Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UGENT! HELP! MINOR FLOOD

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004 | 10:01 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Scott,

I just realized saturday is a big holiday. you are welcome to come over and use the vac, but I shouldnt be detailing/cleaning a car this saturday.

first let it air out. the weather for the rest of the week should dry things out. just grab a textbook and a chair, park the car in the sun with everything open and go in the shade and study.

If it dries up and you stay up at school dont worry. dont make an extra trip just for this if avoidable.

Also, Ray asked me to remind you that you better and he stressed better change the tires before the first snowfall. when you come home for thanksgiving swap the tires for the snows. your neighbor can help you do it in about a half hour total. did i give you a bag full of lug nuts? i dont think so. remind me to give them to you when i give you the other things.

Last edited by Tom R.; 09-21-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2004 | 01:55 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jason952
I would just remove the seats and pull that carpet up too, let it dry and put it back together.
That's the only way I would be confident that it's dry.

Also be sure to check the sides of the hatch, behind both wheels and in the spare area. I've found water in there, but there's a drain plug on both sides to let it out.
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
That's the only way I would be confident that it's dry.
I disagree, dry is dry. if the car is left open and air circulates everything will dry out.

Jay's suggestion to open the windows a bit and let the heat blow is having the motor circulate the air. The air is crisp and dry this week.

Just open everything up for a few hours a day. He already paid to have the major stuff vacuumed out. I dont think the seats have to be removed yet.

I had a minor flood in my RX7 once when the drain plug clogged. I took the top down and let it sit in front of my house for a day. felt under the seats and all was dry. Not a trace. Convertibles are left out with the top down a lot and the seats are not removed each time.
Old 09-21-2004 | 06:52 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

just curious if anyone else has antyhing to throw in. (so basically a bump)
Old 09-21-2004 | 09:23 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by dualblade
i actually went to school in fairfield for a bit myself. ended up leaving but i spent a year and a half there. you do know you're like 10 minutes from a porsche dismantler, right? just in case, the place is called dc automotive in bridgeport and the guy who runs it (rob) is a great guy. they are a sponsor of the forum
DC Automotive moved down south. I think it was North Carolina

Last edited by TheMAXX; 09-22-2004 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2004 | 09:35 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I disagree, dry is dry. if the car is left open and air circulates everything will dry out.

Jay's suggestion to open the windows a bit and let the heat blow is having the motor circulate the air. The air is crisp and dry this week.

Just open everything up for a few hours a day. He already paid to have the major stuff vacuumed out. I dont think the seats have to be removed yet.

I had a minor flood in my RX7 once when the drain plug clogged. I took the top down and let it sit in front of my house for a day. felt under the seats and all was dry. Not a trace. Convertibles are left out with the top down a lot and the seats are not removed each time.
I'll admit, I'm paranoid about wet carpet padding - my first car had a small leak right over the front/pass. side floormat. It didn't leak that much or that often, but when I took the carpet and padding out a couple of years ago I found rust under where the leak was. It rotted out a circle about 8 inches in diameter and had a few holes where I could look down and see the exhaust. I might be over reacting, but I'd be worried that the bottom of the padding would still be damp until I could see/feel that it was all dry down there.
Old 09-21-2004 | 11:33 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve,
The weather for the next five days is sunny in the mid 70s low 80s. I hear what you are saying. but with the dry days ahead, he should be ok. if he keeps the mats off for a few days things should dry out. dont forget the car has the zinc coating.
Old 09-22-2004 | 08:14 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

See the biggest problem is the guy I payed to take care of it is an *** and barely did anything. Most of the carpet is dry now.. but under the seats is still very wet. He never got under there. Also, when I sit in the seats my pants get wet. The back of the bottom cushin must have water in it.
Is the only good way to get those dry to take the seats up? And how should I dry the seats? Its no fun getting out of a car with the seat of my pants all wet haha
Old 09-22-2004 | 09:43 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

since your seat is wet take them out, lay them on a blanket in the sun with the bottom up and let them dry out.

You can get an inexpensive 6mm allen head that fits on a ratchet from home depot, or you can get a torx i believe #26 from the local auto store. I found using the bit that fits on the ratchet is much easier than the L shaped allen. You can get an L shaped allen for around $2 from the auto store as well.

Just check to make sure it takes a 6mm allen.

slide the seat as far forward as it will go. remove the forward screws in the rear completely. loosen the other two so they will turn with your fingers. slide the seat all the way back and completely remove the two in the front. now slide the seat forward again and unscrew the last two.

installing is the same. hand tighten until you get all six in then use the tool.
Old 09-23-2004 | 12:07 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Okay.. maybe ill try to do that tomorrow during one of my breaks. Thanks
Old 09-23-2004 | 12:20 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

if you dont have to drive anywhere take the seats out, put the bolts in the ashtray and let them dry. when you have to go back to class, or to bed, just put the seats in the car without bolting them in.

do the routine for a few days and everything will be fine.

Just be careful when installing the bolts. if you feel resistance unscrew and start over. you dont want to strip a thread. You are learning on an easy thing to do.
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:37 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
dualblade.. if youd be around to help that would be great.. im up in Fairfield, CT right now at school.. but im planning on bringing the car home this saturday to try to get the seats up and make sure everything is dry or drying properly.
i'll be around all day today so if you'd like some help, count me in. i don't know what you have at your house but i've got a garage at mine if you wanted to come over. i don't mind making housecalls though so i'd be happy to drive there as well. just let me know
Old 09-28-2004 | 12:47 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Hey guys .. sorry i didnt post over the weekend.. i had a school commitment that ran very very late. I ended up not getting home until sunday around noon and didnt have much time.

I took the seats out.. pulled up the carpet (didnt take it out) .. pulled out the back 4 insulation matts or whatever theyre called and theyre drying. (2 were out and dry already.. the other 2 are drying now). The front insulation part i left attached to the rug and in the car, but lifted it up entirely and im letting it dry by a mix of running the heat to dry it out and then leaving windows and such open on nice, warm days. Its at home now so my parents are helping me out with it. I plan to have them put a dehumidifier in in a few days to suck whatever water is left in there.

The insulation mats under the seats and the front of the car were soaking wet once i got to them, so im glad i took it home. I knew the guy I payed here didnt do the full job. I also have the seats out drying. So hopefully all will be good, and ill either pick it up this weekend or get it the following one when I come home. If any of you are still around I may need some help then fixing a few things. Im going to have my mechanic try to fix a wiring problem that causes one headlight to be dim, but I may also try to fix the hatch release while i have the rug pulled up. Ill post more later in the week with what I plan to do.

But thanks everyone for offering to help, and sorry I didnt get in touch.. the weekend just got rearranged b/c of school commitments that got rescheduled. Once again, you guys are the best!

-scott

Quick Reply: UGENT! HELP! MINOR FLOOD