Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Do nothing--Caveat Emptor--You're a saint already--CHILL
36.59%
Tell him that his mechanic is screwing him on the parts $$ quote
58.54%
Maybe offer to pay for the waterpump but at fair market (not mechanic mark up) price.
9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

A Moral Question (a little long, as they always are)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004 | 10:49 PM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

Default A Moral Question (a little long, as they always are)

Ok so I sold my 85.5 NA to a high school senior. He worked hard to save up for the car etc. etc. Had the biggggest eyes I have ever seen when he handed me the $3500 in cash. Now the car was not perfect but was in very good shape--I got it for $2900 with 130k mi, but I put a huge amount of money into it (probably $2k+), including new Michelin Pilots, shocks and struts, rebuild/replace of all front suspenion components, slotted rotors, interior fixed (it never had dash cracks ) etc. etc. Car had 162k when sold, but it was due for a front engine reseal with the timing belt replacement, which I fully disclosed to the buyer along with everything else I knew about the car, good and bad. My mechanic said it was going to be $700-800 for the reseal kit and belts. I forgot that it would be sensible to replace the waterpump at the same time, but my mechanic hadn't included it. His mechanic is now quoting like $1k just for parts, including a new water pump, but also all the rollers etc. I feel a little guilty. Should I? I bought the car sight unseen for $2900 and was therefore liable for the $2k I put into it--I accepted that. Even though his dad is a 928S owner, the buyer did not have the mechanic look at it before purchase, but then again, like I said he's a wide eyed 17 yr. old.

What should I do?
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:05 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Something I learned the hard way a long time ago. No matter how much I think a car is in great shape and I have done everything I could to reasonably fix it up, I NEVER sell to someone I know. Reason is that every time I see them they are reminded that they should tell me every little noise they hear and every dollar they had to spend to keep the car up. It is always better when the car is sold across town and I never see the person again. They are used cars and they break sometimes. That being said 1000 seems high for parts for that job.
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well tell the kid he can buy the belts, rollers, pump, and front seal kit for about 450 bucks, his mechanic is trying to make some money off him in parts, which is to be expected. Show him the package deal at 944online, and an engine reseal kit is about 80-100
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:16 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

You know you have no real obligation to the young guy. He should have checked it out first. The money you put into the car has no real bearing here because you were willing to sell it for $3500.

But since you told him what the repair costs would be, I can see how you feel you mislead him. I think I would find out how much your mechanic would charge for the whole job and give person the difference above the estimate you told him. If he chooses to use your mechanic, you're square. If he chooses to use his mechanic, the extra cost is his choice.

That's what a nice person would do, and you're a nice person or you wouldn't even worry about it.
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:17 PM
ernestedward
Instructor

If you know him well enough, offer to help him with repairs. If he's mechanically inclined he can do a lot himself with guidance. You probably wouldn't even need to get your hands very dirty.
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:18 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Help him with doing the job himself. It won't take the both of you that long. Then he'll always be able to do it himself and save real $$$
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:35 PM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I don't know the kid really--I live/work in a small town area where everybody knows everybody, more or less. I teach high school but at a different school from the one he goes to, though he is friends with some of the students at my school. My moral compunction doesn't come from knowing him, but just from trying to do the right thing. And I admit as a high school teacher I have a particular concern for young people.

I can't help him with the repair. First, I've never done this one, and I blew an attempt at an oil cooler seal replacement about a year ago (well, I nicked a new seal and gave up after 2 days). I don't have the time---as a teacher it's not an option, and I have to say my days of enjoying wrenching on cars are waning now that I'm out of my 20s. I have enough work to do on my truck.

He said he was going to do some of the work himself, with his dad. I dunno if that is still the case. I have some leftover parts to give him tomorrow, and I have printed the page from 944online showing the parts for $500, so I'll give him that and go from there.

Thanks,
B
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:40 PM
User 41221
Banned

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, show a man how to fish on Rennlist, and he will be "hooked" on Porsches forever...

Get him to sign on here, and if you really feel bad about the deal, buy him his membership, and you'll be square on the deal. He will save more $ from what he learns here than he would ever get out of you paying the difference on the reseal job. In my opinion, you are already clean on the deal, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Regards,
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:47 PM
AlexS944
Instructor

I think you were up front and honest about what YOU believed the vehicle needed for the specific problem discussed. If the young man is squabbling about a few hundred dollars...he bought the wrong car!! These additional LITTLE problems are on going on an 18+ year old car, his father should have known this!
Old 09-09-2004 | 11:52 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

A Porsche is an expensive car to own, let's face it, we all probably spend a minimum of $1000 dollars a year to keep our cars on the road. Any potential Porsche buyer, especially a newbie, needs to be prudent prior to spending their hard earned money on a pcar. You did everything you could to help the guy out, and as far as i'm concerned you did more than most sellers would, but you need to draw the line somewhere. It's his responsibility to know what he is getting into, have the car checked out, and get information from his own sources; you can't blame yourself for another persons impulsive buy. If he can't afford to do the preventative maintenance, then I think he picked the wrong car. No fault of yours. You did what you could and he can't come back and try to pin anything on you.
Old 09-10-2004 | 08:21 AM
PennyWise
Racer

SH944 : Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, show a man how to fish on Rennlist, and he will be "hooked" on Porsches forever...

I say.. Give a man fire and he will be warm for the night, set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Old 09-10-2004 | 11:11 AM
tcmdocs944
Instructor

Always say "no such thing as a $4000 porsche"

If his dad owns a 928 he should know what he is getting into. If he wants one fully sorted, cough up the extra 4k+.

Better yet, share the manuals with him and invite him to a PCA meeting or Renn get together.

He already has a dad you know.?
Old 09-10-2004 | 11:13 AM
tcmdocs944
Instructor

I sincerily hope you are not feeling guilty for selling him your car at that price?
Old 09-10-2004 | 01:39 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Teaching kid how to buy a car - Dad's job, not your job. This is particularly true if the dad is a Porsche owner! He should have strongly counseled a PPI! This is basic stuff.

That said, what is more valuable - your conscience or your money. Even though you already gave him a great deal on the car, if throwing the kid $250 will make you feel better (and roughly even out the situation), then do it.

Eureka. Man, I miss the northcoast. I spent 2 years at HSU in the early 80's. Is the Samoa Cookhouse still there?
Old 09-10-2004 | 02:02 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

If he wants to replace the pump and rollers too that's his business. You owe him nothing. But explain to him why, so he doesn't go dissing you to your students.

Quick Reply: A Moral Question (a little long, as they always are)