Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"To me, it's always a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, 'Hey, can you give me a hand?,' you can say, 'Sorry, got these sacks.'"

LMAO!!!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tilt the roof like this (Look at the first pic in the thread):
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...l+sunroof+tilt

I don't know if they are meant to do this, but you can.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonioali
gears are stripped, i do have new gears but the cable is a mess so im going manual.
The sunroof "problem" is overrated in these cars IMHO. 944S2NUT told me about a older Porsche mechanic sitting in a customers car, crying and sobbing because a 911s cable drive sunroof system had just buggered itself for the third time in a row. He was crying from frustration. So what if we have plastic gears, at least it isnt some stupid cable drive system on a tiny little sliding sunroof.

To fix the cable unbolt the sunroof motor assembly (the whole unit, dont unplug anything), its three 10 or 12 mm bolts. Youll then see right away where the cable feeds into, its basically a hose that runs up the pillar. Feed it in till it stops (only an inch or so), the stop is it hitting the main drive gear. Using a socket, turn the LARGE nut thats on the front so that it feeds the cable in another inch or so. Bolt the unit back into place or prop it up somehow.

Then hop into the car, hold down the middle microswitch, the one thats behind the interior dome light, and push the sunroof button so that it feeds the cable into the hose itself. Stop feeding it frequently to check to make sure the cable is feeding in straight and doesnt have a kink forming. Feed till it stops itself. Voila cable is fixed. If the switch wont feed it in, keep cranking that one bolt with a socket and driver.

Then follow the instructions on clarks-garage for the gears. When youre at the point where you have to mark the lift arms for their position, when theyre held into the sunroof tracks at the elbow (youll know the part I mean when you get to it) double and triple check all that. The first time I did the gears, I didnt align one of the arms properly, so it stripped the gear again. No big deal, I know the routine now so itll prolly take me half the time.

All things considered, it is a pretty well designed system considering it can tilt the roof when im cruising at 120MPH, and it has the precautions built in that is has.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:27 PM
claw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The electric tilt locks even when opened. Does the Manual? Could be alarming at speed if it doesn't.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by claw
The electric tilt locks even when opened. Does the Manual? Could be alarming at speed if it doesn't.
In the thread thats linked in here theres some pics posted of the manual roofs.... "excuse" for a tilt feature. It props the roof up with the latch handles. Gee, security abounds there Id rather have the electric system's tilt, makes it ALOT harder to simply rip the roof out when its tilted up. Makes it WAY safer to leave the car with the roof tilted on hot days, in un-secure places. In secure places like work, I just leave the roof out and windows down LOL.

Maybe one day ill convert to manual, but that wont be when my car is my daily. If I do remove the electric system, itll be because weight is a concern, and I have already removed A/C, rear seats, etc etc etc.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:38 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I just want to make certain that people understand that I'm not smoking the crack.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:50 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I just want to make certain that people understand that I'm not smoking the crack.
Admitting your problem to yourself, your family, and your friends (online AND real) is the first step of many to ridding yourself of that horrible crack habit.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:53 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Great.

Now I've got 11 more steps to go.

Quick Reply: Questions....