Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need Pics of IceShark Battery CAble kit installed....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan do you have any other suggestions? I really need to rewrap a good portion of the main loom, the wiring looks awful. I will shoot some pics and send them later so you can see what I mean. I thought about shrink tube but some of the connectors are HUGE and would require them to be torn apart and rebuilt, something I am not comfortable with. Do you think the sleeving would be a good choice to cover where the factory wiring is "shrink tubed"?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, send me the pics so I can see what you are talking about.

The problem with retrofitting whole harness sleeve is you are supposed to plan out the construction steps at the front end so you can make cutouts, Ys, and whatnot. Retrofit is frequently impossible to do clean due to the cutouts or termination dimensions. If you saw my headlight harness you would see exactly what I mean. You can't fit an half inch sleeve over a 1 inch plug.

This fiberglass sleeve would be good over your shrink tube areas but you may not be able to slide it over for the above reasons. Shrink tubing can have a 3 to 1 shrink rate, maybe more, but would be too expensive and stiff when shrunk for a total sleeve material. You can get slit corrugated plastic (nylon, poly, etc.) tube that is easy to place over the existing wiring but you need to tie it together (the slit) and do something about where any wires exit as the plastic tube could eventually cut through the wire insulation jackets. They sell exit fittings just for this purpose. But the common slit tubes are only good to around 100 to 150 C. A far cry from fiberglass.

There is sprial wrap, same temperature limits as the plastic tube, but nicer on the wire jackets and cheaper.

Then 3M, and others, make tape that you can wrap around the wires. Sort of an upgrade to the old electrical tape. It is supposed to meld around the wire and seal it up. I think that is only good to 130 C. However, I've never used it so don't know how it will hold up, especially against abrasion.

Hope this has confusted you all to hell.

The unfortunate bottom line is you may need to cut the wiring out and start fresh if the old stuff is really bad.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I will snap some pics later, the wiring itself is not that bad it is the wrap that the factory used. The stuff has 200K on it and it gets a little warm under the hood so it is all very brittle. I have the top end apart so now might be the time to replace/fix etc. it. I will post the pics here so everyone can see, I cant be the only one.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:01 PM
mybaby924s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, I've been thinking of doing the same thing when I do my engine rebuild over the winter. Let me know how it goes and what you use.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:22 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

So just replacing these main engine grounds and positive battery terminal wire to the altenator makes that much of difference. THat is awesome.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Neon, the second you see the cables you will understand why. I bet the negative cable is easily 1.5 times as thick as the stock cable. The positive isnt worth comparing.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Humm... I did a write up about 2 years ago and recently found the pics of mine. I 'm still searching for the write up. I have a few pics of the install to go along with it. Also, I'm rebuilding my site, so the pics are off line for now.... sorry.

Here's the one that got it all rolling. Randy_J the starter.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=full+boat+kit

Man... Andre's write up is far better than mine.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:10 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Brian, boy that is a blast from the past!

Unfortunately, John D. purged all the pictures when he was doing his various upgrades to his 'puters.

Andre's writeup is indeed pretty damn impressive on the battery cables. That took a lot of time and effort and everyone that uses it should send him some sort of present.

The thread by Randy J. was after the huge delay in getting the Cibie lenses. People sent me money and it took something like 5 or 6 MONTHS to finally get the lenses in. I thought a mob would show up and I would get lynched from the nearest tree but everyone hung in and understood as I kept them informed as to what was going on. It was sort of like misery loves company, a band of brothers.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Dan here are some examples of the wiring I was talking about
Old 10-26-2004, 03:25 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Matt - You have a PM.

Quick Reply: I need Pics of IceShark Battery CAble kit installed....