Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day two of TRANNY OVERHAULIN'!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 01:09 PM
1bad914
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold. What would it take to include the marker lights and fogs? I guess I should ask, will it fit an 83? You can email me at: randell.davidson@dla.mil We can discuss the payment arrangement.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Back from the abyss. This is becoming a hot topic of late...
Old 10-25-2006, 11:57 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey! Thanks Alot! Great Stuff!

So far, I have acquired a 10 ton H frame press, a small oven (dental office use), a generic hot plate rated to 750 degrees, 9 different snap ring pliers (snap-on & Kent moore), an Inch-Pound torque wrench, a funky Porsche tool that my neighbor used to install synchros in his 911 (not sure ill have to use it), a CRAP load of press plates, bearing plates/seperators, a few dial indicators and micrometers from Honeywells lab, and a set of feeler gauges. I also have a digital camera and camcorder to document the process so that yougins can see me screw up so they dont have to.

I guess I just need the transmission section of the FSM and im off.

Thanks for bringing this thread back.

Michael
Old 10-25-2006, 12:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 944-LT1

I guess I just need the transmission section of the FSM and im off.
So, you don't have that? I'm certain I have it in electronic format somewhere and can print those pages to PDF for you. Let me know.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these trans are really pretty easy to overhaul I've done seven of them now with great sucess. There is a lot of presswork involved if you have to take the gearsets all the way down. R&P replacement is pretty easy. I do them after I close my shop so nobody disturbs me!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Nice! Thanks fellas!

I got this email from a Pelican employee which scared the bejesus outta me...

Not too many people rebuild 944 transmissions. Its far trickier than your Jeep. It usually costs more than just buying a good used one. There is no kit, but I would guess the parts you are describing cost about $1,500+. I know some of the bearigs on a 911 can cost $300. I have never done a 944, but I have done several 911 trannys (which are totally different) and every time I open one up the cost is about $1,600, just replacing the necessary parts, assuming nothing serious is wrong. A good used 944 trans costs about $200-$300 ( a core 911 trans costs about $700+, and good rebuilt one starts at $1,500). Persomally I would only replace the defective parts, and possibly the front pinion shaft bearing. Then you will need a ton a special tools, some of which cost over $1,000 each and are very hard to find. That tool is for setting the ring and pinion mesh, and there is a known issue with pinion mesh on these cars which is definantly something you want to fix. But the manual for the specification is wrong and you need to set it up a bit looser. How loose I don't know. You would have to ask somebody with allot of 944 trans expericance, and there aren't many. There is also a trick to aligning the 5th gear fork during reassembly you need to be aware of. I suggest you get a set of factory manuals and review the proceedure and the tools you need before you jump into this. I think in the end you'll find it makes more sense to ship the trans off to somebody that knows what they are doing.

Good luck and let me know what you do. Attached is a picture of what happens when the ring and pinion are not set correctly.
I especially looovvveee this part....
I think in the end you'll find it makes more sense to ship the trans off to somebody that knows what they are doing.
I almost cryed.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

That's funny. I rebuilt mine for less than $100 (not including the ring an pinion). Luckily I didn't need to replace any bearings or other serious internal parts. Not to repeat my other posts - but this is a job that a cafeful, patient and relatively competent mechanic can handle. The only special tools I needed were the press, press tools, snap ring pliers and an oven. The rest was careful attention to detail and lots of trial fits.

Let me know if you need any specific help. This is not some black science handed down by some elite mastercraftsmen from the Black Forest...
Old 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Default Just to show it can be done

Here are some before shots....
Attached Images     
Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

A full set of synchros, bearings, and seals for a 944S/T/S2 trans are around $700. I dont think the bearings for a 944 N/A are much cheaper.

You can probably get away with reusing the 4th and 5th synchros - they last a long time. And the input shaft bearings do not take any thrust loads, so they can probably be reused (as long as they dont show significant wear, and the trans does not have a ton of miles on it).

But it only makes sense to replace the major wear items when you have the trans torn apart: pinion and diff bearings, and the 1st-3rd synchros.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
944-LT1
Racer

I got these prices from a Pelican Parts employee.

Gasket set $49.95
All five syncros for $169.00
Pinion bearing set (2 front and back) $154.50
I don't have a problem paying these prices. Damnit, I drive a Porsche!

I DO have a problem having someone else rebuild it for me...makes me feel like I have no control.

Tifo, Would you please! Send me your email so that I can paypal you for your effort. Thanks Again!

Michael
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

No need to paypal me, it's no big deal! It may take me a couple of days to find it though. I *think* it is on my garage laptop. I'll fire it up this weekend and look. If it isn't there, then it is backed up on CD. I'll get back to ya.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:36 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Wow Thanks Tifo, very generous of you. Take your time, im in no rush.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

It can be done with perserverance. One thing that is difficult to come by though is an oven to put the main tranaxle case into. The case needs to be heated to around 300 F to install new bearings (especially the pinion bearing). At this temp, the bearings just drop in but then you need to move the case to the press and put some pressure on them to keep them in placce until the aluminum cools down to hand touch temps (it's in the FSM). Here is a link with some info from my rebuild
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ission+autopsy
I also had access to a metal lathe and so was able to make inexpensive copies of some tools with inexpensive aluminum round bar stock. Getting the gear lash correct is critical and this may mean reheating the case several times to get different shims behind the pinion bearing. It was a royal pain in the *** in my opinion but you have to be patient and get it right.
BTW, the original R&P went at 175,000 miles (early 85 model). While no autocross, the car did have roughly 20 hours of DE time on it. I believe it failed under moderate acceleration and looking at two broken ring gear teeth (with an SEM at work) it certainly looked like low cycle fatigue cracking that grew until overstress. I'm a bit dubious on the case flex theory since the 951 tranies use the same case unless I'm mistaken.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Default Happy ending

Here is a shot of the mostly assembled gearbox before it all went back together.

Below that are other shots - one of the "while you're in there" clutch job and the real payoff.... a trouble free trip to (and from) the 06 944Fest a full day on the track and..... ehem.... a victory in the gimmick rally. (thanks HP Farm)

Recent update - drained out the trans fluid over the past weekend. After about 4.5 years and 31,000 miles. Stuff was still blue and clean (Amsoil synthetic). No chips no discoloration. Very nice!
Attached Images    
Old 10-26-2006, 10:38 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Thanks Scott. Ill get back to you as soon as the synchros come in.

Thanks Again.

Michael

Quick Reply: Day two of TRANNY OVERHAULIN'!