Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark, Fuel, NO FIRE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not thinking this is fuel or spark related. Try checking some of those bigger vaccum leaks. Around the Idle control. I had a seriously cracked air/oil seperator tube that prevented the car from starting. Try checking for a huge air leak, even try pinching the air boot to see if it is tight.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:29 AM
StupEd05
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the air boot as the old one was cracked and shot. I am thinking it is fuel now. I jumped the DME for about 2-3 minutes then popped the fuel rail cap not more than a minute later and no pressure, nada. I do know that fuel is getting to the rail and that the injectors are firing, so Im thinkin that even though the injectors are firing its not pusing enough fuel through them in the time they are open to start it. But this brings me back to my previous problem, when I tried starter fluid it still didnt go? Weird.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:01 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay stuped, HOW did you check for spark?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:30 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

is there sufficient fuel?
wait. wait. wait. i'm not trying to insult your intelligence. but sometimes the most obvious problem is mostl likely neglected.
i had the same problem before, i had replaced , plugs wires cap, rotor. what i failed to do is put it back the way i took it out. i mean the wires were all jacked up. first itwouldn't run then it ran like crap then i finally figured the right way (read the book) and it ran well after that.
i had the same symptoms.
good luck
Old 09-10-2004, 03:14 PM
StupEd05
Pro

How did I check my spark plugs? I pulled them, put them in the wire and grounded it, while cranking. I KNOW fuel is getting to the rail, however I do not have a fuel pressure gauge yet, so I am not sure there is enough pressure. I do know, however, that SOME fuel is getting through the injectors.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:48 PM
special tool
Banned

So you have: sparkplug grounding problem, timing off, no compression or failed fuel pressure regulator (fails closed which allows huge pressure in the rail and shuts off dme drivers).
It is one of these, an 83 NA is a pretty simple machine, dude.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:34 PM
newoldguy
Instructor

Just wondering--before it quit on you, did you have any problems with lighting not working on the dash or elsewhere?? Sometime after my '87 had dead dash lights the car quit running. Turned out to be grounds that needed cleaning. The ones that did the trick were the brown grounds that ran from the driver side up to the fuse/relay box. Your results may vary--your car was an '83? These are maddening problems at the very least.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:05 PM
StupEd05
Pro

lol, its funny you should say that. I did have dash lighting problems and it just so turns out my dash lighting fuse had blown twice. I am probably due for a ground cleaning. Did it totally quit on you? Like not start up at all after a while? Mine backfired everytime right as it died, now its not starting at all! Anyone know where I can get a diagram of where all the grounds are? Would it be in my Service Manuals? Thanx for the idea newoldguy.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:20 PM
newoldguy
Instructor

Well, one day it just wouldn't start. I didn't have any trouble with backfiring. It would crank over but would not catch and start. Some guys suggested the grounds theory so I went on a search (probably should have written them all down for later reference). Like I said, the two that let it light up again were below the fuse/relay box, under the dash, driver's side. Again, your car has a different fuse system I believe but I'd start there. Look for brown wires running from the dash to the fuse/relay box. There are grounds in the engine bay--by the battery to the body, battery to engine, and one in back if you pull up the carpet. There are grounds on my struts, grounds to the starter, and apparently (though I couldn't locate it) grounds behind the glove box. Thing to do is start sleuthing, find them, take them apart, clean with a wire brush, then put a little dielectric compount on and put it back together. Repeat as needed and even if it doesn't solve your problem, you've checked it off your list. Its just going to be one of those maddening problems that you'll be quite gratified if you can find and fix it. Good luck and let us know how its going.
Curtis
Old 09-12-2004, 11:23 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, sorry, I'm on this thread now, has a little more info as to your delema. Even with the variences, the compression would be good enough to fire atleast a little.

AWWWWWWWWWW, oo, ooo... MAKE SURE THE SPARK PLUGS ARE CLEAN AND NOT FUEL SOAKED, ie..fouled.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:24 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

it don't take much starting fluid to be too much, been there before.. check the spark plugs again to shut me up, lol.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:27 PM
StupEd05
Pro

too much starting fluid??? ah, ok, well that could have been it to. Didnt know that was possible...
Old 09-12-2004, 11:29 PM
StupEd05
Pro

It feels like the spark plugs have been somewhat wet everytime I have pulled them out. I guess I figured that since there is no BOOM the fuel that gets shot in just stays there. I have tried leaving the plugs out overnight to get any fuel left in there to evaporate.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:41 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going to have to say for you to get new spark plugs man, if they get good and wet, they do what they call carbon fouling, they'll never be right again and usually just airing them out doesn't do it. Spray them off with the ether and blow them dry, that may help, i've done that before.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:43 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

maybe scrub them lightly with a brass brush or sasnd the inside of the electrodes with sand paper too, just get them clean before they go back in.

Quick Reply: Spark, Fuel, NO FIRE!!!