Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoring Faded/oxidized paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:41 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys

Harry- Tuesday I will be at NAPA to get the 3M Polish and Handglaze. Would it be a bad idea to redo my white quest again? I did the whole car (minus 2/3rds of the hood) with polish and the car looks GREAT, but I'm sure it could look a million times better with a better polish and glaze. Then I'll do the Porsche so there is less chance of me messing up
Old 09-05-2004, 10:59 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

you might wanna do at least a small section of the white quest to check out how it comes out.

if i were you, i would wash the 944 with dawn dish soap.. this way you get all of the nasty silicones and checmicals that turtle wax products have off of the paint.. if not it will look smeary when you are finished.

so wash it, polish it, and hand glaze it. then when you are done, give it a light coat of wax. either maguires or 3m if napa has it. napa usually caries 3m stuff, so they probably will.. as i mentioned before the wax will protect it from oxidising agian..

if youre **** about how the conquest looks do the same. if not, id say **** it.. all of that stuff on one car will easily take a day (and youre arms will be killing you).
also, i would do it by hand. dont go in circular motions.. you'll hav swirls and smears. go in straight back and forth motions..

you'll be lookin pretty in no time.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:03 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah, thanks for the help Harry.. I'll be bookmarking this thread

I washed the 944 with dawn dish shop already! Haven't touched it yet tho, as I said before, the Quest was my experimental car. ..maybe eventually I'll redo the quest, but for now..**** it!

Thanks again
mike
Old 09-05-2004, 11:15 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

sounds good!

the polish will do exactly that.. polish it. the hand glaze will bring it out a bit more, remove swirlmarks, adn give it some depth and richness. then the wax will protect it.

if you still see oxidation after this.. well.. theres not much short of an exorcism or a new paint job that will fix it.

take youre time, do it by hand, straight back and forth strokes, and you should see improvements.

good luck!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:31 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Any luck?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, too many people have strong opinions about their own favorite brand of goop to be able to get rational advice. You're probably OK with any of popular products, just read the instructions and follow them.

It's amazing how many guys get bent out of shape about car polish!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
Mike, too many people have strong opinions about their own favorite brand of goop to be able to get rational advice. You're probably OK with any of popular products, just read the instructions and follow them.

It's amazing how many guys get bent out of shape about car polish!
Gonna have to disagree there. There are "some" good products out there for his SPECIFIC problem. Normal car wax will do little to nothing to a faded/oxidized guards red paint. It's not rocket science but not just anything you pull off the shelf at Walmart will work for your problem either.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Roral
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by alpenweissisnice
On oxidized red paint, Meguier's Scratch-X followed up by Polish and wax works wonders...

I have to agree, my car looked so bad I feared summer, then my old man picked me up some Scratch-X and it looked like a totally different car. Granted its only taken a season and my paint is almost the same condition it was before I used it. But I never waxed or did anything to keep it up. If you would like some pics to see the difference PM me, and i'll email you some.

I was so impress with the product I will swear by Meguier's for the rest of my life.

Steven

Quick Reply: Restoring Faded/oxidized paint