Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater valve to engine hose, where from and method?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004 | 06:35 PM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Default Heater valve to engine hose, where from and method?

Hi Guys,
I've noticed a water leak from the hose that goes from the heater valve to the engine. The hose is L shaped and about 6" long. Would an aftermarket place have a hose like that in stock? Does anyone of you guys know the size of the hose? Finally, what's the best approach to replace the hose? Drain a bit of coolant first, or not worry about it because not much will come out? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-19-2004 | 11:32 PM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Help
Old 09-19-2004 | 11:54 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Do you mean the small hose that comes from the left side of the engine to the top of the HCV? It costs about $3 and is commonly available from mailorder places.

I would drain the cooling system, at least partially. But probably not much will drain out if you don't - it's high.

Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2004 | 12:18 AM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Originally Posted by 83na944
Do you mean the small hose that comes from the left side of the engine to the top of the HCV? It costs about $3 and is commonly available from mailorder places.

I would drain the cooling system, at least partially. But probably not much will drain out if you don't - it's high.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't found that hose yet at a a mailorder place. I have tried Paragon and Pelican. I've got a badly broken leg due to a bike accident, due to that I am not very mobile. I want to make sure that I have the right part available when I replace the hose. What's the easiest way to lower the coolant level a bit without spilling too much of the stuff?

Oh, and while I am at it I want to order cam & blance belts as well as a front seal kit. Do those seal kits contain seals for the crankshaft?
Old 09-20-2004 | 01:22 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

I think this is what you're looking for: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item16

Paragon might have it. I bought a HCV from them.

The only way I know to drain the coolant is from the drain on the left bottom of the radiator. Shouldn't have to jack the car.

If this is the hose on the left rear of the engine, don't spill it out of there. It will go into the hole cut in top of the clutch housing. I replaced a clutch because of a failure of theat $3.25 hose.

I would think that the front sela kit would come with a front crankshaft seal, but you'd better ask. Well worth doing while you're at it. Also, make sure the BS mylar seals are included. And note that the BS seals are different sizes, make sure you get both and put them in the right place.

Sorry about your leg. I broke my ankle about 4 years ago, and it still hurts from time to time.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Heater valve to engine hose, where from and method?