Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing bulky air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Somebody
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing bulky air box

I happily ended up with my fathers bad 951 purchase as a second car and due to it's condition, I'm turning it into a trailered track car. I love the handling and power and am wanting to improve it by stripping it down, way down. I'm at the point where I'm trying to pull out the huge airconditoining box, the one hidding behind the dash. I have detached it completely from the car and am able to pull it out, well swing it out. Since there are approx. 3 brass tubes and a smaller tube running through the firewall into the engine compartment. I'm having a tought time taking my peers advice on just cutting the tubes, since I don't know exactly what will happen. I can not seem to find any information on this part of the 944 in any manual either. So to simply put it, can I cut those lines and forget about them, if I can, is there any precautions to know about?

Also I'm guessing that an a/c delete kit should be installed...

Any information is valued.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:28 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You wouldnt want to cut those tubes without draining all the refridgerent out of the sytem elsewhere.

Dont they have flare nuts or anything on them, or do they just go into the box?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are two core units behind the dash that have two lines each coming from them., One is the heater core, the other is the AC evaporator. I assume you are removing the evaporator and not the heater core.

If it's the heater core, simply undo the hoses leading to it - of course, you should drain the engine coolant first.

If those are the AC lines, you need to have the AC system properly discharged before opening or cutting it. Otherwise, you'll be venting R-12 to the atmosphere - big EPA no-no. The AC lines run along the back of the engine compartment and up the left fender to the rest of the AC gear (compressor, drier, etc). You can remove the lines from the evaporator without having to cut them, but, I'll agree, it is easier to simpy cut them (lines will likely be bent by the time you snake them out of the engine compartment anyway).

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: removing bulky air box