Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UGENT! HELP! MINOR FLOOD

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:31 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry UGENT! HELP! MINOR FLOOD

Okay.. so as luck would have it for me, whenever something can go wrong, it does.

So friday night there was a pretty good amount of rain, nothing I would normally worry about. I parked by car next to my friends here at school (Fairfield, CT) .. and didnt think twice about it .. it was a pretty good spot (location-wise). Well.. we parked at the end of the lot which was slanted like / (less steep). A drain was located right behind my friends car (he was in the end spot, i was one over). So.. the rain came.. and I guess the drain didnt work very well. My friend got a call from Security in the morning saying that his car was parked in a flooded area and that he should go make sure his car was alright. There were 3 inches of water sitting on the floor of his car. My phone rang that morning too.....

I was better off than he was, I had about an inch of water in the foot area of the back seats, but all the rugs were SOAKED. The water raised up to about 6-8 in above the bottom seal of my door, so i assume thats where it got in from since the windows and roof were closed and the seats were dry.

I immediatly started scooping water out, and got as much as I could. I took it to a local place to get it cleaned up, but im not sure how good of a job the guy did. It was a very sketchy place. He said he put a mold preventer down all over the rugs, cleaned them and detailed everything (leather treatment and such). It cost $100. Im still not sure if he did a good job or not. He decided to pull the back carpet up to get the water out from under it and pull the insulation up cause it was soaked.

My main worries are under the seats.. he didnt remove them and theyre still soaked, much worse than the rest of the car. Also, I dont know if itll just dry up over time or if I need to take it to a porsche place and have them replace the carpeting. I have the windows open and roof off to let it dry, but its doing it very slowly.

So.. HELP! what should i do??? Ive never had a problem like this happen before, and as luck would have it of all the cars on campus only my friends car and mine were in areas that flooded. Any input is much appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 05:36 PM
IMB951
Drifting

try running a dehumidifier in your car overnight, with the windows cracked...
also, i'd at the very least get a shop vac under those seats, because any standing water anywhere could be a problem.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:37 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I would just remove the seats and pull that carpet up too, let it dry and put it back together.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Open all the windows and put in an electric heater with a fan.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Get a shop vac, go slow and repeat until it is as dry as you can get it. If the padding under is really damp you might have to take the carpet out and let it dry. It isn't that hard to just remove the carpet to let it dry. That way you know no mold or anything will form. If you only use the shop vac/wet vac, make sure you REALLY go over it well. Then before you get it all the way dry, clean the carpet with a shampoo lightly then get the rest of it.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Scott,
My brother has the two other things he promised you.

Just keep the car in the sun with the windows and hatch open for a few days. take the mats out and put them in the hatch to dry. if you can get hold of a wet dry vacuum try to vac up as much as you can.

check your oil, make sure the car is not overfilled. if it is then water got into the motor from the bottom. remember oil floats in water. Dont worry. the next few sunny days should dry everything out.

Oh, my brother is probably picking up another 944 tonight. long story. now he is bitching to me that he sold the car with the Momo steering wheel! wanna sell the steering wheel back to him? I have the original in my garage - forgot to give it to you. Pick it up when you come home thanksgiving, or next summer, or...
Old 09-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very unfortunate, but don't worry too much about carpets - they'll dry out in a few days. You can use Febreeze to kill the odors. Flodded floors are quite common for 20 years old cars because of imperfect seals.
I would be more worried if water reach the level of DME, or flooded wheel bearings, etc, but if you drove the car, than everything should be OK.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Detailer trick - Shop vac as much water out as possible. Make sure you have two keys and park the car in a safe place where you can hear it running (Not in a garage). Roll the windows down about 1/2 inch, start the car, turn the heat and blower on full. Lock the car while it is running and let it sit there for a few hours. The carpet will dry out and the moisture goes out the slightly rolled down windows.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:50 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

How tough are the seats to remove? and i dont have access to a wet/dry vac here.. im at school. i payed a guy to do all that and he did a so-so job .. but im not really happy with it.

Should I pull the seats out and lift the entire carpet? that sounds like a hell of a job to me.. but ive never tried so i dont know.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:00 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

seats are cake. they're just 6 allen bolts (2 in the front, 4 in the back of each seat). don't forget to pull the harnesses which are under the middle of each seat. there's enough slack in the wire to tilt the seat back to undo the harnesses.

btw, i'm on the island too and i like working on cars so if you'd like some help just shoot me a pm
Old 09-20-2004, 09:33 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

dualblade.. if youd be around to help that would be great.. im up in Fairfield, CT right now at school.. but im planning on bringing the car home this saturday to try to get the seats up and make sure everything is dry or drying properly.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep seats are really easy to remove. good luck buddy
Old 09-20-2004, 10:34 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
dualblade.. if youd be around to help that would be great.. im up in Fairfield, CT right now at school.. but im planning on bringing the car home this saturday to try to get the seats up and make sure everything is dry or drying properly.
i actually went to school in fairfield for a bit myself. ended up leaving but i spent a year and a half there. you do know you're like 10 minutes from a porsche dismantler, right? just in case, the place is called dc automotive in bridgeport and the guy who runs it (rob) is a great guy. they are a sponsor of the forum
Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Scott,
I have a wet dry vac. if it is nice this weekend come by to pick up the two pieces and we will get the thing dried. I may go to the meet in Pennington NJ on sunday, but should be around saturday. i will check with jill later.

Andrew, he has an 84, no electric seats.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Tom.. alright that sounds good. I just wanna get this thing cleaned back up cause this was something i really didnt need right now. Just one of those times where i find out how much stress it takes til i break.

Quick Reply: UGENT! HELP! MINOR FLOOD