Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e-ram electric supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigal13
hi

after reading some of the threads i think due to the cost and how little extra bhp you gain i will go for a wet nitrous kit instead

should be more fun

so just need to decide what make of nos kit to get and what size of nozzles to put in think a 50 bhp will be alright to start with anyway
Nitrous on a 15+ year old car with probably over 100k miles isn't the best idea.

A better use of your resources would be to bring the car up to PERFECT stock specs. Then do a port & polish on the head. Open the exhaust and intake up a little. Much more reliable, and the power gains are more stable.

As for the e-supercharger - IMHO: snake oil.

'Nuff said.
-Z.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 AM
bigal13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Nitrous on a 15+ year old car with probably over 100k miles isn't the best idea.

A better use of your resources would be to bring the car up to PERFECT stock specs. Then do a port & polish on the head. Open the exhaust and intake up a little. Much more reliable, and the power gains are more stable.

As for the e-supercharger - IMHO: snake oil.

'Nuff said.
-Z.

hi

the engine is just rebuilt after timing chain went POP and took every moving part in the engine with it

i just want to go a bit faster over the 1/4 mile

in day to day running there is more than enough power
Old 09-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bigal13
i just want to go a bit faster over the 1/4 mile

in day to day running there is more than enough power
That is why Predator put a worked Chevy V8 in his 944 and I took the easy/lazy mans way out and bought a Chevy body and drivetrain to wrap the worked Chevy V8 in. No transmission problems or potential snake oil issues that way. Plus I have the 944 for when I want it.

It is like being married to the perfect woman with permission to cheat.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:07 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Serge944
Or sell the n/a and buy a 951. It's kind of ironic when people say "i love my car, i dont want to sell it," while at the same time, not 'loving' the car for what it is: slow.
hi

its simple i dont have the funds to get a turbo version and my car is in good condition

it might be slow but its still my car
Old 09-24-2004, 12:10 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom R.
That is why Predator put a worked Chevy V8 in his 944 and I took the easy/lazy mans way out and bought a Chevy body and drivetrain to wrap the worked Chevy V8 in. No transmission problems or potential snake oil issues that way. Plus I have the 944 for when I want it.

It is like being married to the perfect woman with permission to cheat.
hi

i like the idea of a V8 but its not going to be easy to get a Chevy in the UK

how about a V8 from a RANGE ROVER i can get one of them easy enough
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

hi

if you think your 944 is slow, check the driver first

then the car.

-Mike-
Old 09-24-2004, 01:32 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by ERAU-944
hi

then the car.

-Mike-
hi

lol

as i said its fine for day to day driving but i would like to get a better time over 1/4 mile
my best time at the moment is

reaction-------0.688
60 foot--------2.509
top speed-----83.8 mph
time-----------16.409

so not to slow for a 18 year old car
Old 09-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bigal:
If you're going to do the 1/4 mile regularly with your 944, better stock up on CV-joints for the rear of your car! Our rear independant suspensions aren't designed to handle the harsh launches that are required in drag racing. Get a solid-rear axle car like a Mustang 5.0 and you can play all day with that pony without worries of going back and picking up pieces of your rear axle after a run!

Using a 944 to drag race is like using a chain-saw to cut your lawn: sure a chain saw will do the job, but not too effectively!

-Z-man.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:26 PM
JediAgent
Racer

bigal,
Nitrous is easy enough to make a kit for these cars, with some of the proper guidance.
http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/ can help with knowing the proper ratios, what to buy, and how to build it safe. On a 18 year old car I would recommend starting with a 20hp shot and working your way up by 5hp each time, remember the shot size is dependant on the bore of the jets, which you can make yourself if you have a drill press, or you can buy cheap from a good autoparts store. The most expensive thing you have to purchase is a bottle, and eventually a remote bottle opener and bottle warmer. The hardest thing to buy is a 12v max 3600psi power=open solenoid. Be sure to have a good A/F ratio meter.

