Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat day,,here's some new ones

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:25 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat day,,here's some new ones

OK I got my new (to me) Sport Seats from the upholstery shop yesterday and installed them last night. I have the guy delete the piping on the edges. He does a flat seam, looks great, and I think it wears a lot better as you're not hitting or catching on the piping every time you get in and out. They are done in all vinyl. Perforated in the center, solid on the back, side and bolsters.

Looks and feels REAL nice......

Something interesting on the seats though. They had a set of aluminum spacers on the drivers side, between the seat and the rail. There is a photo of it below. I've never seen spacers like this before. The seats came out of a Euro car, so maybe that's it??? Does not look homemade, very machined look.

So I have and old set of standard black ones to get rid of. Typical stuff, drivers side ripped, passenager side good. Make me an offer,or if you want pics email me.

Anyhow, here are the new ones installed. God I love those bolsters....

Old 09-23-2004, 05:33 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Do you mind if I ask how much that runs? I've considered either recovering my seats or replacing them. I don't have Sport Seats though.....
Old 09-23-2004, 05:33 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow those look really nice! It must be seat week on Rennlist. I just installed a set of Corbeau TRS seats in mine and it feels like a brand new car.

I've never seen spacers like that either. Maybe a PO worked at a machine shop.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:39 PM
dave120
Drifting

My dad made some spacers to raise the seats in the S2 up a little bit....though I pulled them out pretty soon after I bought the car from him I like sitting low. They were bars the length of the rail that sat between the rail and the floor though...the ones in the pics look a lot different than any I've seen before.

Nice looking seats!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:41 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Do you mind if I ask how much that runs?
The Seats cost 125.00 each at the salvage yard. The passenger side looked like it had never been sat in...to bad it was dark brown. T'was a shame to have to take off perfectly good leather.

I have a old hispanic guy here in Houston do the upholstery work. He charges me 200.00 per seat. That includes all of the material, vinyl, replacing bad worn foam and the labor. This is the second set he's done for me. Also did a cassette/console lid on the red car in leather for 20.00

So, all totaled up>>>>>650.00 for 2 brand new, the way I want them, Recarro Sport Seats.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:45 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

$200 per seat is an excellent price. With all the 944's in need of reupholstering here on Rennlist, we could keep him busy for years.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944pete
It must be seat week on Rennlist.
Must be, I'm putting a pair of Evo2's in tonight.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I need to recover or replace the seats in my car. I have not decided whether to recover in leather or vinyl. Or buy some good seats and re-dye them. I would like to find a sport seat for the drivers side to hold me in.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:07 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goingboeing737
I have a old hispanic guy here in Houston do the upholstery work. He charges me 200.00 per seat. That includes all of the material, vinyl, replacing bad worn foam and the labor. This is the second set he's done for me. Also did a cassette/console lid on the red car in leather for 20.00

Beats the prices I've been quoted. Damn.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

I have not decided whether to recover in leather or vinyl
Price the difference between the two, you will decide pretty quick.

I don't know what kind of vinyl he uses, but it is as soft and supple as leather. I think it must be like the stuff on the Rennbay recover kits. If I felt I could do a half *** job (OK a little better than that...)I would probably try one of Travis's kits.

I know when I think "vinyl" I think of hard, glossy, kitchen seat kinda stuff. This stuff is perforated just like the OEM leather and works very well in this application.

It's funny you mentioned dying. The first set I had done were tan. I took him the back seat, we spent about an hour looking at swatches to match it. Finally pick one. He does the seats. I pick them up, look great. Take them home put them in the car. THEY DON"T MATCH THE REAR SEAT.... Take them out, take out the rear seat. Take it all back to him. We look at the swatch. Swatch matches the rear seat, swatch matches the new seats...??? Yeah, a 3 X 3 inch swatch matches, but when you do the whole seat, it's about 2 shades off. So, he ended up dying the whole interior. New Sport seats that he had JUST upholstered, rear seat (both pieces) door panels, arm rest and the little trim around the carpeted storage cubby. I was very leary of spray dying the perforated seats, thinking it's going to "fill in" all of the little holes. He assured me "it will be fine my friend" He used SEM dye. Sprayed from a paint gun. Damm if it did not turn out beautiful !!!! SEM Dye is great stuff, does not rub off, wear off or come off with lighter fluid ( I tried, in a inconspicuous spot) He charged me 100.00 to dye all of it....

So, if you can find a good set, I would be a viable option.

With all the 944's in need of reupholstering here on Rennlist, we could keep him busy for years.
Yeah, it's too bad most of the guys here in Houston already have good interiors. I've thought about hoarding center console lids and having him redo them and them selling them on ebay.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of business should I be looking for if I want to get a quote to have this done for my car? Under what heading in the phone book?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:40 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Automobile Upholstery.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:43 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

I would look under Automotive Upholstery Repair or, Marine Upholstery or, Convertible top repair, as they also do a lot of interior work.

You might call a couple of car dealers and find out who they use when one of their guys rips a seat with a screwdriver.....OUCH..

You might also go through SEM Products and locate a dealer near you.

SEM Products Homepage

Good luck
Old 09-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it's "seat week", I'm going to plug my two FREE beige leather, driver's seat bottom torn, 83 standard seats. No power anything for all you weight-reducing folk! FREE FREE FREE HURRY HURRY HURRY Local pickup only, in Cleveland, OH.

Cheers,
Old 09-23-2004, 07:15 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 944pete
Wow those look really nice! It must be seat week on Rennlist. I just installed a set of Corbeau TRS seats in mine and it feels like a brand new car.
WTF?? Pics pics???

I thought you were done spending money?????

Quick Reply: Seat day,,here's some new ones