Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a bad bad urge, and I need a track car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 01:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
It seems that the 944 Spec in Arizona is pretty hot. I'm really looking forward to moving there when I finish school since most friends I know from PCA have relocated to Phoenix and the outskirts around there

Andy

Plus Az is MUCH cheaper than Ca.. Means more money to spend on racing
Old 09-22-2004, 09:53 PM
'88-924S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M758- I'm curious, how would my '88-924S fit in as far as classes go? I'd imagine they'd run in the 944 crowd of course, but would be preferable because of the combination of high compression engine and lighter weight body. I'm just curious, one day I hope to maybe run the 924S when I get another daily driver Porsche.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Originally Posted by M758
Wheels and tires
Only 15x7 phone dials or 15x7 cookie cutter are legal (no fuchs)
I understand everything but that.
I LOVE my fuchs!

BTW, where in Socal do they run? This may be a viable option next year when when i get another daily driver Porsche. Seems to be a pretty inexpensive way to race.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:27 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by '88-924S
M758- I'm curious, how would my '88-924S fit in as far as classes go? I'd imagine they'd run in the 944 crowd of course, but would be preferable because of the combination of high compression engine and lighter weight body. I'm just curious, one day I hope to maybe run the 924S when I get another daily driver Porsche.
Simple they fit in just like a 944. Same rules and same min weight.

Jedi...
Reason for no fuchs is simply cost. These are superior wheels and late cars can't use them most early cars did not have them. So they provide an advantage that most folks can't get unless they spend big money. So to keep things equal well spec out only the cheaper wheels. Phone dials and cookie cutters run typically about $200 per set of 4 and there is pretty large supply since most street guys don't like them. Better for us since most racers have at least two sets of wheels. I in fact have 3 sets. This also the reason we spec toyo's. These are not the fastest tire, but are pretty darn good over their long life thus lowering the cost of racing. Sure Hoosiers are faster, but they cost alot more don't last as long. Anyone with a set will be faster. Have an open tire rule and every will be forced to run the fastest tire around and spend lots of money looking them. Spec out a solid long lasting tire and we can spend more money on going to more races.

They run with both NASA and the POC.
NASA So cal typical runs at Willow Springs (big track) or Buttonwillow. POC runs at Willow Big track for Racing & Streets for non-racing timed events with 944-spec class, and various other tracks too.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:13 PM
JediAgent
Racer

I noticed several events in '04 took place at california speedway. I could very easily go to those events, however i don't know where the Willow Springs and Buttonwillow tracks are.

I moreorless knew the reason for the wheel and tire regulation for fuchs and toyo's - it just hurts since i am one of the lucky few to have fuchs as a factory option on my car. It is hard to see such a great factory wheel not allowed in regulation even though it came stock on some of these cars. ESP since i have a beautiful 7/8J set - any idea what they are worth? Might help recoup some of the costs of making this car a full time racer.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:21 PM
M758
Race Director

Yeah.. forgot about California Speedway. Usally that place it limited to 1-2 events due to it's high rental cost.

Willow Springs is Near Lancaster/Palmdale in the desert. Buttonwillow I believe is near bakersfield I think. Never been there. There are few guys that do drive their race cars to the track and back. Tim Comeau So Cal series director and 2003 Champion, and 2004 points leader drives his from San Diego quite often. Not sure were you are in so-cal, but San Diego PCA has pretty nice autocross program and class for 944-spec.

Not sure what the fuchs are worth, but I'd be it more than the $200 for set of cookie cutters.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:32 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Joe.. I am finally getting around to getting my car (the 83) ready for the Spec series. I have recently gutted the interior, minus the dashboard (the rains in December helped out on that decision). I wanted to say that I appreciate your help and in getting the word out via here at RL and especially the info provided on your site. It's great to find that there are enthusiasts who are focused on the competitive spirit of the 924/944 cars. Presently, I have a long way to go with appropriating equipment and even getting NASA certification done, however I look forward to being able to better learn the performance fundamentals of my pcar in a racing environment, in addition to having fun at the same time. I am just glad that I live in area where it's possible to do this.
Thanks!
Deni
Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Yeah i meet a nice lady the other day at california speedway that races her 944 in the San Diego PCA region. She says it worth getting into bc of the ppl in the area and the ease of racing with them in general. I am in LA county 20 miles west of California Speedway. I don't know if i'd want to drive a dedicated race car very far to meets, but god knows im not gonna buy a truck and trailer. So maybe I will drive the 944 there and back. If it ever breaks down ill just call AAA and hope i can fix it up nice before the next meet.

What would it take for me to sign up for the next season with either the San Diego guys or a region closer to me?

EDIT
BTW, Which would you recommend Phone Dials or Cookie Cutters?
Old 09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Deni, Glad to see another gettign geared-up. Get all the track time you can it will pay dividends when start racing. Car prep is not crutial. You do need the safety gear to racing, but not all the go fast suspenison to have fun. My advice is to get the cage and safety gear in the car and DE the snot out of it until you are being held up my 951's and most 911's. Then you are ready for racing!

Jedi,
Signing up is really pretty easy. Drop by our http://nasaforum.com area and and we can get into all kind of details.

Sigining up involve showing interest and getting in touch with Tim Comeau in So-cal. He can get you squared away with all the things you need to do. If you are 100% certain you want to do this you can go pick a number off of my lisiting. Let me and Tim know. He knows where to get our numberboards done and I can secure the # for you. Then prep the car per rules and get track time and a racing licese. Then race.

If you are not sure and really this something you don't just "jump" into. Go to the next 944-spec event. Either NASA, POC or a San Deigo Autocross. Best thing is to check on the NASAforums list to see who is going to what. Drop by the 944 area and talk to a few drivers. I do know that POC is planning a big event for the 944 (they call it GSR class) at their Short track event a Streets of Willow. Any way talk to them and see if it is right for you.

One thing that you want to be aware of is that you will want plenty of track experinece before you start racing. Most NASA and POC event have street car sessions as well as racing so you can drive in the street car groups and still hang with racers. Then go for you Competition license when you are ready for it.

When it comes to Phone dials or cookie cutters... I have heard the cookies are a bit lighter, but have no proof. There does not seem to be enough difference in the weight (maybe 1 lb) to have any difference on the track.

PS.. nice thing about the 944-spec group is that for the most part we help each other out at the track. So you never do a 944-spec race alone. Another competitor is always there to help you out especially with little mechanical stuff. Technical information also tends to flow pretty good in that there are few secrets out there. Most racer really help the new guys since we are all trying to build the class. The goal 20-30 car 944 fields all tighly packed together in speed. Sure each guy wants to win, but having a good tight race that you can talk about over dinner together is what 944-spec racing is about.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ilike: do you have any track experience yet? If not, I suggest that you start attending DE's and such - get some non-competitive track driving under your belt. That way, when you start to setup your car, you'll be able to taylor the car to YOUR liking: often too many people build a dedicated race car, and find that their mods not only bump them into a class they are not competive in, but also they have a car that doesn't suit their driving style.

Take a bone stock 944 (with street tires) out there, and have some fun! After a season or TWO of this, you will have a better idea of where to go.

My $0.42,
-Z-man.

Quick Reply: I have a bad bad urge, and I need a track car...