EDIT
I have yet to build one for the 944, so don't assume i did. I have built a couple for other cars, and can see making a quality kit that is very safe for a 944, but i agree with Z-man. I would never launch with a 944, im not that rich or that willing to let my car go while it gets repaired! That reason and the weakiness of an NA trans are the only reason i've yet to nitrous mine.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ERAU-944
hi

then the car.

-Mike-

"Jolly worth every penny, I think. " -Jim 944S

(x) re-vote to end 99% of pissing matches by putting a ban on Tom R. - HE'S STILL A TROLL
-
Mike your signature is offensive.

I thought you would get tired of your childish prank by now.

Since you have not, I sent a PM to Pete as moderator with a cc to you asking Pete to intervene. Maybe it will be you who gets banned.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Z
The inherent weakness of an IRS and bland styling are reasons the GTO is a sales flop.

They put the pushrod V8 in the car instead of the Northstar to get the straight line crowd, which turned off the BMW import crowd. But, the IRS turns off the straight line crowd. Guess that conundrum will make a used one affordable for me that much sooner.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:03 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by JediAgent
bigal,
Nitrous is easy enough to make a kit for these cars, with some of the proper guidance.
http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/ can help with knowing the proper ratios, what to buy, and how to build it safe. On a 18 year old car I would recommend starting with a 20hp shot and working your way up by 5hp each time, remember the shot size is dependant on the bore of the jets, which you can make yourself if you have a drill press, or you can buy cheap from a good autoparts store. The most expensive thing you have to purchase is a bottle, and eventually a remote bottle opener and bottle warmer. The hardest thing to buy is a 12v max 3600psi power=open solenoid. Be sure to have a good A/F ratio meter.

EDIT
I have yet to build one for the 944, so don't assume i did. I have built a couple for other cars, and can see making a quality kit that is very safe for a 944, but i agree with Z-man. I would never launch with a 944, I'm not that rich or that willing to let my car go while it gets repaired! That reason and the weakiness of an NA trans are the only reason i've yet to nitrous mine.
hi

i am not able to make the jets but you can get some on e-bay for a reasonable price
also i think given enough time i can get every part i need to make up a kit from there as well and it will be cheaper than getting one of these premade kits which are selling for £589(kit) or £800(fitted) here in Scotland thats for a NX Nitrous Express

when you see what is involved in fitting the system it fairly easy the only thing i am not to sure about is how to measure the correct percentage with a A/F ratio meter any info on that would be appreciated
Old 09-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 494 Posts

Bigal13-You should try and get your car on the track not the 1/4 mile one but the regular one, I think youll be much more happy with the performance. It takes alot of work to get a 944 to do well 1/4 mile wise. The UK has a number of tracks if I remember correctly. Good luck either way, I just dont think Mr.P designed these cars for the 1/4 mile tracks.-Chris

Lay off Tom R.......everyone is entitled to opinions, right or wrong. He's a real nice guy in person(TomR).

Last edited by Graufuchs; 09-24-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris,
He might be the nicest guy in person, after a month of that garbage in his signature I don't care to confirm.

I'm tired of personal attacks, period. His garbage doesn't belong in a post, and doesn't belong in a signature. I will give him the opportunity to read the PM I sent Pete and cc'd him.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:31 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by fty
Bigal13-You should try and get your car on the track not the 1/4 mile one but the regular one, I think youll be much more happy with the performance. It takes alot of work to get a 944 to do well 1/4 mile wise. The UK has a number of tracks if I remember correctly. Good luck either way, I just dont think Mr.P designed these cars for the 1/4 mile tracks.-Chris

Lay off Tom R.everyone is entitled to opinions, right or wrong. He's a real nice guy in person.

hi

there is a track i can use but the nearest one is a 4 hour round trip also they want £50 for 4 hours so as you can see thats going to be about £100+ in total and the 1/4 mile strip is only 20 mins away and £5 for the day

i know what your saying as i have tried it and it was great

Quick Reply: e-ram electric supercharger