Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed - Cannot Open Passenger Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot Pete, this is easy. Get a 4" hole saw and your favorite drill......

Would a photo of the guts help? I can get you one pretty easily.

Worse comes to worst, door panels are not all that expensive.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteL
Well that helped.... NOT
Trust me, the forum is in dire need of comedy.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:25 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Geo
That would probably help. I am hoping I don't have to destroy anything. I will accept breaking the nylon part that attaches to the back of the lock cylinder, but I hope that is it...Don't want to destroy the door.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:26 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
It's always funny 'til someone puts an eye out.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:08 AM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pete - lots of photos in the 968 Door Handle Upgrade of the inner workings. Look in the sig. As to the issue at hand, The actuator arm "should" release the lock. If the arm is jammed you can disconnect the attachment point and then just pull up on the arm (assuming you can get to it). Tough call with the door locked in place. There are alot of photos NOT in the procedure - let me know if you need something in particular and I'll see if I can dig one up.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:46 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

I think I need to find a way to "pop" the plastic piece off the ball on the handle assembly. I need to know if there is a way to do that with a "slim jim" or similar device. Once the ball is off, I think I should be able to unlock the door. Does this make sense. Visuals of that area would be helpful.
Geo - since your doors are open for inspection, take a look at the possibility of getting in there and popping off the ball.
I feel so stupid about this whole thing.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Did I miss something funny?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:08 PM
nineeagles
Pro

I don't understand why you can't get the interior door panels off....I just replaced both handles on my 84 (maybe the early style door panels come off easier)....I had no problems taking them off (done it about 4 or 5 times now).....it is much easier to work on with the interior panels off and the window up the whole way....you can reach both the lock pin and the handle pin easily.....
Old 09-13-2004, 04:14 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

There are several screws that are behind the frame of the car. The ones on the trailing edge of the door panel, and at least on that is behind the dash when the door is closed. I also think the ones at the bottom are obstructed as well. I will take another look tonight.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nineeagles
I don't understand why you can't get the interior door panels off....I just replaced both handles on my 84 (maybe the early style door panels come off easier)....I had no problems taking them off (done it about 4 or 5 times now).....it is much easier to work on with the interior panels off and the window up the whole way....you can reach both the lock pin and the handle pin easily.....
I'm not sure if you realize, but he CAN"T open the door.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:35 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem recently. I forced the lever (outside car) back to the normal position (when door is closed) that freed the lock button inside the car and once IO unlocked it it opened from the inside. On closer examination it appeared that the outside handle broke internally - where the screw in the door sill attach it to the door.

Hope it is understandable and of some help.
Johan
Old 09-13-2004, 05:48 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

That is what I am afraid will happen. Haven't been too forceful with things yet. I am still hoping to get out of this without breaking anything.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:26 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Pete,
I started thinking about your problem. You can take the door panel off the drivers side right? I would try this:

Remove the lock lift cap and trace the angle of the rod in comparison to that plastic accuator and socket/ball. See if you can get a long narrow screwdriver in through the lifter hole on the locked side. With the lift cap off you should be able to maneuver enough to force that rod off the ball and release the bind between the two pieces. See if its possible first by studying the good door. They never designed them to prevent theft from inside the car! This sounds so logical sitting here in my office but it just may work...beats the hell out of the Sawzall.

Steve
Old 09-13-2004, 07:25 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Yes I can take driver's panel off, and will probably do that soon. I think the biggest hurdle is a steel plate that is behind the door mechanism. I may not be able to get to the assembly. IIRC I tried this before I knew how to quickly and easily remove door handles. It is really difficult to get to the handle even with panels removed.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Geo
Race Director

Geo - since your doors are open for inspection, take a look at the possibility of getting in there and popping off the ball.
Will do. I'll take some pix too. That will be tomorrow morning though if that's OK.

I feel so stupid about this whole thing.
Why? Whodathought?

Quick Reply: Screwed - Cannot Open Passenger Door