Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good choices for lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good choices for lighting?

I have located these three types of driving lights that I think I might beable to make work inside the 944 bumper, going to cut my old one to add some lights and get a european look. any advice on lighting or if some of the rectangular driving lights on this page will work well?
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Auxiliary_Lamps.htm
there are also a few here....
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/helligstor.html

I am looking for a drastic increase in lighting, and to get something that I can fit in the stock bumper and I can fabricate a way of mounting, any ideas?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently installed a pair of Cibie "Airport" (Series 35) driving Lights. I mounted them under the bumper. They fit nicely just inside the air intake below the bumper, on either side of the license plate. The combination of the cut-out in the flexible front shroud with the shallow depth of the reflectors enabled me to mount them far back enough that they don't stand out any more than the fog lights. They also don't interfere with the beam of the fog lights, and the license plate does not block them.

I thought about the Hella 450 or 550, but went with the Cibie because they use the H2 style bulb, which supposedly is more efficient (puts out way more lumens at the same 12v/55w). I have a friend at GE who is a lighting guru, and he also noted that the H2 is an axial filament (versus the H3 having a radial filament), and for the purpose of a driving light, they can be more precise focusing the reflector around a straight pointing outward line rather than a horizontal line. I wired them with 12-gauge wire and a 30-amp relay with each light having its own line from the relay, and man are those things bright. They are pretty decently focused, too -- not as well as I expected, but better than any other driving light I have ever seen (although I have never been behind rectangular Hellas). But these Cibies are so bright, they make my high-beams look like D-cell flashlights!

Cheers,
Old 09-13-2004, 11:09 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Have you thought about upgrading to the euro driving lights that fit in the stock 944 fog light location? They are the same for the 944na and 924S...
-Erich
Old 09-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Dave
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macfreak007
to add some lights and get a european look.
I just have to ask How do you plan to remove stock parts from a European car and replace them with parts from riceboys yet end up with something "more European?"
Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

What i am interested to see is if somebody will find a source for driving/foglights that will fit nicely and not look ricey in the factory opening. Increasing the light output compared to the factory ones...
Old 09-13-2004, 01:37 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think hes going to take off the rubber bumpers...cut out next to the turnsignals-like the euro bumpers-and put some close look alike euro driving lights in those new holes....
Old 09-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

xsboost hits it on the nose, people will all have their opinions on this, but i am basically just looking for the factory euro front bumper look with some killer lighting. I don't think that Hella or Cibie driving lights are "rice" the factory did infact use Hella for the other lighting...
but yes the goal is to cut the factory bumper to make slots for the upgraded driving lights, I think that these may be quite fun for lighting up the road late at night, and it looks much nicer than those silly bumper pads IMO.
Tony do you have any pictures of the lights that you purchased, I am trying to figureout the best custom mounting solution to get a light like this to mount inside the bumper, what do those lights come w/ mounting wise?
( are they circular?) < I am definately looking for rectangular ones

Quick Reply: Good choices for lighting?