discontinued, the new heir is the RSi. Though I do not yet have a set of RSis and, obviously, not yet raced on them, I can't speak from direct experience. I can tell you that I have the utmost confidence and belief in Hakka (Nokian) tires and have used them for many years. When the opportunity came up to offer them (exclusively, I might add) to my friends and fellow competitors - I was elated.

Attached are a few shots from us at this years Sno*Drift. We ran the same four Hakka Qs through the whole rally. Last year (2003) we used Blizzaks. Our results were good both times - but I had more confidence in the Hakkas and we did not need to change a single tire the whole rally. Had we entered the "Pro" version of Sno*Drift (instead of the Club version - we would have placed 12th overall and 2nd in PGT). As it was, we placed very well in the two Club Rallies (Sno* and Drift). Be aware that this rally is run on a surface that is primarily ice. It should more appropriately be named Ice*Flow.
Attached Images    
Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Scott, that makes me jealous. I want to play!

One nice thing about the snow tires was when I started passing Jeeps. Not that I normally drive that fast in the snow. I tend to be very conservative. But I had to do it so that I could look at them and say "Trail-rate this, mothaf#$*ers!"

BB.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Scott, that makes me jealous. I want to play!
It's nothing any outrageously rich (or sick - like me) individual can't get into. Just bend over and open your wallet.

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
One nice thing about the snow tires was when I started passing Jeeps. Not that I normally drive that fast in the snow. I tend to be very conservative. But I had to do it so that I could look at them and say "Trail-rate this, mothaf#$*ers!"

BB.

Nice. I'll drink to that...

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 09-25-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Scott you have PM
Old 09-25-2004, 12:14 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
It's nothing any outrageously rich (or sick - like me) individual can't get into. Just bend over and open your wallet.
I'm already in that position. I own a Porsche, remember?

BB.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven through 6 winters in mine. I run 195/65 15 Eagle LS's (3rd set), and have had little trouble (5 winters in Chicago) Skinnier tires (altho they dont look fat and sweet) will get you through. I dont run snow tires, but rumor has it I drive like your grandma.

The 50/50 balance is very nice and very controllable. the understeer already present wil assist you unless you push hard -remember Newton's laws of physics..

Scott- I'm a huge fan of road rallye- I love to drive full bore in the snow! (Of course in a controlled situation.)

Quick Reply: Snow Tires or All Season?