Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evil-bay? I think not!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 05:08 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

ebay is definitly buyer beware. you can find good stuff, but if someone says somthing that throws any flags up that they dont know what they are talking about or that just seems a little sneakey.. no matter how interested i might be, i stay away

for example i was farthing around looking for core motors.. maybe as a back up incase there are some nasty things going on in mine which i will be rebuilding soon (it would be nice to have a back up core anyways if mine is ok, so i can build a back up motor or even a hotter motor in a few years when i get more money)

anyways i saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...922509210&rd=1

912 ENGINE THAT IS MOSTLY COMPLETE. MOTOR IS STUCK. TO BE DETERMINED shipping and handling, insurance xtra. This is a fixed amount that applies if you live in Calif or NY or anywhere in the continental US. No pickups, all items must be shipped. U.S. POSTAL MONEY ORDER ONLY, due no later then 7 days after close of auction. All International shipping available at an additional cost. Guaranteed original, unless otherwise stated. This is an auction, all sales are final. Please do not use the Ebay check-out system. I will send my own 'end -of auction' notice. If you do not agree with these terms, please do not bid on the item. Thanks and Happy Bidding
anyways i see small clues like that and all i can think is

Old 09-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's good and bad to be had there. I've gotten good deals but also been jerked around. Their fee structure sucks; paypal is absolutely HORRIBLE - you have to wait 3-5 days to transfer electronic funds from your paypal "account" to your bank account (WTF? I might as well deposit a check - takes the same amount of time and it DOESN'T cost me a fee!) It could be a lot better. Then again, I've been ripped off here on Rennlist too, so I guess it's "let the buyer beware" no matter where you go.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:51 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, that's my "I smell poopie" sign from a long time ago! Thanks for saving it and resurrecting it Harry! LOL!

I agree with Peckster. Ebay is basically just a big online market place that is representative of the entire world. There are going to be scammers. It's gonna be that way with any free market system, no matter how hard you try to keep the bad people out.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck with ebay. On average, I save about $200 a semester by buying my text books through ebay and half.com. My brother was also able to save a couple of hundred dollars by buying his motorcycle through ebay. Although you can never protect yourself 100% from scammers, you can drastically reduce your chances of getting scammed by watching out for short auctions, suspicious feedback, and poor descriptions/photos.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but I think the people on Rennlist are just more skeptical than your average Joe. That's not good or bad, just a fact. If you'd like proof, just post a topic like:

"I just found a bargain on a 1989 951 with 36k miles for $8500!"

Then go on to explain how it belonged to a doctor in Arizona and was impeccibly maintained and you are totally comfortable that it is perfect, so you are going to buy it. You'll have trouble counting all the posts telling you how it is a scam and they wouldn't pay half that for the car and it probably has a salvage title (that Carfax can be false) and yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't know if this board is full of people who have been scammed over and over again or what, but there is definately an abundance of skeptics here. I've bought several cars on Ebay and was thrilled with all but 1 ( a '68 Camaro with a bit more bondo in the doors than I expected. I was able to have fun with it, though and a local guy bought it from me for the same amount I paid for it!). I even bought a 1992 C4 with 55k miles for $30k sight unseen from 12 hours away and it got here perfect and was probably the nicest Porsche I've ever owned (condition-wise). I've sold a '91 C4 cab with 101k for $21,500 and that was a very nice car, that guy got a good deal. What I'm saying is, the good/bad guy ratio on Ebay is no different than the goo/bad guy ratio on Trader, Cars.com, or anywhere else in the world (South Africa and Denmark excluded). If you go in with blinders on, you might get scammed, but if you use your brain a little, you'll probably come out fine. Caveat Emptor.

Quick Reply: Evil-bay? I think not!